YHSublime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, moga said:

nice !! so tempting to start a new tank which i am selling!.. arg!!

I know the feeling! 

You have a beautiful tank already, no sense in messing with another one! When (IF) I ever get a bigger tank, it will be in the 180 gallon range again, and I will keep montis, and birdsnest, and gsp, and all the angelfish I swoon over. 

yes. if I do.. I will keep Anemones only with pink skunks .. lots of it.. :)

until then !!! 

16 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I know the feeling! 

You have a beautiful tank already, no sense in messing with another one! When (IF) I ever get a bigger tank, it will be in the 180 gallon range again, and I will keep montis, and birdsnest, and gsp, and all the angelfish I swoon over. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a real big week for this tank! For starters, I ended up pulling the trigger on a frag pack that was looking real nice: vivid confetti, wwc pink panther, wwc king Fiji, & wwc pink passion. Upon loading everything up onto my already packed frag rack, I determined that I 1.) Have a problem 2.) had to rescape if I wanted to get the rack off the side.

I've been on the lookout for a few more fish, and the universe aligned and I got 2 great candidates. First was a Midas Blenny. What I thought was going to be a traditional blenny is actually the blue/purple kind with a yellow tail, which upon research is the harder one to come across. I know they change colors when stressed, but I can assure you this greedy guts fish is not stressed. It's been less than a week and this glutton is pretty much eating from my fingers.

The second is a spotted mandarin. This came from a tank with another mandarin who was abusing it pretty bad (2 males in the same tank.) While there is a few bite marks on it's back from being attacked, it's eating frozen every time I feed, and seems to snack on pods all day long, as expected. I was worried the blenny was going to be aggressive, but they seem to have gotten it worked out.

With the rescape came the chance to take out rocks and do a water change. I was able to do a comprehensive sweep of the bottom of the tank and rid all the clutter and detritus, with a not so smooth coraline bottom left behind! While I was at it, I noticed I've been getting a bit of hair algae through out the tank, and it's probably because I need to change my RO/DI filters. So I ordered some new ones, and figured it's probably been about or close to 2 years on the membrane, so ordered one of those as well.

I still have to go in and snap off the bottom of the frag plugs and glue them back, I was so excited about getting my frag rack gone I simply glued the full plugs and all to the rock, and it looks sloppy. I was also able to pack the dragons breath a little tighter back in the corner.

What is everybody's thoughts on the new back end of the tank?

48745419097_b14bc9d0d9_b.jpg

48744905763_bc86be8841_b.jpg

I really like the GSP overflow and return.  Somehow I couldn't grow the stuff in either of my tanks.  The whole tank looks sparse with the currently clean bottom even though it's packed with coral.  Lots of nice room for stuff to fill in down there.

1 hour ago, AlanM said:

I really like the GSP overflow and return.  Somehow I couldn't grow the stuff in either of my tanks.  The whole tank looks sparse with the currently clean bottom even though it's packed with coral.  Lots of nice room for stuff to fill in down there.

I've never had an issue with growing GSP! As a matter of fact, you might remember I had to remove it off my floor because it was starting to grow onto the rock! Looking over the photos I should have at least cleaned the side of the tank, but oh well! 

I wish it was as sparse as it's appearing. When I had the par meter, the floor is getting around 150, while the top of the rock under the LED clusters is hitting close to 550. The prime locations with a perfect amount of flow (that being not a massive amount) are already populated by zoas that are growing on the glass. Anything along the sides of the rock is hard to trim or care for, especially on the glass bottom, as it's hard to even fit my hand flat down along the side. 

My lesson is learned though, without moving anything out, I can't fit anything else in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, semi large update -

Pending a home inspection we are going to be moving into a house by October 31st. It's only 45 minutes away from the tanks location, but we still have to get the floors finished before moving everything over.

In the past, I've always enjoyed a good re-boot, but I'm thinking about attempting the move and setting up as is. While we will have the space for me to finally pull in a 180-250, I have really enjoyed focusing on a smaller tank, and have found it to be just as rewarding.

I guess it can't be all good. I do have some very mild spots of what appears to be bryopsis popping up. I do have fluconazole on hand, and wonder if I will stress the tank if I dose before moving it. That and while I've been so busy, my PC Rainbow snuck onto my JF Homewrecker plug and RTN'd the thing to death. I guess the silver lining there is in than less than 2 weeks the PC Rainbow grew/encrusted 1/4-1/2".

Anyways, here's some photos from tonight!

48789938333_9def837284_b.jpg

48790301536_8ec0ec770d_b.jpg

48790446947_9df8072e57_b.jpg

Hey,

When you are ready to move.

Count me in if you need an extra pair of hands and help

mIlton

20 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Looks great! Congrats on the new house!

Thanks! It's terrifying but also exciting!

19 hours ago, menglish said:

Hey,

When you are ready to move.

Count me in if you need an extra pair of hands and help

mIlton

Thanks for the offer, Milton! I've luckily been really great about keeping quasi-nomadic over the past couple of years, this tank included. I set everything up with the intention of being able to break it down and set it up again with ease. 

I think I can move everything in the car, my SO thinks it will take a box truck. The tank will move in the car regardless of what the options for moving it are :)

39 minutes ago, Sharkey18 said:

Congratulations! 

Thanks! Although we wont be neighbors anymore :(

3 hours ago, moga said:

Congrat.. !!! bigger tank please.!!!

Haha, thanks! Not off the bat, gonna work with what I've got for now! 

• 3 weeks later...

Take the opportunity to get these things into a bigger tank; keeping SPS in smaller tanks is a giant pain in the butt. They really need at least 8-12" between them (at minimum) so they can spread their wings or you're in the tank every couple weeks to trim them down. I've thrown so many frags in the trash it is unreal.  

Take the opportunity to get these things into a bigger tank; keeping SPS in smaller tanks is a giant pain in the butt. They really need at least 8-12" between them (at minimum) so they can spread their wings or you're in the tank every couple weeks to trim them down. I've thrown so many frags in the trash it is unreal.  

We’ve got a short amount of time to figure it out. If it happens, it happens, but I’m not going to push it unless I find exactly what I want. I’d like to see a 4’x2’18”, but there are some alternatives in the works, possibly.

• 1 month later...

Aside from being in a new space, you probably can't tell there's anything different about it!

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flive.stati

did any of the colonies broke during transit?

I bet you now have lots of frags :)

On 12/3/2019 at 9:14 PM, epleeds said:

Of course there is something different. The pics don’t load. Hahahah

Well, I can fix that!

On 12/3/2019 at 9:18 PM, menglish said:

did any of the colonies broke during transit?

I bet you now have lots of frags :)

Nothing broke during transit! I had a couple of things sting a few other things, but for the most part, they are bouncing back already. Even the GSP on the overflow that was in very cold temps and not covered in water has started to come out again. I need to change out all my RO/DI filters, I have them all, and a new membrane, just been very lazy. 

49166338812_c4d618880c_b.jpg

49166338897_34b95be2fe_b.jpg

49165629223_3883e108d9_b.jpg

49166103996_a4d400e94f_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...