Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

Thanks everyone. I was really bummed about that flame hawk...it's the first fish I got when you were taking down your tank.

Good news is that the return pump is going and surprisingly there are no leaks. Tonight will be getting the controller up and running and also figuring out how to quiet the return. I used the beananimal return and I think the noise isn't from the overflow but rather from my returns, which are at the water level. I'll probably drop them below the water surface to quiet that down some (after drilling some safety holes). Also, 2 of the fans on the powermodule are sticking so will have to fix them as well. Hoping to get the tank to a reasonably silent operating noise.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pics:

Filling up with water:

2011-12-02221042.jpg

With 70's corals/rock/fish moved over

2011-12-12191144.jpg

pics of the fish room

2011-12-12191314.jpg

2011-12-12191332.jpg

2011-12-12191324-1.jpg

I have a slow leak in the fish room which looks like it's coming from the actual seam of my 2nd sump (used sump). It may have gotten damaged while drilling it. I've tried a makeshift epoxy solution but I doubt that will work so will likely need to drain the tank and reseal the sump :(

Also can't quite figure out how to get my Apex to recognize my DC8. Searching through the manual without success.

Hopefully will get a chance to seal this sometime this weekend and then move the rest of the rock over to the main tank.

Lookin' good Roni! I know it's difficult trying to work on this in the limited free time you have, but it will be worth it in the end. Keep taking your time to get it just the way you want it and you won't be disappointed.

Looks really nice man, need to get out there at some point. i actually like all the swimming space there...funny how small the 70g contents look...puts the size into perspective

also REALLY liking the blue background, i was on a black kick for while and after seeing some more blue it really makes the colors pop.

also REALLY liking the blue background, i was on a black kick for while and after seeing some more blue it really makes the colors pop.

i dont think blue does that. i think it detracts from the colors of the corals. my eyes are drawn to the bright, beautiful, blue background, and away from the corals. whereas with a black background, my eyes aren't drawn to the black background, instead they are drawn to the colors of the corals, that's why black backgrounds make the corals "pop" more than blue.

with that said, i've always thought a blue background was more appealing and beautiful than a boring black background. it's so much more bright. i think blue backgrounds are ideal for fish-focused tanks; and black backgrounds for heavy sps/lps tanks.

Thanks everyone!

Looks great! Are you going to add more rock or just keep it simple?

The plan is to remove some of the rock (one of the bommies is just a stack of dead coral skeletons I didn't get a chance to remove yet. I'll probably add a total of another 40-50 lbs, for about 100 lbs total. I have to add another 50 lbs of sand as well. Holding off until I deal with the sump issue, as all the rock and sand is in the tank I'm holding my regal angel and I don't want to stress him before the tank is fully up.

Lookin' good Roni! I know it's difficult trying to work on this in the limited free time you have, but it will be worth it in the end. Keep taking your time to get it just the way you want it and you won't be disappointed.

I know...just wish the timing hadn't happened the way it did. January gets better so I'll hopefully get everything finished then.

Looks really nice man, need to get out there at some point. i actually like all the swimming space there...funny how small the 70g contents look...puts the size into perspectivealso REALLY liking the blue background, i was on a black kick for while and after seeing some more blue it really makes the colors pop.

i dont think blue does that. i think it detracts from the colors of the corals. my eyes are drawn to the bright, beautiful, blue background, and away from the corals. whereas with a black background, my eyes aren't drawn to the black background, instead they are drawn to the colors of the corals, that's why black backgrounds make the corals "pop" more than blue.with that said, i've always thought a blue background was more appealing and beautiful than a boring black background. it's so much more bright. i think blue backgrounds are ideal for fish-focused tanks; and black backgrounds for heavy sps/lps tanks.

You're welcome to shoot down anytime. Sorry I missed you a couple weekends ago...got waylaid by the tank taking more time then I thought. I like the blue background as well and will backlight it at some time. It's actually not as blue as my cell phone pic shows. The other thing to consider is that corals haven't grown in at all, which will decrease the coral to background ratio. I like the black backgrounds as well but figured I'd try something different with this one. We'll see how it turns out :)

I want to some see it in person too!

The background I'd like to see, but don't think I ever have yet, is a background that goes from blue at the top to black at the bottom, gradually... I think that would look awesome and be the most realistic.

Not trying to hijack your thread Roni

maybe pop was the wrong word but the blue seems to make the tank look bigger to me, here is a shadowbox example, i think the corals pop the same in both but the tank looks bigger in blue,

obviously its an opinion thing but

DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

pics from RC shadow box thread

dang. definitely a gorgeous tank. no doubt about that. i agree that the blue background makes the tank look bigger!

the second photo actually looks like Roni's tank in a couple years!! :bluefish:

Edited by Ryan S

I think that's the same tank (serpentman's). The difference after doing a shadowbox in terms of shading is pretty amazing imo. I think those pics were taken days apart. If my tank looks half that good, I'll be pretty stoked ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and daughter out of town and I finally got some time to finally aquascape and move some corals over to the display. Still a lot of work but at least it's a start.

Sorry for the terrible pics; cell phone:

Right side of tank (regal peaking out)

2011-12-27195228.jpg

Middle

2011-12-27195307.jpg

Left

2011-12-27194753.jpg

Whole

2011-12-27194811.jpg

New Ritteri (8 years in captivity)

2011-12-27195234.jpg

Elegance

2011-12-27195259.jpg

Looks awesome!!!!

thanks, the tank doesn't look nearly as blue as those pics. need to figure out how to take proper pics.

Sweet! Did you fix the leak in the sump or is that still on the to-do list?

Thanks, nope, leak still on the to do list.

Other things on the to do list:

Get frag tank on line

Hook up 2 part

Fix kalkreactor (ordered a new motor head for my reactor but the stirrer from my GSA reactor doesn't fit the new Avast motor...I emailed Justin but I think he's away for the holidays)

hook up wave box (still not sure if I'm going to do this or just sell it and get another 6105

Thankfully, I have a nice 3 day weekend coming up and will hopefully get a lot of those things done.

wow man looking good, love the clowns they have some great color to them.

Right side structure is VERY nice. going to look sweet once the corals grown in..seems like you made alot of nice realestate....good luck on the to do list, your making me want to get mine done more and more.

Hook up the wavebox!!

:)