Got Clowns?

dbartco

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents are standard ocellaris. My black are showing a lot of interest in the tile though, so next ones might be a bit darker.

I really want to try maroons if anyone has a laying pair.

Wish I had the cash to do this. I've got the eggs easy, but not the $$$.

the rots are the most expensive part, and I can give you a starter culture. The rest is just a few containers and some tlc

Very nice.

Now, what to do with...

There are many club members that are having good success at breeding marine fish. We should develop relationships so we, club members, can collectively and cooperatively, get our fish into the national distribution channels. I'd like to raise the Clarkii fry, but I need a little help getting them to distribution.

OMG they're adorable. Congratulations Doug!!! :cheers: How exciting. Great job. How'd you do that? :smokin:

Only about half of the latest hatch. Getting better at this I guess. Now, what to do with. ( @ 25 days)

IMG_3935s.jpg

Edited by Jan

There are many club members that are having good success at breeding marine fish. We should develop relationships so we, club members, can collectively and cooperatively, get our fish into the national distribution channels. I'd like to raise the Clarkii fry, but I need a little help getting them to distribution.

I think Almon is really on to something here. For WAMAS, conservation is one of our founding principles and promoting captive bred fish vs. wild caught is one aspect of this. We clearly promote this philsophy but maybe an effort to ENABLE this too would be worthwhile for WAMAS to undertake.

I understand there may be some industry based resistance to this. ORA and others make lots of money breeding clowns and a few other species. But nonetheless, the economic ramifications of having alternate (possibly local) sources of captive bred specimens could be interesting. Not only with the "easy to breed" clowns become cheaper due to competition among breeders but that may encourage ORA to move on to other, more difficult to breed species which would in turn reduce the demand on wild caught versions of them.

Calfo mentioned last year that now days 90% of fresh water fish in the hobby are captive bred. It didn't used to be that way. For salt, only a small percentage are captive bred. It doesn't need to stay that way. Competition among the breeders is probably the best way to get them to start focusing on the other species in the hobby.

Very nice work. I would love to get involved in trying to breed. I have a egg laying pair of tomatoes clowns. I just have never gotten around to learning the process.

I really want to try maroons if anyone has a laying pair.

my Mother has a pair of gold striped maroon clowns that lay eggs every few weeks. They just said another batch yesterday actually. They are on a piece of LR that I could easily pull out. Drop me a PM if you're able to take them now.

my Mother has a pair of gold striped maroon clowns that lay eggs every few weeks. They just said another batch yesterday actually. They are on a piece of LR that I could easily pull out. Drop me a PM if you're able to take them now.

lets do it! I will pm you. I would like to leave with the 'rents for a few days.

lets do it! I will pm you. I would like to leave with the 'rents for a few days.

doug i have a pair of breeding maroons in my tank that I would like to get rid of as I redo my tank. I have been slowly removing corals and rock, and eventually will get to the fish, let me know if you are interested and we can work something out.

john

I think Almon is really on to something here. For WAMAS, conservation is one of our founding principles and promoting captive bred fish vs. wild caught is one aspect of this. We clearly promote this philsophy but maybe an effort to ENABLE this too would be worthwhile for WAMAS to undertake.

I understand there may be some industry based resistance to this. ORA and others make lots of money breeding clowns and a few other species. But nonetheless, the economic ramifications of having alternate (possibly local) sources of captive bred specimens could be interesting. Not only with the "easy to breed" clowns become cheaper due to competition among breeders but that may encourage ORA to move on to other, more difficult to breed species which would in turn reduce the demand on wild caught versions of them.

Calfo mentioned last year that now days 90% of fresh water fish in the hobby are captive bred. It didn't used to be that way. For salt, only a small percentage are captive bred. It doesn't need to stay that way. Competition among the breeders is probably the best way to get them to start focusing on the other species in the hobby.

I wonder how many wc ocellaris there are now in store? What pecentage? I would guess pretty high, over 60%. I only breed for the fun of it. It is an addiction all on it's own.

It is hard to make anything out of it unless you are a larger scale commercial breeder though. With the way ORA forces stores to buy $XX of clowns before they can purchase the coral frags in higher demand, it is hard to make it worth the time of a hobbyist (not alone the LFS) to bother, unless they are just trying it for fun. Besides, the LFS's know the quality of fish they are getting. Maybe not so much with the home breeder.

It is definitely within the mission, but how could we "enable" this? Support nonprofit breeders (If wamas wants to give my $ I wouldn't complain :) )? You would at least like to break even in the equipment setup, which is about the cost of a qt setup. And honestly, I am not doing this to save the enviroment or anything. Even my main tank has probably suffered, as I spend more time with these little buggars more than I do with my reef tank. There is more $$ in frags probably.

If I sound like a bit of a curmugeon of this, sorry. I am not trying to talk anyone out of doing this. In fact, I will provide rots to anyone wanting them to start a culture. Just don't realistically go into it thinking you will make a bunch of $$.

(I'm rambling and tired, so I have ot dwell more)

Besides, the LFS's know the quality of fish they are getting. Maybe not so much with the home breeder.

You can't really have poor quality fish that have been raised from eggs and are only F1. They're basically disease free by default, and if the parents are WC, they should be genetically clean too. As far as reputation is concerned, a few photos and testimonials from customers should dispel any worries of quality. The major issue to address is supply consistency.