Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and PS...your frag of tort is HUUUUUUUUUUGe and waiting or you along with some other cheer you uppers when we both are back in town

Thanks everyone. Since I'm going out of town, taking the fish out and treating will have to wait until I get back. Can't have my caretaker try hyposalinity. We'll just have to see how strong the native immune systems are. I'm not optimistic but it can always be worse.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

It's been a depressing month or so.

Came back from a trip to disney with a bunch of dead fish.

Total toll so far has been:

regal angel

bellus angel

powder blue tang

kole tang

breeding pair of percs

one of 2 picasso clowns

banded pipefish

The regal angel and banded pipefish hurt the most. I'm glad my daughter hasn't figured out she's gone.

I've managed to catch most of the remainder of the tangs out and they are in a 90 gallon qt running hypo. after a few touch and go days, they appear to be doing better and are eating okay. 8 weeks to go. The remainder of the fish in the tank look okay. Still not sure what happened. My best guess is some ich came in with water from a coral or something stressed the fish a little and they got ich. HOwever, a little ich shouldn't have done the damage it did and several fish had visible skin lesions...possibly a bacterial superinfection? Thanks to Jon and Maureen's fish trap and some long time spent in front of the tank, the rest look like they'll do okay.

After going through 2 weeks of not wanting to even look at the tank, I took some pics today...mainly of some chalices. I'm terrible with ID so if anyone knows what these are, please chime in.

IMG_9962.jpg

WWC Toxic Pie

IMG_9963.jpg

Red Watermelon

IMG_9964.jpg

WWC yellow eyed lepto

IMG_9965.jpg

BGM

IMG_9972.jpg

Grape watermelon

IMG_9969.jpg

Fist full of dollars?

IMG_9974.jpg

IMG_9975.jpg

grape watermelon

IMG_9973.jpg

pinkalicious

IMG_9967.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

IMG_9970.jpg

2012-03-22175902.jpg

Edited by roni

I'm so sorry top hear about that! I've got some loss too. But mine is from phosphate issues. It's hiting my chorals hard. I hope your tank recovers quickly and you can get it stocked soon. That is exactly why I'm afraid to go to Washington state and see family. I wonder what it will look like when I get back... :unsure:

Edited by LanglandJoshua

Josh,

Do more water changes or increase the volume of water you change and if you don't have a media reactor throw bags of chemipure elite or phosban in a high area of flow in your sump.

I'm so sorry top hear about that! I've got some loss too. But mine is from phosphate issues. It's hiting my chorals hard. I hope your tank recovers quickly and you can get it stocked soon. That is exactly why I'm afraid to go to Washington state and see family. I wonder what it will look like when I get back... :unsure:

man i was just about ot PM you when you posted....Glad to see yuo have the camera back out

That Clam is SWWWWEEEEET....

glad that you have some fish making it and doing better....i hope disney was good and you didnt have to pay the mouse too much.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It's a little cathartic being able to share with friends. This is definitely new to me since in 15 years off and on of keeping reefs, I've never had this massive a fish kill, other then power outages.

However, as with all things, it's good to be thankful for what did okay then lament what didn't. Corals actually look great. A couple people have asked about the clam...it's a Dr. Mac's clam from the last meet. If I hadn't spent so much probably would have gotten a second. It was more green under their LEDs but has really intensified it's colors in the last month or so.

Glad everything is in recovery mode, and sorry for your losses. A lot of great corals left, and that amazing clam. It's going to come back, better than ever!

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Hit a couple of Wamas tanks today including Bob's (Rocko918) and Eric (epleeds). Picked up a nice onyx clown from bob and then got some really nice frags from Evan. With the onyx now completing a pair, I figured I'd take a short video.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Edited by Coral Hind

The tank looks awesome! How long have you had the elegance coral?

Thanks Dave. I've had that elegance for about 5 months now. Got it from someone who had it for 4 years prior to that.

Roni, It was nice to meet you last night. Thanks for the visit. Your whole setup is awsome excl.gif .

Yea the elegance is sweet! I got a frag from pacific east a year ago and it's doing great. My favorite Lps for sure.

Thanks! I've had trouble finding a healthy one from a vender even though these were considered "easy corals" in the past. I'm really glad I got this one. I used to have a purple tipped one...wish I could get that one again.

Roni, It was nice to meet you last night. Thanks for the visit. Your whole setup is awsome excl.gif .

Steve, thanks for the kind words. I'll be glad to get my other fish into the setup. Can't wait to do my tour of the woodbridge tanks. You need to put your pics up for everyone to see.

• 4 weeks later...

still T5s...maybe T5/halide combo. I love my light. I just would prefer a little bit better coverage front to back with 36". If the light sells locally, I'll buy the new fixture. If not, I'll hold on to it.

• 2 months later...

Roni wanted to solicit your advice here. I don't know if you've seen my 33g dropoff build. The shallow part will be 12" and the deep part will be 24". I'm swaying back and forth between a Vega/Radion or T5 unit (either ATI or Sfiligoi), 6 bulbs. First, what do you think would be better from your experience, and would 6" be enough for 24"? Never gone all T5 before.

Thanks bud

i know Roni wont mind if I comment on his thread......

as long as you use good bulbs (ATI) the 6 bulb sunpower would be great on 24". I have a 24" ATI sunpower on my frag tank and it does a great job.

I just got a 60" T5 fixture from Sfiligoi and its a piece of art. Expensive, but beautiful. Need to wait for the group buy on T5 bulbs so i can fire this puppy up.

your more then welcome to come over and look at both units before you buy. The craftsmanship on the Sfiligoi is amazing, but so is the price.

Wow that would be awesome, thanks man - let me hit you up after I get back from vacation.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Roni, any updates?

Tom,

sorry, didn't see this thread. Been dealing with some cyano and nutrient issues due to feeding way, way, too much.

I agree with eric. BTW, premium aquatics is clearing out their ati fixtures so you may be able to snag a great deal. The Vega looks really promising as well. I'm still a bigger fan of the color under T5s compared to LEDs alone though. 24" shouldn't be a problem. I have a setosa that has grown to the size of a softball 27" under my fixture (bottom of the tank).

Oh yeah, I also recently took some pics but in the process got the lens of canon wet :( Still hoping that lens dries out. I'll have to upload those pictures when I get some spare time.

Been dealing with some cyano and nutrient issues due to feeding way, way, too much.

Way to much. Hahah