Lynn's Fish Room

Neighbors boat? Looks like you've got a nice run of back yard for your pups. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neighbors boat? Looks like you've got a nice run of back yard for your pups. 
Yea, would be nice if the boat was mine .

Doggies will love the yard. I really like how long it is so we can play ball. The home is actually smaller than what we have now so the intention is to add an ADU later on so fhe extra yard is def needed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

We are officially moved in! Our home in Glen Burnie sold within 3 days on the market so that was super nice!!!

Unfortunately, the move did not go as well as planned. We had a lot of issues that arise in the new home that delayed bringing the corals and fish over and force me to neglect the temporary tank in the old house. The lack of attention and instability of the system caused a lot of my corals to die off. The unfortunate results of moving. Sometimes, regardless of how much planning you do, things happen that is out of your control.

When you hit your low, that's when you see the generosity and beauty of the folks in our community. I had a lot of good-hearted folks both on WAMAS and outside help me through the struggle these past few months. I don't think I would have stay in this hobby without them. 

From helping me babysit some corals, set up the system, the plumbing, to fixing my electrical, to giving me so many corals to help rebuild my tank. Thank you so much @Modbox360 @JJKK@jhOU@telegraham @PupChow @LiVEWiRE @RW09903 @scott711@Llemonz

If I miss someone, I am really sorry. I am trying to best to remember everyone's WAMAS username :lol:

I recently sent in an icp-analysis test to see what my RODI water is like since I switched to well water. 

There seems to be a lot of extra stuff. I might send in an extra test for the RODI and one for the water right out of the faucet to see if there is a big difference and weather or not I need to add additional filtration. I'm currently using a BRS 7-stage. 

RODI water from well water
image.thumb.png.0e03b4369a2eb72efe66bb5a50299543.png

Test from my reef atm

image.thumb.png.878859012efd0b191fb825bebcb3fa6e.png

First of all,  Congrats with your new home!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss during the move. Glad you got help from many Wamas Members and continues with the reefing addictions ?. Can’t wait to see your rebuild in your new home. Best wish!

17 hours ago, flooddc said:

First of all,  Congrats with your new home!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss during the move. Glad you got help from many Wamas Members and continues with the reefing addictions ?. Can’t wait to see your rebuild in your new home. Best wish!

Thanks Chuck. 

I'm a bit shy to show my horrible plumbing job. :biggrin:

I got some frag tanks but I want to see if I can build rock structures for them. I'm not a fan of just frag tanks. Looking into shelf rocks or possibly have AquaRocks build something cool? 

Sorry about how rough the move was but glad the wamas family stepped up to help.  You can't be any worse of a plumber then me so feel free to show it off

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, roni said:

Sorry about how rough the move was but glad the wamas family stepped up to help.  You can't be any worse of a plumber then me so feel free to show it off

WAMAS has been super great for me! I am super happy that Mok-yi got me into this  group! 

Late on the update! So much has happened and I haven't had time to do a good update on the fish shed. 

I recently caught velvet in the system and is still in the middle of treating the fish. Not sure where it came from but I did not add new fish to the system. I did add new corals and an order of inverts. 

I did have a long conversation with Humblefish. Between him and Bobby (WAMAS), I was able to start a treatment plan for the fish. I did end up losing about half my livestock before the 30 days of copper ended. I'm hoping the rest will be good to go. Since i'm already doing QT, I decided to just do the entire 76 days fallow so kill off any ich if they are in the tank. 

Since the last update, I did finish up the fish room, added the minisplit and we had a fun time getting water into the fish shed :)

No description available.

The RODI system was set up and we hooked up a sink to make water. The pressure is SUPER low because of the distance so I am hoping to upgrade the well pump in the future. 

284103161_429897458959418_2411200104367524310_n.thumb.jpg.9ec0d4581bf85b68316e26600a72dfe0.jpg

284134524_1387279385078700_4976659903602089279_n.thumb.jpg.0e2db6f563d336a07dec23db7dfe8807.jpg

Here is the setup I ended up making for the fish. It was horrible catching them all and breaking down all the rock structures. It works but definitely a quick one day work.

283833779_337797091801193_5502800758956109981_n.thumb.jpg.c7218bf68ad098fab3d9bf7429da434f.jpg

On 5/29/2022 at 7:17 PM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

I recently caught velvet in the system and is still in the middle of treating the fish. Not sure where it came from but I did not add new fish to the system. I did add new corals and an order of inverts. 

Be careful where you order inverts. The best source will be from a system that is fishless. If it is not fishless then there is always a chance that the usual issues in a fish tank can be in the the invert system and stuck on shells, etc. If you're ordering online, it may be hard for them to give you an answer. If local, you can at least see for yourself. Good luck! Exciting process so far.

Sorry to hear about the fish. Nice to have a whole shed dedicated, but a bit of a pain being so far from the house! I want a dedicated sink for cleaning beer equipment, we have a long list of projects until I can even do anything further with the tanks. 

I think you'll appreciate the extra QT time, I really enjoyed watching my tank fishless for so long the last time I QT'd my entire stock, which was a super long time ago. 

On 5/29/2022 at 8:17 PM, monkiboy said:

Sorry to hear about the challenges but glad you got some wonderful help.

Thank you. We do have a good group of folks here.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:41 AM, howaboutme said:

Be careful where you order inverts. The best source will be from a system that is fishless. If it is not fishless then there is always a chance that the usual issues in a fish tank can be in the the invert system and stuck on shells, etc. If you're ordering online, it may be hard for them to give you an answer. If local, you can at least see for yourself. Good luck! Exciting process so far.

Yeah, learning experience for me. I recently just order another batch but QTing them for sure this time. Don't want to risk anything anymore. 

On 6/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, YHSublime said:

Sorry to hear about the fish. Nice to have a whole shed dedicated, but a bit of a pain being so far from the house! I want a dedicated sink for cleaning beer equipment, we have a long list of projects until I can even do anything further with the tanks. 

I think you'll appreciate the extra QT time, I really enjoyed watching my tank fishless for so long the last time I QT'd my entire stock, which was a super long time ago. 

The tanks look pretty sad without fish though. Pods and algae are over taking them right now. I didn't realize how much pods I have until all the fish are gone. I do enjoy the shed a lot but I hate that it's so far from the main house. I feel like I don't spend enough time in the house and play with my doggies. Once the QT period is over, I need to put some doggy beds in that area and have the pups with me more. 

I did put in a minisplit for the room to maintain temp around 76 degrees with addition of a dehumidifier to maintain around 40-50%. 

1654436902140.thumb.jpeg.6ba3668ddbb81b8974e2addfa84ca276.jpeg

Stupid me, I had some guy from Facebook install it and not a legitimate company. The unit started leaking and it was a pain to get him to come out and fix it. Found out that the drain cord he installed was kinking and causing it to not drain correctly. His solution was the slice the cord. In doing so, he ended up slicing my cat6 internet cable. 

The distance from the home made it impossible to get wifi to the shed. We had the cable burried along with the water hose from the main house to the shed. This is the only source of internet to the shed and I was out of wifi for the period (no connection for all the equipment and monitoring :mad: )  Fortunately, Ellie said she is able to help me fix it. From all this work, one thing I learn: there are things that it's worth hiring the right people even though it cost a lot more. 

SUMP:

I'm currently using a 100gal rubbermaid sump. I was hoping to get a larger one but it would not fit in my car so this is good for the time period. Another reefer is giving me a nice acrylic sump and I am in the process of trying to make a trip to pick it up (4 hour round trip). 

Two return (one from the main display and one from a frag/hoarding tanks)

1654437228365.thumb.jpeg.abb2a17e963256df086e3f5d36fe1808.jpeg

The initial plan was to build a large tank (300-400 gal) to fit the side of the shed, but after all the projects to get the fish shed ready, I was out of $$$$. Todd offered me 4 of his frag tanks after he downsized his coral system. The price was too good to say no, so I ended up with 4 - 60gal seapora frag tanks + stand! This is after setting up, my horrible plumbing job, and adding all the lights. 

1654437117695.thumb.jpeg.d04b959d5dfc46af715366d30250e80b.jpeg

From left to right:

1: 
1 x XR30 gen4 pro
1 x XR15 gen4 pro
1 x Jebao SLW20

2: 
2 x XR30 Gen5 Pro
T5 hybrid (4 bulbs)

1 x Red Sea Reefway 25

1 x Jebao SLW30

1 x Jabao OW40

3: 

2 x XR30 Gen5 Blue

T5 Hybrid (4 blubs)

1 x Red Sea Reefway 25

1 x Jebao SLW30

1 x Jabao OW40

4 x XR15 Gen5 Blue

1 x Red Sea Reefway 25

1 x Jebao SLW20

So that’s where all the 60G Seapora tanks have been hiding! :biggrin: Been trying to find one for a year! 

The room looks amazing! Let me know if you need help repairing the Cat6 cable.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, DaJMasta said:

Very impressive!  Things are really coming together quick.

Thank you! 

On 6/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, Blue Tang Clan said:

So that’s where all the 60G Seapora tanks have been hiding! :biggrin: Been trying to find one for a year! 

The room looks amazing! Let me know if you need help repairing the Cat6 cable.

BHAHAHA!! I am a hoarder of all things :) . Thank you but I think I should be ok with the cable. 

On 6/8/2022 at 7:56 AM, AlanM said:

Facebook guy comes back to fix it.  Job done!

image.png.a4e24968713a757002a09720eeabf1e7.png

I honestly don't trust him anymore and don't want to go back and forth with him. 

As a lesson learned, I was determined to start a QT system for all things coming into the tank (corals, inverts, fish).

A buddy dropped off two stands with 10 gal tanks for me to use as a fish QT. I am thinking of using the top two for tank transfer and possibly the third as a copper alternative. I haven't thought it out too much though but it will still be a while until I get more fish in.

At the moment, I am still trying figure out all the equipment and logistics of the whole process but I have been watching all the videos from Humble.Fish channel.

285858020_466695835218515_1931154275495940083_n.thumb.png.b39e6466ed75a9b40b8678b03c5c79f0.png

I also picked up a small tank from another local hobbyist who had no need for it. It was perfect for what I needed. It's a small (30 gal???) AIO.
- Skimmer
- Finnex 100W
- Hydra 26
- Jebao SL5
- Old MP10
- Hydros controller + ATO
- Dosing All-For-Reef with Kamoer X1
- Will be adding an old KHG

286379042_526536365837824_1459896494570414289_n.thumb.png.cad6976ddbd66e241848609747e41939.png

I did pick up some frags that were left with a buddy while I moved homes. Unfortunately he was hit with AEFW, so I dipped and re-plugged all the frags. Just hoping they will be ok for the next few months. The plan is to dip everything (KCl) weekly for the next 8 weeks. I am also dosing the tank with wormwood as an extra measure.

I made another order of hermits and threw them in there also ... because why not since I'm already QTing the corals.

Crossing my fingers they will be ok and not get too stressed.

For the QT tanks, while I think humblefish may be the gold standard, BRS has been doing a series of videos on their youtube with the owner of Marine Collectors that outlines their recommendations for quarantine and treatment with their standard procedures.  While they're spaced out, they seem to be very informative and have a lot of practical information of how to dose, what to monitor, how to setup, how to clean up, and the sort of order and likelihood of various treatments and problems.

Could also look into Interceptor treatment for AEFW - I've heard it can be quite effective and it should be much less risky to attempt in a coral QT tank - plus I think it's fairly fast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 5:26 PM, DaJMasta said:

For the QT tanks, while I think humblefish may be the gold standard, BRS has been doing a series of videos on their youtube with the owner of Marine Collectors that outlines their recommendations for quarantine and treatment with their standard procedures.  While they're spaced out, they seem to be very informative and have a lot of practical information of how to dose, what to monitor, how to setup, how to clean up, and the sort of order and likelihood of various treatments and problems.

Could also look into Interceptor treatment for AEFW - I've heard it can be quite effective and it should be much less risky to attempt in a coral QT tank - plus I think it's fairly fast.

Interesting. How would I get my hands on some? Can you link me some references to read? Thanks!

On 6/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, Blue Tang Clan said:

Tank Transfer Method is the absolute best. Outrun the disease’s ability to reproduce - all without the chemo-like treatment of copper.

Yup! There are a few fish that just don't do well in copper. 

I can't seem to get a break!

The power to the shed a few weeks ago died on us. We had an emergency electrician come to check on the situation. One of the power line to the shed from the home died so we were only getting 110 V to the shed instead of 220 (I'm not an electrician so please excuse my ignorance).

To remedy the situation, we have to replace the entire line to the fish shed (250 ft) distance. It's a long process and takes some time so his short term solution is to have everything in the shed running off the 110V for now. We ended up getting a small portable AC to keep the room cool for the HOT week(s) to come. Even with that, the tank continues to flux between 74 and 83 degree 

Unfortunately, a few days pass and our electrical went completely out. We are not sure what happened but the 110V no longer work. The new line is not scheduled to be installed for another 4 days.

We ended up getting a generator to keep the essential running until the new line can be finished.
I can say this beast is a work horse! It kept the two returns, portable AC, and heaters going for days.

287281224_692455025186854_6975070186990953619_n.thumb.jpg.e8f927d407683ed66e83fdc5a98f7a04.jpg

Again, more digging 

287291181_5120231654737405_479048012027649644_n.thumb.jpg.8db0535daeb2767f9d038477f0461f9b.jpg

Definitely a very stressful and expensive couple of weeks but I am glad everything is back up and running. The last owner lay the line completely wrong and had no protection and I am not surprised if it was accidently cut somehow since it runs into our neighbors yard (old home).

I did lose a handful of acros and an acantho so far. The affect of the heat flux and no lights for 4 days will show itself later. As of now, just want one week of not having something going on.

image.gif

2 hours ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Interesting. How would I get my hands on some? Can you link me some references to read? Thanks!

I may have been mistaken - it seems like interceptor is recommended for red bugs and the less common black bugs on acropora, but not necessarily acropora eating flatworms.  It's a flea medication, and though I don't know how available it is, supposedly people can get it by showing a vet proof of infection and having them write a prescription (it has been a documented treatment, so they aren't likely to deny you if they are willing to hear you out).

Looking around at things, though, it comes recommended from a local expert to do a standard coral dip repeatedly - daily, then every other day, and gradually lower frequencies, and for 6 weeks.  While labor intensive, it would be a pretty straightforward way to address the problem without special equipment: https://coraleverafter.org/?p=598 (Method 2: Coral Dips section)

Good luck with the power woes.