Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

you should start the new thread on big tank to be built (or you already have one? )

let us see more recent pics of your 20g...:)

anyways.. fish look very healthy and happy!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, moga said:

you should start the new thread on big tank to be built (or you already have one? )

let us see more recent pics of your 20g...:)

anyways.. fish look very healthy and happy!!

No thread on the new tank, just using this instead, there's not enough movement to justify opening up one more place to keep track *shrugs*

Here's some photos of the nano!

49624018643_6c4923712c_k.jpg

49706489992_0a787b2d4a_k.jpg

49706170901_eca6c6dce3_k.jpg

Here's pretty much almost all my favorite things in one photo:

49824107777_cfb41a8439_k.jpg

the souls! did you get to go to the show at phantasmagoria in wheaton back in the day with kid dynamite? 

Would have been awesome, unfortunately, no :(

• 2 months later...

Well, it's the end of this build. Tank will be getting picked up this weekend.  

I had some serious reefing hardships over the past few months. While I was on vacation my house/dog sitter used tapwater to top off 5 gallons plus into my ato. I trimmed and moved most of my corals into my downstairs tubs. Some will bounce back, others are completely obliterated. All my softies and lps are completely fine and didn't skip a beat. 

Many water changes (and months) later, the tank continues to grown coraline algae and thrive. I need to clean the sides, but most everything that survived the initial shock is bouncing back and running as usual. Even with all the missing dead colonies, it still looks really nice. 

I'm not getting out, just starting a new build, which is pending finishing my floor, framing, electric, and dry walling. Then careful planning to make sure it's as successful as what I've done here. I'm essentially caring for 5 different systems at the moment, and it's become draining. The biggest piece is I have a Calcium Reactor that I'll be running on the new tank, as well as an Apex and Triton. There's also enough room underneath my stand that I could sleep in there as well! 

Once I financially recover I'll jump back into the SPS waters, but until then I'm going to focus on QT'ing my current stock list:

Powder Brown Tang

Maroon Clown

A Platinum Clown Pair

Yellow Watchman Goby

A trio of Pyramid Butterflys

Emporator Angelfish

Sad to see this one go, but looking forward to the next one!

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Sad to see this one go, but looking forward to the next one!

Yeah, same here, but will build the next one up right as well, I've learned to have some patience! 

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Sounds rough. Glad you’re working past this. When it becomes a full time job it isn’t fun anymore.

You get rid of the other angels?

That's the truth, although, I now have automatic water changes set up right by my tubs, so that's making things A LOT easier. 

I did get rid of the other angels, but not on purpose, I got rid of them into the big ocean in the sky. I made the mistake that most people only make one time, adding a non qt'd fish into the mix. That's another part of the hardships, but I didn't want to complain to much, y'all aren't here to read a sob story :)

28 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I did get rid of the other angels, but not on purpose, I got rid of them into the big ocean in the sky. I made the mistake that most people only make one time, adding a non qt'd fish into the mix. That's another part of the hardships, but I didn't want to complain to much, y'all aren't here to read a sob story

Sorry for the loss. It’s a hard lesson to learn. Been there. Twice, sad to say. I started treating all my fish after that. I also quarantine just about anything wet (eg rocks, livestock etc) to avoid introducing parasites in cyst form. It’s a tedious process, but IMO easier than dealing with an outbreak.

5 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Sorry for the loss. It’s a hard lesson to learn. Been there. Twice, sad to say. I started treating all my fish after that. I also quarantine just about anything wet (eg rocks, livestock etc) to avoid introducing parasites in cyst form. It’s a tedious process, but IMO easier than dealing with an outbreak.

I'm running all the rock and coral fallow for 90 days. Everything is being medicated with copper at the same time, I plan on running all the fish through the nano as well before moving into the new tank. I got a huge reef cleaners order, so all inverts will go through QT at the same time. I'm planning on running the tank I got from you as a frag tank/coral qt tank, however, still debating the space. 

You've been through a few builds. All came out great. I have no doubt that the next tank is going to be a spectacular success.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, Origami said:

You've been through a few builds. All came out great. I have no doubt that the next tank is going to be a spectacular success.

Thanks, Tom. The next one I've been acquiring pieces for for over a year now, including an Apex, Trident, and a Calcium Reactor. It's the slowest I've ever moved, and hopefully that's going to work in my favor! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 3:12 PM, DFR said:

On to the next chapter.  Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds!

Would you believe the wild roller coaster ride? I'm going to keep the nano. Basement build just isn't in the cards right now, despite being almost there with top of the line equipment, rock, half my fish list acquired. Life is funny, and once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right. 

This just means you have to build into your basement a lagoon style tank like the one at WWC!

Alright, let’s calm down just a little, lol.

Once I clear out this gear, I’ll start focusing back on the nano and getting a custom sump built.

Once I clear out this gear, I’ll start focusing back on the nano and getting a custom sump built.
Custom built sump, the size of the WWC Lagoon tank!

3 hours ago, Pedro said:
9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Custom built sump, the size of the WWC Lagoon tank!

You're out of control. And I'm here for it. 

57 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Giant refugium, with crocodile for added nitrates.

I have the crocodile, just need the fuge! 

22 hours ago, YHSublime said:

...once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right. 

I see what you did there. Name checks out.

I see what you did there. Name checks out.

Someone’s paying attention.

It’s actually a Grateful Dead lyric & song, but Sublimes cover slaps.

Here is my starting point, what my reef currently looks like as of tonight:

50296346366_e70c512071_k.jpg

50296503807_fd994cc94e_k.jpg

Right now I'm just seriously uninspired.