Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday.

Procrastinating and trying to figure out excuses why we shouldn't try to move this monster:

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Moving the 70G tank to make room for the new addition:

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

The stand is in place:

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

Final pics of the proud owner and his cute little mermaid:

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

It's funny, but the tank and stand do not look nearly as big in the pictures as they do in person. I can't wait to see this once you have everything plumbed and the tank up and running!

That stand looks amazing...just wow

Great mermaid shots tooo, she is getting VERY tall sheesh.

cant wait to see the tank filled/in person. wish i coulda made it out but im glad you got enough people there.

Best of luck, looks like you've got a ton of potential. I'll be tagging along.

Nice, looks great Roni!

Thanks guys. I was joking with Bob about how this is likely the best the tank will ever look. It's going to be hard for the contents to match the stand and tank...

That stand looks amazing...just wow

Great mermaid shots tooo, she is getting VERY tall sheesh.

cant wait to see the tank filled/in person. wish i coulda made it out but im glad you got enough people there.

She's now at the 90th percentile for height and up to the 15th for weight. The kid doesn't like to eat but had a blast in the tank, wandering around looking for the fish. Once we starting putting water in it last night, she really started to want to see fish in there. I think she's almost more excited to see her pish (flame wrasses) and regal come out of quarantine :)

Looks awesome, congrats!!!

Thanks!

just out of curiosity how come you didn't go with a coast to coast overflow?

I actually wanted an external coast to coast overflow but the wife nixed the additional encroachment on our sunroom. Seeing the tank in place, I've got to agree :)

So there's water in it? More pics Roni! How about the sump area?

Man, I'm wiped out. Been plumbing since dinner. I remember why I hate plumbing. Thanks to my new RO unit, the tank is actually 3/4 full with salt mixing. Hopefully I'll finish the plumbing tomorrow and then run the leak test the next evening. Will put up some pics as I get a little further along. Right now it's a disaster area.

Tank looks great, and that stand is awesome. High quality for sure!

What type of substrate are you going to use, and what do you have planned for aquascape?

Edited by BowieReefer84

Mike,

Thanks for your help with the BeanAnimal configuration. Finally got all the pipes into the fishroom so the last part will happen today. Lowes closes at 9:00 here which limits any last second changes (since I usually get started around 8:15). BTW, note to the wise, breathing PVC glue in an enclosed setting (the stand) is not good for you. :biggrin:

Going with a mix of my old substrate (mainly medium grain aragonite) and the Tropic Eden Reefflakes (heard good things about it). Hopefully a very open aquascape, though that's what I tried in the 70 and then ended up cluttering it. Thinking 2 large islands with lots of swimming space between. Probably another island for the ritteri to hand out alone.

Dude! AWESOME! Are you already upgrading??? Man, I take a break from the forum for couple of weeks and everyone is super-sizing!!! So jealous! I wanna drive up there sometime to see it in person! Let me know if you need help buddy :)

Thanks guys. the last few nights have been a little painful to be honest. Plumbing a couple hours each night after the kiddo falls asleep is slow going...Hopefully will be done soon. Now found out my old heaters are burned out, which is going to further delay getting fish and corals into this tank. Can't wait too long as no light is running on the 70 right now. I'll try to take some pics as soon as I get a moment.

Water in it. It's been a rough week. Lost about 70% of the corals. Looks like my biopellet reactor had gone anaerobic (noticed it during the move) and that's why my corals hadn't been doing well over the last 2 months or so. Well, the move over to a new tank was the final straw for most. Also lost a flame hawk which I've had for 2 years ;(

I think I've got the leaks under control but hard to localize some due to being on different floors. Will hopefully fire up and have the return and skimmer going today.

I've honestly never experienced a crash like this before other then once in school where power went out while I was out of town for a month. It's really painful and it's been hard to look at the tank and the amount of work still remaining in a positive way.

Sorry hear about your losses, I've got a few things growing on the frag rack your welcome to when your ready.

I've honestly never experienced a crash like this before other then once in school where power went out while I was out of town for a month. It's really painful and it's been hard to look at the tank and the amount of work still remaining in a positive way.

Sorry to hear about your coral loss, I understand the feeling, don't get too disheartened its not easy forgive yourself easily if you give up for an extened period of time, see my 54 build.

That is not good. Sorry to hear that. I am planning on doing my move here in the next few weeks to a frag system and temp holding while I decide on what tank to order from Miracles. Im sure i will make a few frags in the process. Just let me know when your ready.

Aw man sorry to hear about the loses...keep your head up and think of it as a time to fill up with more frags and then enjoy watching them grow into colonies

I also have some id be willing to donate as many wamas'rs did the same when i had my battery issue/crash

just let me know

Thanks all for the kind words and the offers for frags. I may very well take you up on that once things get settled. I think once the returns are going and doing well, things will fall into place. Just a lot of little things I've got to get done without a lot of time in the evenings to do projects.

On the plus side, I'm glad that I didn't lose any other fish and the tank is going to be amazing to work with from an aquascaping perspective. Just two small bommies right now and the fish seem shocked with how much swimming space there is. With so little rock, a single 6105 is actually providing pretty good flow right now.

Roni,

Sorry to hear, man. That pretty much sucks about your losses. Things will turn around quickly and I think you will have some excitement with aquascaping in the massive amount of square footage you have there!

Nooooooooooooo! Not the Flame Hawk!!!! Man sorry to hear about all the demise but the tank looks amazing! So having to start over with new corals and a new look isn't always a bad thing. Thats where I am at right now and am looking forward to it.

That's right: you can have any of the frags from Maureen's tank!

In all seriousness, we'll get you back up and running once you're ready.

Jon

Roni,

So sorry to hear about your tank crash.

You know we'll do whatever we can to help.

Maureen