Brian's 105g SPS

corsi1330

Do you find you get a reflection of the lights in your glass with the bare bottom?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wrasses he is keeping don't require a sandbed. I'm keeping similar ones in my 93g bare bottom tank. They do great.

+1 they just wedge themselves between rocks at night

Be sure to have a lid! On several occasions they have meet my screen trying to jump.

my rhomboid is the only fish that beat my screen and got out.  always the most expensive fish :(

my rhomboid is the only fish that beat my screen and got out.  always the most expensive fish :(

That sucks! My lineatus is always hitting my screen. Smh

Brian, just wanted to say your setup looks really great.  Wish I knew about you before I ended up making my stand decision.  I have the same problem.  HVAC floor register (I hate these for many reasons!!!).  I ended up building a riser to a Marineland Monterey.  Looks pretty good, but yours is a good notch above :)

Tank looks great.  Keep it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, long overdue! I just added corals over the past week. For the last couple of months my corals were receding and are just now recovering. I believe this happens due to my well water. I ended up and chlorinated my well and seems to have set things back to normal. This seems to happen every couple of years and this trick has always worked. I believe over time my well water develops a bacteria which effects the water quality. When this happens my corals start dying from the tips. Anyhow, I cut off all dead areas and all corals are back in growth mode again. Although the color on some is way off all are growing again. I find that this tank is too small as I still have a lot of SPS downstairs! Sorry for the slow response to this thread and thank everyone for there kind words. Let me know what you think!

IMG_2361_zps2905cb11.jpg

Any updates?

How old Are most of them sps?

All but a couple were grown from 1" frags. Between 1-4 years and have also fragged many of them

Looks great Brian!!

Thanks Frank. You need to stop over whenever you are in the area

Glad to hear your coral is doing well.

Was worried for a while but feel better now :-)

Sweet tank. I will be tagging along.

Great, thanks for looking

wow, awesome shot!

Thanks!

Yes, long overdue! I just added corals over the past week. For the last couple of months my corals were receding and are just now recovering. I believe this happens due to my well water. I ended up and chlorinated my well and seems to have set things back to normal. This seems to happen every couple of years and this trick has always worked. I believe over time my well water develops a bacteria which effects the water quality. When this happens my corals start dying from the tips. 

So do you use your well water straight then?  You aren't running it through an RO?

I had my well water tested. The hardness is good. No strange chemicals.  BUT - I have measurable nitrates. I'm concerned that could cause algae problems and so I'm using a very very wasteful RO for the tank (I get about 40gpd from a 75gpd membrane and probably reject 3x that).

So do you use your well water straight then?  You aren't running it through an RO?

I had my well water tested. The hardness is good. No strange chemicals.  BUT - I have measurable nitrates. I'm concerned that could cause algae problems and so I'm using a very very wasteful RO for the tank (I get about 40gpd from a 75gpd membrane and probably reject 3x that).

No, never straight. My water is terrible here. Everything is run through my Ro/DI. I just need to chlorinate the well every year. Actually it is recommended that all well owners chlorinate there wells to remove bacteria.

• 1 month later...

Couple update pics. My nem decided to walk and I had to tear down half of the corals and rock work to remove him. He has been relocated to my 70g downstairs. Kinda feels like I am starting over with the amount of disruption but all is well. Corals are all coloring up more and more every day and a lot of new growth.

Right side of tank

IMG_2509_zps3a40da60.jpg

Left side of tank

IMG_2510_zps4d963ceb.jpg

Clean cabinet :-)

IMG_2512_zpsefc0a9cb.jpg

Very nice. Richard was saying the other day how nice this tank was.