Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those paly's on the bottom right are getting ready to take over. They really spread in that time. The little yellow acro frag just above your orange fish is way more colorful in the second pic even though it doesn't look too much bigter, and it's neat to see 3 spikes instead of 2 on the orange one just above and to the left of the clownfish in the second pic. The purple one up top is way bigger too.

Those paly's on the bottom right are getting ready to take over. They really spread in that time.

I noticed that too. I will have to trim them. How would I do that in the tank? Grab a knife and just cut them on the rock, in the water?

I use a pair of forceps and just pluck away until I get the ones back where I want them to be. Just be careful and wear eye protection and wash your hands afterwards. Gloves would be even better.

It was a very hard decision. I am still very sad about it. But over the winter break, I did some soul-searching, and did some close finances-examining, and have decided to get out of the hobby for good. I love the hobby, so much. I have all the equipment already and a great tank that gets better by the day, however, I am in debt, with both credit cards and student loans. And I want to get out of debt, more than anything else. As such, I feel like the right thing to do, is to remove myself from the hobby, at least for the near-term, and some day, hopefully, get back in.

When talking with my fiancee, and her father, whom I respect very much, as well as Tom (origami), I came to see that there was a decision that I needed to make. I could make it now or wait, but eventually, I'd need to make it. It comes down to want vs need. I want my tank. I love it. More than anything else I own. It's my hobby. On the other hand, do I need it? What do I need? Well, I need to get out debt #1. Then I need to have some children in the next couple of years, and I need a house to put over their heads. Then I'd think about needing a reef tank.

So with much despair and regret, I am not happily, or easily, removing myself from the hobby. I started reef keeping back in 2007. And I had some nice tanks from 2007-2009. I temporarily got out from 2009-2011 (a long term relationship ended, had to move into my own place, and needed the money to simply pay for rent). But the whole time I was anxious and patiently waiting to return. This feels differently now. I don't expect to return in 2 years, though I wouldn't be upset if I did. I just feel like, I need to take as long as it requires, to become debt free, to have kids, and to buy a home, and then, once settled down, then I will return. And after all the waiting, I will likely return big, with a nice in-wall 300g DD or something!

So I am starting to sell off the coral, then the rock, sand, fish and equipment. We don't move until July, so I am truly not in a rush to sell everything. I have time. I love WAMAS, and have made so many friends here. Friends that I talk to outside of the forums. Truly quality folks. Evan, Mike, Travis, Tom, Vince, and so many others. I am so lucky to have met you all. I may ask you guys if I can stop by from time to time to just admire your tanks and get "my fix". I'll also probably stop by the museum of natural history on a regular basis and just watch their reef in action.

I want to thank everyone who ever shared in my story, and this tank build. I think it was pretty awesome. Even with all the ups and downs, I am positive my mistakes and impatience helped many new folks along their own journeys. I'll still be around for some time to come, but just wanted everyone to know where I was at, and why you'll start seeing me selling all my stuff on the boards.

You're always welcome to come by Ryan, have a beer and play with the fish. Im sure it was very hard to decide but doing whats best you and the ones you love is always number one. I wish you the best of luck in the next phase of your life, and Im sure you will find everything youre looking for. However, I will miss this build thread and giving you a hard time.. I cant speak for the others, but youve always got a friend here..

Fwiw, are you gonna change your mind on this too..?

Sorry to hear but definately sounds like you have thought this thru....i understand it with the new wife/kids/house search in this are etc....i know my time is well non existent.

you are always welcome to come and check out the tank, bring the wife etc.....as travis said, always have a friend/beer/tank here.

please let me know if you need any help.......one of the truely great threads....you should keep it going with pics of what you want and plans.

I fell you. It is not an easy decision, but you will find it was the best. I did the same thing 15 years, and now I am back. Thanks for everything, and Welcome to the world of (Responsible Men) it is not easy to empty you toy box.

Welcome to the world of (Responsible Men) it is not easy to empty your toy box.

Haha. It does feel like I am emptying my toy box! Shannon's father said he was proud of me for doing something so responsible yesterday. That made me feel good, and let me know I am doing the right thing. With that said, I still cried last night once I told Shannon my final decision. A grown man crying over a fish tank? Lol. I guess it's always been more than a fish tank to me. It's all the hours of research, and reading, and testing the water, and working on the tank, and the community behind it. It's a big deal to me.

Thanks for all of the words of encouragement. I wish I was smarter in my 20s and didn't rack up such debt. I wouldn't be in this place today. However, if I am smart in my 30s, I won't be in this place in my 40s. So better late than never.

Great job, Ryan. Just think about all the research you can do in the next 10 years to get ready to do the ultimate tank once you're settled down more.

Hate to rain on your newly responsible parade, but you said you're going to have kids... don't look into how much daycare costs if you don't want to start crying again. It's more than college, but you don't have 18 years to save for it.

Ryan, I know that the decision was a hard one but there's a lot to respect about it and about you. First, you had the maturity to discern life's needs from the options. You thought selflessly about what would give you and Shannon the best shot at happiness and stability. It might be hard now, but I know that, with follow through, you'll come to understand that this will have been a pivotal point in your life. Best of luck and don't be a stranger. You know how to reach me.

Hey man, I don't think I have ever posted in your thread, but I am today. I started much smaller than you back in 2005 and then had to get out due to grad school, other needs for $, and then several apartments as well. It took me until this summer to get back to reefing, but at 35 I just propped up my 46g reef this summer after having a kid, buying a house, and getting kid two on the way. Take your time, but know it works out in the end. Your energies haven't been wasted. You, despite some heckling here and there, obviously got some real enjoyment from the time you've spent reefing and in wamas. Enjoy your time elsewhere for a while....when the time is right...you'll get another go too.

Cheers

Ryan, I think you made a wise decision. Just because you will not have a tank doesn't mean you can't be active here at WAMAS.

If you ever feel you are starting to miss the hobby you're welcome to come over and empty my skimmer cup and clean my 60 sqft of viewing pane.