Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

Filefish and CBB are good as well, but they both tend to pick at meaty corals, i know my CBB loved acans...didnt touch zoa's but acans and aiptasia he loved...got min from Sean at F&F and it was eating frozen food when i picked it up and within an hour of being in qt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went the peppermint shrimp route. They don't let a one pass them by. I got mine from F&F's. 2 in the main display and 4 in my fuge. The 4 in the fuge wiped out all the aiptasia that came on my chaeto. I had a tiny one on a rock and the 2 in the DT took care of it overnight.

Ryan, Ive got a filefish you can get. It definitely eats aiptasia, but it will nip on some meaty corals. Its only bothered a lobo and some acans. Im getting ready to remove it soon and post it FS, let me know if youre interested. Fwiw, i tried the nudis and they were never seen again after putting them in. Peppermints IMO are worthless most of the time, and most success stories ive seen are from people who put LOtS of them in the tank.

Ryan, Ive got a filefish you can get. It definitely eats aiptasia, but it will nip on some meaty corals. Its only bothered a lobo and some acans. Im getting ready to remove it soon and post it FS, let me know if youre interested. Fwiw, i tried the nudis and they were never seen again after putting them in. Peppermints IMO are worthless most of the time, and most success stories ive seen are from people who put LOtS of them in the tank.

Thanks Travis. I'll give him a shot. I only have 1 small lobo, but I do have 3 small acan colonies that I'd rather not lose. If it doesn't work out, I'll toss in 20 more peppermint shrimp and see how they do.

wait wait...travis you are not allowed to be helpful....dont tell me we are actually going to start seeing constructive posts from you....

Ryan if your afraid of the acans you can always cover them with eggcrate or put them in a small acrylic acclimation box so the fish can get to em.

I've found that peppermints are the way to go.....they cleaned out my tank in 24 hours and zero work on my part, except for driving to the LFS which I do anyways!

I am always helpful, and my posts are always constructive.!

that is very true. Travis the epitome of helpful :)

Tassled filefish worked great for me. I had a pair. They did a great job on aiptasia and mojanos and then after 3 months, I noticed one decimating my favorite torch. Spent forever catching one out but could never catch the other. The one I didn't catch has been a decent citizen but I feed way too much, which may contribute to good behavior.

On Aiptasia infestations and removal, I am the self proclaimed resident expert.

With that said, here's my Rx-

1) Add 24 atlantic peppermint shrimp.

2) Add 2 green filefish.

3) Wait for it to work. This may take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how heavy your infestation may be. You cannot have any fish or inverts that harass the shrimp or filefish.

4) It always works.

Good recipe for aiptasia removal, Rob but shouldn't there be a ratio? Add 24 peppermint shrimp to a 20 gallon tank??? I've only got 4 in my 55 gallon sump and 2 in my 156 gallon DT. They've done a great job. I agree that the Atlantic peppermint shrimp do a great job.

On Aiptasia infestations and removal, I am the self proclaimed resident expert.

With that said, here's my Rx-

1) Add 24 atlantic peppermint shrimp.

2) Add 2 green filefish.

3) Wait for it to work. This may take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how heavy your infestation may be. You cannot have any fish or inverts that harass the shrimp or filefish.

4) It always works.

(edited)

I had the PAR meter and took new readings with the 400w MH. The RED = the 2 radion readings; The GREEN = taken today with the 400w MH in the Lumen Brite Large Reflector.

First, 2 pictures of how the radions were hung, and the MH is hung, which helps explain why the numbers are the way they are.

Radion Placement:

med_gallery_2631706_3_553130.jpg

MH Placement:

med_gallery_2631706_3_431719.jpg

PAR Reading:

med_gallery_2631706_2_348521.jpg

Edited by Ryan S

(edited)

So do you think your radions were too high off the water?

I don't think so, they were at the recommended height off the water. These PAR results were before I installed the TIR lenses. The numbers would've been higher, especially lower in the tank, with the TIR lenses. The problem with the radions, was that for proper coverage for a SPS dominant, deep tank, you'd really need 4 over a 3x3 area.

Radions were not designed to outperform a 400w MH.

True, but Vivid has them competing against 400w and 1000w MHs and they were supposedly holding their own. Granted he used way more radions than a normal person could afford.

I am not surprised the 400w does great in the center of the tank, as expected. I am also not surprised the PAR was so much lower on the edges of the tank. With that said, can 120-160 PAR on the edges still support SPS?

Edited by Ryan S

If you raised the MH a few inches higher you should get less of a spot light and higher numbers on the sides. 120-160 would be fine for lower light SPS types like montipora.

It's already pretty high up. I think the reflector is 15" from the surface. Is there such a thing as "too high" up? Would 18" not be too high?

The higher it is the less heat going into tank, and less the chiller would need to work. Raise it to where you get 100 on the sand... See how high that would be?

Edited by BowieReefer84

I thought you weren't really supposed to be able to directly compare LED PAR numbers with MH PAR numbers because of the way that LEDs emit light not being as easily detectable by PAR meters, so the LED's always read artificially low.

If you raised the MH a few inches higher you should get less of a spot light and higher numbers on the sides. 120-160 would be fine for lower light SPS types like montipora.

Just what I was thinking. Raise it a bit. You may want to consider moving it forward just a little also as you're less concerned (I would guess) about lighting the back side of your back rocks. It also shortens the distance from the center of the beam to the two smaller rocks to either side up front.