Aquarium Top Braces Broken

Piper

All,

Both the plastic braces on the top of my 220gal oceanic have snapped. They've separated perhaps an inch from the back of the tank. I'm about to go searching through the internet for an appropriate clamp and thought you all might already know. 

Thanks in advance. Little scary actually.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, 1" is scary! Watch those corner seams. I know you can buy replacement braces for most size tanks online. Is there enough material left that you can nylon bolt on a strip of acrylic to replace the plastic bar like the image below?

gallery_196_426_39643.jpg

My 210 Oceanic had a glass center brace that I removed and replaced it with a 1"x3" wrapped around the top of the tank, nailed at the corners, and I hade two all thread rods with washers and nuts holding the the long sides from spreading. The whole frame rested on top of the tank by the rods. I drained the tank below the half way mark, placed the frame on top and tightened the nuts until the frame was even along the top. Then trimmed the all thread off.

There's probably enough material there, but I'd be concerned about it's strength. I'd gladly hire the first person who steps forward with a viable solution to come take care of this.

My 220g was like that for years without issue, although the buyer said he noticed gaps beginning to appear in the seams.

The glass walls retracted back and the separation was gone when I finally emptied the tank. That would be the best time to replace the top brace, when the tank is empty.

I'd put a clamp on it asap to prevent any further stress to the seams. Then worry about getting those braces fixed.

I recalled reading a thread here a while back! But his was leaking water when the braces broke. Best of luck

My 220g was like that for years without issue, although the buyer said he noticed gaps beginning to appear in the seams.

The glass walls retracted back and the separation was gone when I finally emptied the tank. That would be the best time to replace the top brace, when the tank is empty.

Completely agree empty would be better, but I just got this reef really going and would be a disaster to have to tear it down to fix it.

I'll post up pics a little later. Day is getting busy busy.

Completely agree empty would be better, but I just got this reef really going and would be a disaster to have to tear it down to fix it.

I'll post up pics a little later. Day is getting busy busy.

Disaster would be 220gal of water pouring out of a busted seam.  It's Friday, I would take sick leave and spend today/tomorrow/Super Bowl Sunday making sure this is 100% fixed.

Goodluck man! 

Disaster would be 220gal of water pouring out of a busted seam.  It's Friday, I would take sick leave and spend today/tomorrow/Super Bowl Sunday making sure this is 100% fixed.

Goodluck man! 

I agree. Still determining HOW to fix it, or patch it, for the moment. I'm actually contemplating a string of tie wraps for now, about 20-30 of the big ones, go around the middle of the tank and just get it as tight as possible for now while I'm working this out. I need some sort of clamp I can slowly close to bring it back to true and then install a more permanent brace, or two actually. 

Again, anyone who can fix this, I'm ready to hire immediately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I had no idea I had a lifetime warranty. Thanks. Will check into it.

Bob, are you at home or at the office now. PM me your number.

Man, sorry. I missed this entirely. Pm in a moment.

from the Oceanic site:

If your Oceanic product is no longer covered by warranty and you need a replacement part please check on-line at www.aquariumpart.com as select replacement parts are available for direct purchase. If your product is within warranty and you experience a problem please contact us via electronic mail or telephone for assistance

830am-400pm CST

800.255.4627 or 414.421.9670

Yikes! Coral hinds solution looked good, but I agree with almon, best time to fix would be when it was empty.

FWIW, I work on another Oceanic tank with a broken center brace and it's been fixed with a threaded rod and 2 pieces of steel that clamp against the trim and are tightened by bolts. It's been like this for about 12 years.

FWIW, I work on another Oceanic tank with a broken center brace and it's been fixed with a threaded rod and 2 pieces of steel that clamp against the trim and are tightened by bolts. It's been like this for about 12 years.

Job is yours if you want it, Rob.

Sounds strong. No corrosion problems, or nothing significant? I suggested a bar clamp for short term reinforcement but he already was working on that idea.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Home depot in the morning. First thing I'm going to do is arrest/reverse the problem with the most appropriate clamps I can find. Early next week I'm planning to speak with machine shops about fabricating a stainless steel brace to replace each of the originals. If I can come up with a good design, slowly compress the tank back into shape for the braces. Just my best thought at this point.

Sounds like a good plan. Slow and steady bringing it back to even. Also you don't need an empty tank, if you can drain 20-30% it will take a lot of stress off and probably help facilitate a lot of the straightening. Once you get the clamps on you can put the water back in.

Instead of keeping the tank full and trying to bring the sides back in I'd do a rapid drain of 1/2 the tank with a 1.25-1.5 diameter hose into a couple of rubbermaid trash cans (both available at HD) and then put the contraption on before pumping the water back in.  If you get things all set up properly before draining, your corals will only be out of the water for 20 minutes or so.  That's less than what often happens at low tide.

Trying to compress the tank when full seems to add an unnecessary element of excitement to this whole process.  Who knows what the glass will do with all those forces working in opposition...

If it were me (and I understand I'm so new to this hobby I'm best keeping my thoughts to myself) id get a few 30 or so gallon trash cans from Home Depot and pump as much out as you can . Hopefully even at half the tank might settle back some and then clamp it it. Pump the water back in spray the cans out and return them. With a decent pump you should be able to do that somewhat in a timely manner. Best wishes!