Brian's 105g SPS

corsi1330

Turn down the return pump some maybe?

The problem is the lower I turn down the return pump the water line in the return goes down and causes the waterfall noise. When I turn up the return pump the water line rises and Solves the waterfall noise but creates a wistling noise from drawing too much water? Hope that makes sense.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost there! Just ordered new ballasts/light bulbs for the lighting which should be here first of next week. I am looking for a solution for my return to quiet down. Getting a waterfall noise pretty bad and when I open up the flow to quiet down the water noise "fill up the return higher" I am getting a more annoying air sucking sound. I have added tubing on the airways which has helped but not enough. Drill a bigger hole? Anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_0258_zpsa277d29b.jpg

Man Brian, this looks amazing, can't wait to see lights on!!!

In less than three weeks you went from a tank sitting on the floor to building your own matching stand and canopy. Not bad

Almost there! Just ordered new ballasts/light bulbs for the lighting which should be here first of next week. I am looking for a solution for my return to quiet down. Getting a waterfall noise pretty bad and when I open up the flow to quiet down the water noise "fill up the return higher" I am getting a more annoying air sucking sound. I have added tubing on the airways which has helped but not enough. Drill a bigger hole? Anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_0258_zpsa277d29b.jpg

Again! you have some serious skill there. Looking super clean.

Not sure how noisy is your water fall, but I am a fan of waterfall noise. Great stress reducer!

What type of standpipe are you using?

More air is usually a good thing if you can muffle that whistling. I've used lengths of airline tubing in the holes to do it before.

• 1 month later...

Been letting the tank settle for the last month or so and just now added a couple of fish. Got these off of DD they are red spot cardinals (along with a copperband which is in quarantine), They are the coolest fish I have ever owned and bounce around the tank in a school. My understanding is that they are tough fish to keep and ship. I had ordered 10 and had a 1 DOA but the other 9 have been doing great. Looks like my nem has found a place also. IMG_0392_zps8e43db6a.jpg IMG_0396_zps9ab99af0.jpg

I have heard the same thing about the Red Spot, sounds like you either got lucky, or are doing something right! Looks great, can't wait to see the progress!

I have heard the same thing about the Red Spot, sounds like you either got lucky, or are doing something right! Looks great, can't wait to see the progress!

Another WAMAS member recomended these fish to me and I then began to read everything I could online. They require multiple feedings daily and an enviroment with non aggressive tank mates. I was going to add a couple tangs but I may just go with smaller more passive fish? From everything I read they can be kept long term. I have had these for a little over a week and you would be suprised at how much they can eat! Thanks

how much would you charge for a stand like that? It is awesome and was just curious since you said you built some for others.

I've tried to keep Red Spot Cardinals in the past and just did not have long term luck with them. I think my longest lived one was 1.5 years and I went through 15 of them in that time. The one that lived the 1.5 years was from my first batch.

They do require frequent feeding, which I was able to address some what because I already fed my seahorses twice a day. I lost three to jumping, those little buggers can jump like no other fish I have ever seen, if there's a hole they will find it. I also had a number just outright disappear, I still to this day have no clue what happened to them. The only thing I can think of is that they died and my pistol shrimp cleaned them up before I found them. I lost all but 1 of my last 5 when I had to move around a year ago (they don't move/ship well generally) and the last long lived one about 5-6 months ago.

So after all of that being a downer please keep us up to date on how they work for you. Our hobby has example after example of hard to keep livestock becoming easy once we figured out the proper care of them.

Oh and your setup is absolutely stunning. Great job.

Thanks for your insight. I did not realize they are jumpers! Guess I better get started on some tops! Seems like I count them every day and so far so good. Only time will tell and I will try to feed them as much as possible and keep track of any loses. Thanks

I've tried to keep Red Spot Cardinals in the past and just did not have long term luck with them. I think my longest lived one was 1.5 years and I went through 15 of them in that time. The one that lived the 1.5 years was from my first batch.

They do require frequent feeding, which I was able to address some what because I already fed my seahorses twice a day. I lost three to jumping, those little buggers can jump like no other fish I have ever seen, if there's a hole they will find it. I also had a number just outright disappear, I still to this day have no clue what happened to them. The only thing I can think of is that they died and my pistol shrimp cleaned them up before I found them. I lost all but 1 of my last 5 when I had to move around a year ago (they don't move/ship well generally) and the last long lived one about 5-6 months ago.

So after all of that being a downer please keep us up to date on how they work for you. Our hobby has example after example of hard to keep livestock becoming easy once we figured out the proper care of them.

Oh and your setup is absolutely stunning. Great job.

• 2 months later...

I was at Brian's yesterday and got to see his setup.  Most of his coral were still downstairs in holding tanks, ready to be added to his DT.  I'll surely be keeping an eye on this one!

(edited)

any update?

Good timing. I will have an update tomorrow as I am expecting 6 wrasses tomorrow via fed ex. Rhomboid trio and flame trio :-)

I am following this one, can't wait to see the sps selection you choose. Everything looks perfect so far, well done!

Was actually trying to decide which corals I will add. I know the shortcake table and Hawkins I got from you will be included!

One of the best collections of SPS I have ever seen! Unreal colonies!

Thanks, not sure about that but hopefully on the way!

I was at Brian's yesterday and got to see his setup. Most of his coral were still downstairs in holding tanks, ready to be added to his DT. I'll surely be keeping an eye on this one!

Keep this posted and try to get you hooked on SPS. Edited by corsi1330