Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

On 8/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, AlanM said:

I also love the idea of a huge remote sump and small display full of stuff that you shouldn't be able to keep in such a little display.

My worry with those was always that if you're pumping water upstairs you are using a pretty strong pump and if anything goes wrong you don't have any buffer for extra water in the display, heh.

I guess that's fair, I mean, it is KINDA a pipe dream, although I think if I thought it out, sketched it out, and advocated hard enough, I could make it happen. And by make it happen, mean get partnership approval. And by partnership approval, I mean get an OK from the boss. 

I'm currently running a Herbie overflow, I think a Bean Animal wouldn't fit, unless it was custom, but I still wanted to make sure the back wall had some space for an Ecotech MP, and of course, the return. 

It's definitely a warranted concern though, especially with GSP growing all over my overflow, I've found that it has to be trimmed down now as part of my regular maintenance schedule, or else I do get overflowed water! 

51418001946_573470dd80_k.jpg

In recent news, I have been searching for some peppermint shrimp, I found a coral I brought in about 6 months ago had some aphasia on it that I didn't catch. I didn't find any peppermints in stock, but I did get a massive CUC, and some new Lightening Maroons, who will be the only fish in the 10 gallon.

51417256372_7c3de50e2e_k.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, AlanM said:

I also love the idea of a huge remote sump and small display full of stuff that you shouldn't be able to keep in such a little display.

My worry with those was always that if you're pumping water upstairs you are using a pretty strong pump and if anything goes wrong you don't have any buffer for extra water in the display, heh.

This is what Julian Sprung did on his 15 gallon back in the day. 75 gallon sump makes a nano easy!

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I guess that's fair, I mean, it is KINDA a pipe dream, although I think if I thought it out, sketched it out, and advocated hard enough, I could make it happen. And by make it happen, mean get partnership approval. And by partnership approval, I mean get an OK from the boss. 

I'm currently running a Herbie overflow, I think a Bean Animal wouldn't fit, unless it was custom, but I still wanted to make sure the back wall had some space for an Ecotech MP, and of course, the return. 

It's definitely a warranted concern though, especially with GSP growing all over my overflow, I've found that it has to be trimmed down now as part of my regular maintenance schedule, or else I do get overflowed water! 

51418001946_573470dd80_k.jpg

In recent news, I have been searching for some peppermint shrimp, I found a coral I brought in about 6 months ago had some aphasia on it that I didn't catch. I didn't find any peppermints in stock, but I did get a massive CUC, and some new Lightening Maroons, who will be the only fish in the 10 gallon.

51417256372_7c3de50e2e_k.jpg

I cannot wait to see how mean that female will get. We had the ocellaris pair in that tank and the female  bit my hand every time I was in there. Drew blood sometimes. And she still does in the new tank. I wonder how clownfish sushi tastes?

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

What's going on? What 10g? Need picts! Don't hold out on us... :biggrin:

Post #581

This is @tpallas old nano. It's a real beaut, but took a lot of cleaning up. Originally my buddy @Alex Simpson after doing all the varnishing work, was going to set it up at his place, but he kept popping breakers. TBH, I wasn't really looking for a new tank, so it's been this background project that has just been cycling for almost 6 months now. I started ghost feeding (probably heavy) and ended up seeing some rapid hair algae growth, so finally upped my CUC for both tanks, and put some fish in there, as you can see above. As of now it's the clown pair, rock, and a few frags all on a rack. My zoanthids do really well in there, probably the dirty water, so there's that. 

• 3 weeks later...

What if you kept your current sump and plumbed sump to sump? Would that just over complicate things, or allow you for a larger safer drain to the big sump?

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

What if you kept your current sump and plumbed sump to sump? Would that just over complicate things, or allow you for a larger safer drain to the big sump?

i was trying to clear up under the stand, it’s really just all crazy talk, everything is great with this tank!

Well, 3+ weeks out from my alk crisis, and appear to have regained control without too much damage. It's wild how some of the SPS started to fade, but some of the SPS immediately just started growing as soon as it got a bit more. All in all, outside of feeding, this tank is pretty much on auto pilot. 

Here's a side I normally don't share as much, as it's harder to get photos in a tight space. 

51497072048_2a5ea25d4a_k.jpg

51497072018_75938dcffa_k.jpg

51497776030_eaf01f9456_k.jpg

Looks great Isaac! Side question. What are you putting your baster in?

image.png.38090604dcaf7dd9279f42b1f86ca111.png

I've been searching for something to hold turkey baster, tongs, etc in an upright position that allows it to drain and dry. Not necessarily off of the DT. Still haven't found anything yet.

10 hours ago, roni said:

Looking good buddy.  That undata looks great.   Almost a little like the leng sy cap

Gracias! That undata is Jedi Mind Trick, and I actually thought I had rid my tank of it, until it just came out of nowhere again. Kind of like how the digi has taken over the bottom side of the tank as well. At this stage half the glass bottom is covered in coral. 

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Looks great Isaac! Side question. What are you putting your baster in?

I've been searching for something to hold turkey baster, tongs, etc in an upright position that allows it to drain and dry. Not necessarily off of the DT. Still haven't found anything yet.

You're not going to like the answer, it's my overflow. I lazily put it there a few years ago, and now that's it's place. 

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

You're not going to like the answer, it's my overflow. I lazily put it there a few years ago, and now that's it's place. 

I had a feeling that's what it was. Creative though!

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, tpallas said:

I cannot wait to see how mean that female will get. We had the ocellaris pair in that tank and the female  bit my hand every time I was in there. Drew blood sometimes. And she still does in the new tank. I wonder how clownfish sushi tastes?

Well, we're almost two months in (WHAT? WHAT IS TIME?!) and so far they are fine, no nipping at hands, no blood, yet. 

I'm not going to lie, I wasn't excited about this tank at first. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, but this is responsibility I wasn't looking to take on. It's very much grown on me over the past month. Because I wasn't excited, I took my time. The rock cycled for 3 months, then I added a CUC, then I started moving some overflow corals over. Then I added the Lightening Pair. Zoas love the lighter flow situation and puff up huge compared to my other tank. The hammers gently sway and grow so fast. It won't be long until it looks like a rainbow in there, every 2" or so has a small zoa colony glued down. 

51629559726_6802346154_o.jpg

Here's the peninsula. About a year ago I dropped my Alk Hannah Checker into a bucket of water and fried it. When I got another one about 5 months ago and tested my alk, it had plummeted to about half of where it should have been. As I brought it up a few pieces started to STN, but they eventually stopped, and now are starting to come back. Most pieces were not even phased, which I guess is another testament to consistency, even if it's not great parameters. 

51629784363_e74d43c9f6_o.jpg

51629784833_21a1f19c06_o.jpg

51629559611_bce1a472fb_o.jpg

51629559541_b564197d3e_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, roni said:

So much goodness in a small package! What's the blue acro under the mummy eye in the last pic?

Thanks for the kind words!

That's just a Cali Tort, when my tank crashed it was one of the only acros that didn't even skip a beat. Some other acros that I thought had died but now have come back from what must have been like 1 polyp: RR Pink Cadillac, JF Fox Flame, Strawberry Shortcake. 

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The clowns are loving it!

Took them all of but 3 minutes to find it, I'm honestly shocked it was able to plant it's foot down before they started loving up in it. 

15 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Took them all of but 3 minutes to find it, I'm honestly shocked it was able to plant it's foot down before they started loving up in it. 

I'm glad it's doing well, even with the loving it is getting.

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Glad we waited an extra week for the nem to heal before letting the clowns go to town.  Looking bubbly too.

9 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Glad we waited an extra week for the nem to heal before letting the clowns go to town.  Looking bubbly too.

Same, look at them rattling and rolling in there. It’s been just over 24 hours, and it looks like maybe it’s coming around to the front. Either way, still on the rock! I’m going to give it a few days, and if it doesn’t turn around I might flip the rock.