Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

So, here are the few pics I was able to get with the Avast porthole before getting excited and messing up the lens:

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

And a short video of my new gigantea:

th_video-2012-06-08-20-43-24.jpg

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome Roni !!

thanks, finally starting to see a little growth. Now if I can get this algae under control ;) Planning on incorporating an ATS to decrease my reliance on phosphate removing products. Chaeto isn't growing as well for me to be a major export vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. Been tied up with work and haven't really messed with the tank. My camera is also out of commission for a little while. I'll try to shoot some pics later this week.

In terms of tank stuff, one of my mp60s already failed, less then 6 months into using it. Looks like the ceramic shaft is broken. Ecotech is saying I need to clean it every month, which seems a little excessive. I clean my tunzes about once every 6-12 months at most. Hopefully they will take care of things.

Still battling a little bit of algae, predominately in the lps tank and frag tank, which are lower flow. Growth is good overall though and the chalices/zoos are enjoying the higher nutrients.

I'll be installing an ATS sometime in the next few weeks to help with nutrient export. Hopefully it will allow me to pull gfo offline.

Laura,

I've realized that my DIY skills are less then adequate. It's actually not hard to build an ATS but I'm going to buy a little nicer product with leds that another aquarist on RC is building for me. I'll definitely take pics and do a product review when it gets in.

• 2 months later...

floydrturbo?

sorry, didn't see this. yup. a testament to how busy I've been is that I still haven't hooked it up.

Ahem....your camera should be back in working order by now.

FTS and update please! :biggrin:

sadly, i haven't even checked the lens to see if it dried out. Been busy with work/family/travel and tank is on autopilot. I'll going to take some time to scrape off the walls of the tank and do some work this weekend and then figure out if there is anything worth taking a picture of :(

Did pick up the nicest little imperator from quantum reefs and he's chilling in the frag tank, eating corals and mussels (and running away from any food in the water column).

My gigantea had two unfortunate encounters with my vortechs, once when I was out of town. It has somehow survived and is slowly recovering (until the next time it decides to battle a powerhead).

• 1 month later...

So I've neglected this thread and the tank over the last few months due to work/family reasons and general laziness. Thankfully my reef is able to withstand my inattention.

Took a short video with my phone today. Getting a new lens later in the week so hopefully will be able to take some pics. Pardon the quality.

I've been slowly removing the sand bed and scraping the walls so the tank is definitely a work in progress.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d04xbhjjbtaswxb/20121215_205544.mp4

Thanks all. So, to give you an idea of the amount of neglect, I snapped this pic. Not often you see Aiptasia and hair algae growing on a snail ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucy76kwllgjgqwf/2012-12-06%2021.40.11.jpg

The 70, which isn't pictured, has become a receptacle for aiptasia and bubble algae. I'm making some headway but it will be a couple months before things are back in equilibrium.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Well, it's been a while since an update. Typed out something longer and then accidently deleted it.

Summary:

New Fish: Juvenile Imperator, Powder Blue Tang, trio of Regal Angels

Tank changes:

1) Finally tested water parameters after way too long. p04 high, really high, despite a new ATS and no appreciable microalgae

2) Changed the water flow pattern, pulled my sand, and started running p04 x 4 in a reactor

Some pics:

IMG_1290_zpsecf2e508.jpg

IMG_1286_zps8fdf0db3.jpg

IMG_1279_zpsf5612c1d.jpg

IMG_1276_zpsfb7bfe75.jpg

IMG_1272_zps3e67d03c.jpg

IMG_1260_zps4a7666c1.jpg

IMG_1258_zps303941ea.jpg

Edited by roni

What are these? where did you get them?

So, here are the few pics I was able to get with the Avast porthole before getting excited and messing up the lens:

IMG_0741.jpg

Jan, can't remember, some "designer" favia piece. I'm terrible with names but got it from Darren (sportzfish)

The shrooms. I love shrooms!!! These are beautiful.

Jan, can't remember, some "designer" favia piece. I'm terrible with names but got it from Darren (sportzfish)