YHSublime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Looks like the torch is settling in nicely.

Everything is, but the torch is boss. With the amount of SPS I've lost lately, I'm constantly considering swapping over into LPS/softies, like I originally planned this tank to be 3 years ago. 

52 minutes ago, tpallas said:

Do you know what happened to the SPS?

Yeah, over the summer my tank sitter topped off my tank with DC tap water for a week while I was on vacation. It'll do it every time. 

9 minutes ago, tpallas said:

Cringe! Man that sucks. Nice rainbow trachy tho!

:rollface:

I used to think I had the nicest one this side of the Mississippi, but turns out there's a few of you on WAMAS that like to showboat. 

Very nice, Isaac! Do you normally keep the water that low or were you doing a water change?

Just now, howaboutme said:

Very nice, Isaac! Do you normally keep the water that low or were you doing a water change?

Thanks. 

And absolutely not. I had the pumps turned off, that's why it looks so dirty above the water line. 

So I recently picked up this Mr. Aqua 11.4 from @tpallas and if you've been following my build, then you know I'm partial to two things: Mr. Aqua Tanks and Nanos. It needed a bit of elbow grease, but I think I cleaned it up pretty nice. Got new hardware for the doors, scraped off all the salt creep, and tore the tank down to just glass and cleaned everything up. 

This is the "closet" in my office, and it's right by the 22 long.

51018803093_4b3896fc32_k.jpg

One of my buddies, convinced he could make it look much better than before, came over and sanded everything down.

51018803253_f46646c3df_k.jpg 

The wood is walnut, and it's got a great pattern in the grain, I am looking forward to seeing it varnished, which will be an endeavor for next week. 

I'm thinking an AI Prime for a light, anybody have some different ideas?

You cleaned that up nicely! What are the dims of the tank? 1 AI prime may be stretching it unless you mount it higher and turn it way up. Depends what you're doing I guess.

44 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

You cleaned that up nicely! What are the dims of the tank? 1 AI prime may be stretching it unless you mount it higher and turn it way up. Depends what you're doing I guess.

It's still got some work, but the stand is going to be gorgeous. It's 18.9" long 11.8" deep, and 11.8" high. I guess realistically I was looking at the HD version, I'd think that it should be more than enough, I think their specs are designed for 24"x24" but haven't found that written down yet.

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

It's still got some work, but the stand is going to be gorgeous. It's 18.9" long 11.8" deep, and 11.8" high. I guess realistically I was looking at the HD version, I'd think that it should be more than enough, I think their specs are designed for 24"x24" but haven't found that written down yet.

I was assuming you were talking about the HD version. 18.9"? For some reason that tank looks wider but yes, you should be good! 24x24 max, 18x18 is optimal but again, it all depends.

6 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I was assuming you were talking about the HD version. 18.9"? For some reason that tank looks wider but yes, you should be good! 24x24 max, 18x18 is optimal but again, it all depends.

I can't imagine needing anything bigger, but I do like to be over the top, for example, you might have thought it was longer because I have it pictured with x2 MP10s! Or maybe you see the stand on it's side in the sanding photo? Either way, it's bitty! 

3 hours ago, tpallas said:

What 5 year old siliconed that tank?

Just a polished turd :)

The AI prime was really perfect for the footprint. Before that I had the Sol. If you dont mind trading off controllability and power for price and cheaper profile, a Nicrew could work too, depending on what corals you're growing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hows that frag tank looking?

Baller! My buddy has been working hard on the stand, I’ll get some photos up in a bit. Tank is still empty though.

• 2 weeks later...
Where’s them pics??

18f3e71f88bf06ee2f176cc1449ebca4.jpg

2fd3dbf5cfec8977d690fb7f1ccaea37.jpg

It needs another light sanding, and a few layers of varnish, but it’s coming along. @alexsimpson is crushing it.

On the nano though, I spent about 5 hours this morning and afternoon swapping out my sump. Pulled the trigger systems out, and out in my aqua box. I also added a finnex heater and controller, as well as filter socks. I found a frag plug in my plumbing, weird. Anyways, the loudest thing I hear now is my skimmer pulling air. I’ll miss the white noise of gurgles.

409306204f2bfa37a7242960dbb68540.jpg

Nice!!!

Yeah, it’s actually a huge update, I probably should have put some time into it on the desktop vs the phone, but I’ve been breaking in a new offset overnight. I’m going to bed now!

4 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Yeah, it’s actually a huge update, I probably should have put some time into it on the desktop vs the phone, but I’ve been breaking in a new offset overnight. I’m going to bed now!

Yeah it looks very good. Do you have a most recent picture of the last sump setup? Did you redo the plumbing? I bet you could fit that Trident mount on the left side there. Anyways post more deets when you wake up.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, tpallas said:

Yeah it looks very good. Do you have a most recent picture of the last sump setup? Did you redo the plumbing? I bet you could fit that Trident mount on the left side there. Anyways post more deets when you wake up.

Sorry for the lag here. I honestly wasn't sure if I had glued my prior final PVC pieces into the sump, so ended up cutting the final elbows off and redoing them, but other than that, plumbing stayed the same. This is a testament to using unions.  Putting the new sump in, I realized I essentially traded one bomb sump for another, there was absolutely no reason to swap them out, other than I guess I got to clean out below, which should have been done. I also found a frag plug in my plumbing, and have gotten the system down to completely silent... which is a little annoying because all I hear is the air draw from my skimmer pump, lol. I have some photos prior, but it's very close to a wall, and I can only capture a full view on my iphone with the wide lens view, let me see if I can find them.