Out with the old, In with the new

zygote2k

I came into WAMAS about 5 years ago and have seen many members come and go.

Recently Bob went for good (to Davey Jones locker?) and when I was first here, Howard of Nova was making a big splash with his thong, Chip and Craig were very active, and Fragfest with Gadgets was off the hook! Almon and his GARF stuff too. Lets not forget the local celebrity- Steve Outlaw and his famous "Paly Stew"

I guess that was the old-

New stuff/trends were Ryan S, vendor blow-ups, TOTM resurrection, velvet/brook plague of 2011-12, YhSublime now pulling a Ryan, Steve Outlaw selling his 13th tank, smart-assed members, WAMAS camping trip, LED's, the rise of GSA/AVAST.

I'm sure there are many more.

What are your favorite WAMAS moments from past and present?

Edited by zygote2k

Hey, I'm growing things! Just you wait, you'll want a tank just like mine someday!

I've shared this story with some members, but maybe it needs to be told to all, wear some of that sandpaper down ;)

I've just renewed my membership, and I've just finished up a year in this hobby. A year ago yesterday, I was at Rob's house picking up a pack of lps he had offered to me after recently joining (like less than a week) WAMAS. I asked a million questions and was thrilled to toss into my tank "coral soup" as it was cleverly called, served in an old deli meat tub. I still have the small toadstool frag, which is currently shedding again, for about the 5th time this year. I remember my mind was blowing when it's polyps came out in my 14 gallon bio cube, as I was happy with them when they looked like doo doo, so imagine seeing that green!? Since then Rob has been super helpful with straight to the point advice, and many years of experience behind it to back it up. You truly taught me the importance of paying it forward to new members, which I hope I have followed.

There are so many people out there who have personally helped me, and if I honestly turned this into a thank you speech (not the place,) this thread would be on page 2 already. I look forwarding to seeing the "moments" our members add, but want to let WAMAS know that it's truly the best club I've had the pleasure of being a part of!

I'm on my second year in WAMAS.  the first year I was a cyber stalker of sorts meaning I never posted or talked to anyone.  This year I have met a few of you, attended meetings and am very glad to be a part of the group.  Must be the meds....

Like Jim, I am pretty much a post reader and not a poster.  I have been a member since Nov 2011 and have learned so much from reading posts and still more to learn.  I have no favorite moments but am glad that so many great LFS are nearby (QR and IC).  There are so many great buys from WAMAS members and last but not the least, the WAMAS members who are so informative and very helpful.  My wish this next year is to meet more of the members at the next meet and be more sociable.  Thank you to all!

Bob

That paly stew reminder always makes me cringe. I do want to point out that I've had this same tank for a year. That, my friends, is progress.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That paly stew reminder always makes me cringe. I do want to point out that I've had this same tank for a year. That, my friends, is progress.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

that acrylic is the ONLY thing tank related that is "the same for a year" shall we discuss...skimmers, pumps, lights, PHs...the list is long. 

Steve truly is the skimmer king!!! 10 of us combined couldn't touch his experience with skimmers. Wamas truly is a blessing for a lot of us. I'm going into my second year and can honestly say if I hadn't found wamas I probably wouldn't be in the hobby right now. And "lol" has been used more times in the last 3 months on here then rc in the last 12 months!! LOL lol

I, too, am thankful for WAMAS.  I have learned much from listening, as well as participating.  I am grateful for the folks I have brought into the club, most of which now have nicer tanks than me.  While I am thankful for you all, I wanted to make a particular shout-out to Coral-Hind, and to Origami; both that keep answering my questions and in a lot of ways, giving me stuff.  :happy:

Thanks, WAMAS; you can be sure I'll be renewing

Ross

my favorite events;  my first meeting in a room the size of my garage when michaelg was prez. MACNA, we need another. DIY kalkwasser and top off builds. i gave Steveoutlaw his first bunch of Cheato... and frag fests and a lot of cool peeps. 

I love the support I get from this group. It's amazing that such a large number of people can come together over a single commonality and everyone is so nice and willing to help. Thank you WAMAS members! And a double thank you to the officers that keep this group running. For a VERY nominal fee I get all this access to help and new friends. Seems too good to be true. 

When I first joined I remember they used to be led vs the world arguments every week. Rob wins?

it's funny how so many people who were the staunchest of opponents, now have LED over their tanks....

Steve's only had 13 tanks? Nah. I'm sure it was more. No trouble here. Just the facts, ma'am. :laugh:

Howard and his thong. Chip and the beer ... how shall I say it? beer cozy. Jan and Dave. Fishwife and her husband's over-the-top closed-loop approach. Traveller7 and his anemone expertise - really missed. Cliff and his science/chemistry bent - now a mod over at RC. Justin and Dan and the rise of Avast - local boys done good. The loss of bob (lanman) and, earlier, lynn (lhcorals) - both strong community contributors. Doug pulling off a fantastic meeting in the Winter despite our speaker's (Christine Williams) being snowed in by a blizzard in Long Island.

As for this year: A 20% increase to the largest membership base ever. At $20 a year, WAMAS remains a great value.

Good to see the 20% membership increase.  Clubs must constantly grow faster than the dropout rate of those who give up after a couple years.  I've been a member of gardening clubs for a couple decades, every year the clubs get a little smaller and one day soon they may fold.  

This is only my 3rd year in WAMAS and I've learned a lot from some very smart reefers.  Thanks to Rob who helped enlighten me and others to the value of LEDs.   

As for new, in 2014 I promise to quit building my tank and actually put water in it.  

I've only been around for about a year and a half. So in that time...

The waxing and waning of auction threads...some serious competitors out there made for interesting reading. The new trend in live sales.

Socials...just wish I'd made it to more of them.

IC and their whimsical approach on the vendor boards.

Fragfests...nothing like seeing people queue up for free coral. Of course, we've had great speakers at all the meetings too

I will b a 1 yr member this summer..and i must say the input and advice i have recieved in that time has been helpful and honest..i truly appreciate everyones help and input over this time...and what can i say about my first fragfest but Whoa and Wow!! What could be better than good friends and good frags...and the amusement at some of the friendly bickering...8)

And i will see you all at the jan.25th meeting with cooler and handwarmers(or should i say cooler warmers?) in hand...8) and it better not even think of even flurries,let alone snow!

What happened to CHUBAKAH/Mark? He was pretty active until I had to disappear for a bit. He disappeared from Facebook, his e-mail address is defunct, and I'm wondering if his big setup is still running.

As for fond memories, having to get rid of my favorite yellow tang and having you help me find him a good home is a somewhat bittersweet. I'm also glad that Jenn got my 72 bowfront, and even more glad that my travel schedule is a little more manageable now and can get back into the hobby.