Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

One company selling the large capacity resin chambers in the US is Ready Aquatics. Here is a link to the page with the 1-liter version. Links to larger versions are included at the bottom of the page.

Description:

Kati Ani De-Ionizer Model One - 1 Liter of Resin

This model is recommended for tanks up to 100 gallons.

Kati Ani: two-column deionization is simply the most efficient, highest quality and best value water purification process, by far. With zero waste water, no replacement parts, and simple, inexpensive recharge solutions...you can be assured of ultra pure water for making synthetic seawater, breeding softwater fishes, providing evaporation water without contributing unwanted elements (as with less pure water over time), making dosing solutions with pure water, and so much more. This time-tested product is a process of ion exchange with positive (cation) and negative (anion) reactive columns to completely demineralize water. Not to be confused with cheaper quality, non rechargeable, mixed-bed resins, Kati+Ani produces the kind of extremely pure water that is required for many industrial processes. As an aquarist using deionized water, you have ease of control over product and evaporation water to reconstitute freely to your desired water profile. Moreover, the cation resin column is color-changing to indicate the need to recharge your column in time. Producing better quality water with zero waste, versus wasteful reverse osmosis (RO) processes, Kati Ani De-Ionizers simply are a better value short and long term solution for your water quality needs.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I don't think I was clear in my post. I'm picking up a dual 75 GPD unit, for a total of 150 GPD. In addition I'll have a dual DI. However, this KATI DI unit is interesting. I wonder how long the resin lasts and what the throughput is. Gives me another thing to look at. However, with a 165 salt container and a 44 brute, probably should be okay with a 150 GPD RO unit with a solenoid running on a timer.

Yes, 150GPD should be sufficient for your needs, especially since you can prepare and store the water in advance of your needs.

KATI DI-type systems could put out several hundred gallons per day. The resin will become exhausted quicker since you are not running it through an RO membrane first, but the resin can be recharged and reused several times (not sure how many). These systems are ideal for larger tanks and for people who live in areas with high water and sewer costs since there is zero waste water.

The stand build slowed to a halt while we discussed and researched some changes in the design of the facing, doors, and wood choices, but it's back on track now and progressing nicely. Hopefully the weather and my day job will cooperate this week and I'll be able to complete the outside face of the stand. In the meantime, here are some recent pics of the frame construction. I apologize for the iPhone pics being so grainy. Hopefully the iPhone 5 will have a much better camera than the old 3GS I am currently using!

Built the basic frames for the top and bottom:

IMG_0816.jpg

Add the support posts:

IMG_0846.jpg

Cut and mounted the plywood inside the base:

IMG_0847.jpg

Added the top of the frame:

IMG_0849.jpg

Routed the back side of the stand and inserted the recessed plywood panel:

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

And the frame is almost complete. I will add some short sections of 2x4 behind the top/front 2x4 (just for a little extra support), then have to do some minor filling of nail holes and sanding:

IMG_0855.jpg

I hand-picked some real nice walnut for the face and sides of the stand:

IMG_0850.jpg

The walnut was 4/4" lumber, rough on all 4 sides. I used the planer to smooth the top and bottom surfaces, to reduce the thickness to 3/4", and to annoy the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my neighbors :tongue: this evening. The wood looks much better with a smooth finish. I hope to cut the walnut to size tomorrow and begin assembling the face frame before the weekend. More pics to follow!

Edited by YBeNormal

Looks great!

Awesome! Love photos!

Thanks guys. I really should break out a better camera, but it's hard to do that when you are covered in sawdust and on a roll.

Can't wait to see that stand finished.

I feel the same way. This monster is taking up a lot of real estate in the garage, er, I mean woodshop!

Very nice looking. What is the height on that stand? What size door does it need to go through? You have quite the garage.

The stand will be 36x72x30. It only has to fit through the garage door opening at my place. Getting it into Roni's house might be another matter though! :tongue: The workshop has grown over the years, with me sleeping on the couch for a few nights after each major tool or machine purchase. It's my place of escape though and keeps me out of trouble.

Edited by YBeNormal

Man, just saw this. Bob, that looks awesome. The walnut is going to look great contrasted with the curly maple :)

I've got dual doors that open up to accomodate up to 60" so we should be fine :)

Roni,

My stand is constructed similarly to yours in that there's a void between the stand's plywood "floor" and the room's floor. IME this hollow space can amplify the vibrations from any equipment you have in the stand like return pumps, skimmer pumps, etc. Neoprene-like vibration mats help, but you might want to put some sort of sound-deadening material on the bottom of the stand to help absorb noise. I think you're planning on having most of your equipment in the basement tank room, but I wanted to point this out anyway in case you modify your plan somewhat. ;)

(edited)

Roni,

My stand is constructed similarly to yours in that there's a void between the stand's plywood "floor" and the room's floor. IME this hollow space can amplify the vibrations from any equipment you have in the stand like return pumps, skimmer pumps, etc. Neoprene-like vibration mats help, but you might want to put some sort of sound-deadening material on the bottom of the stand to help absorb noise. I think you're planning on having most of your equipment in the basement tank room, but I wanted to point this out anyway in case you modify your plan somewhat. ;)

Thanks, yeah, with my rambunctious child, everything needs to go downstairs. Only things in the stand will be an eb8 to drive the tunze/vortechs, a battery back up for the vortech, the apex display, and storage for food/towels.

So I've been debating fish selection and have decided I'm going with a few angels, which means that I need a place for zoos and any lps they decide to munch. I'm also a little worried that some of the small fish will get lost in the tank so we've decided to plumb in a smaller cube for small fish and zoos/softs/lps that may get munched on in the main tank.

It's currently masquerading as a planted tank but with 2 other planted tanks in the house, will get the do over soon.

Here's it now:

2011-10-04185236.jpg

It actually looked decent but my laziness in actually getting co2 setup for the tank has been detrimental to plant growth. Between that and the dearth of LFSs that actually carry interesting fish/plants and it's hard to get as enthused.

The dimensions are pretty nice at 30 x 24 x 15 (outside dimensions) with a rimless acrylic build. Well built tank with a small external overflow. Probably will move my Maristar pendant over though it will probably be overkill in terms of light. Anyone want to buy my pendant so I can go with a lower light fixture?

Edited by roni

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So getting a little closer to being a reality. Ship date for the tank is set. Revisited the original idea and am now going to tie the existing 70 into a common sump with the 270. The 270 will house potential coral nippers (angels/butterflies) while the 70 will be my wife's tank (predominantly soft corals/lps/zoos) as well as tiny fish.

Here's a pic of the tank from miracles:

PICT1607.jpg

Edited by roni

Looks horrible you should give me all your equipment and every frag you wanted to buy and start over..... :ph34r:

thats sweet your wife wants a tank, wish i could get mine to want one....are you doing water changes for her (guessing its all tied together)

Hope to get out there to help with the move of the tank when it gets there.

Looks horrible you should give me all your equipment and every frag you wanted to buy and start over..... :ph34r:

thats sweet your wife wants a tank, wish i could get mine to want one....are you doing water changes for her (guessing its all tied together)

Hope to get out there to help with the move of the tank when it gets there.

She's a fan as long as

A) She doesn't do any maintenance other then cleaning the glass and feeding

B) She gets to pick the fish. I actually have her first fish coming right now, a little Tanaka's wrasse.

I am a lucky man, I have to say. She's pretty supportive and actually wants to get a chair and put the 70 in the room that she works in so she can watch.

You're always welcome to come down :) We'll see how smoothly the setup goes. I'm foreseeing a lot of pain but hopeful that I'm wrong.

It's pretty!!

Congrats!

Sweet!!

It's pretty!!Congrats!

Thanks! The tank doesn't even look that big in the pic. Looking forward to finally getting it up and to start moving things over from various holding tanks.

Wow, looks great!!! And....heavy.....!!

I think it is indeed pretty heavy. A buddy of mine has the same tank essentially and he had 15 people help carry it!

WOW! It is bad the suddenly feeling a sense of extreme jealously followed by anger?

Lol, if my tank ever looks as nice as yours Steve I'll be thrilled.

When that bad boy is up and running, can I come see it?

Hopefully soon. Plan is to get everything up by mid November. Always welcome to stop by though there won't be much to see for a while.

I did a quick estimate at 10# per square foot and figure the tank will weigh between 650 and 700lbs. Roni on one end and two or three people on the other end should suffice. :tongue:

(edited)

I did a quick estimate at 10# per square foot and figure the tank will weigh between 650 and 700lbs. Roni on one end and two or three people on the other end should suffice. :tongue:

You must have me confused with the incredible hulk :)

Some guys waiting for their new home...sorry for the terrble cell phone pics

New regal angel (thanks David!)

2011-10-26194749.jpg

1 of 4 flame wrasses in qt

2011-10-26194826.jpg

Edited by roni