Ryan's 150g Marineland Deep Dimension!

Ryan S

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan,

Sorry to see you go, but I really respect the choice. You really have a passion for this hobby.

Life will give you a lot more choices to get you back to the stuff you love. I have a feeling your kids are going to really need one heck off a tank.

The hobby is a lot more fun when you don't have to stress over every expenditure. You are going to love the trip back.

I vote that we retire your username to male it easy to find your way home.

On January 1, 2013 my net worth was: -$229,251.19.

Lets see what I can do by January 1, 2014.

Ryan-

Don't focus on things like this too much. I am praying that I can get back to that kind of number before I die.........and I have three girls.......one is starting college next year.

Take it from me, don't get out of the hobby! You'll just come to your senses after you've sold all of your good stuff and kick yourself for having to buy everything brand new again. My wife tells me that everything is ok in moderation (we won't go into my scotch habit or my record for number of new tanks in the club). So, let me make a suggestion.........MODERATE. You can get a much smaller tank.....a nano, a 40 gallon, a 65 gallon......whatever. You don't need that much rock, you don't need the latest fad in lights......and skimmers......and anything. You will also find that there are a lot of folks that are willing to give you what you need as long as you pay it forward.

That being said, I have a 20g tank that is drilled, an acrylic sump, a deltec hang on skimmer, some rock, some sand, and a few frags once you get it stable.......yours for free. All you need is a light and a return pump and you're ready to rock. Give it some thought before you abandon it altogether. Trust me, judging by the number of posts on your thread, you'll miss this.

Oh, and about that house and kids.........take it from someone with 3 teenage girls..........you will need something to look at to take the stress away. They are the best things in the world, but kids can REALLY try your patience. Just looking at a tank is amazing stress relief.

Give it some thought man.

Good post Steve. I managed to keep my tank going when I was out of work for quite sometime. I even managed to get a new bottle of Scotch :-)

If it's something you love, there's probably a way to fit it in. Even if at a greatly reduced scale. I've got a few things to get you going again too I'm sure. I know you're going to refuse now, but it'll be here next week when you come to your senses :)

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is gone. Just an empty space where the tank used to be. I am surprised how much I miss it already.

Per advice received during the breakdown process, I am considering a nano or a FO. They'd let me stay in the hobby at least a little bit, without all of the cost and expense of a SPS dominant tank.

Pros to a nano (thinking a 29g biocube) is that it would be quite cheap to setup and run. The downside would be the space limitation for corals inside the tank.

Pros to a FO (not FOWLR) - (I was thinking a standard 125g - b/c they are easy to find tanks and cheap). Maybe 2 hob emperor 400s; a simple flourescent bulb over the top; no sand bed; lots of flow; regular water changes... That would be very cheap to setup and run? Exception being the fish I guess? I need to visit someone's FO tank around here and see if I like it. I thought I was more of a coral person, but maybe I'd like FO fish as much.

I probably wouldn't look into buying either setup until after we move in July. But can't help to start thinking about it now.

• 5 months later...
(edited)

I sure do miss my tank...

I wish there was a way to have a fully automated tank that wasn't expensive to build or maintain... Hmmm... :)

Hi everyone. :) Just wanted to check in and get "my fix" by looking at others Dedicated Tank threads here.

Edited by Ryan S

Ryan, update your address. Give me a call or drop a line sometime. Are you still at DoD?

Ryan, update your address. Give me a call or drop a line sometime. Are you still at DoD?

Yes. Renewed through May 10, 2014. Still hanging in there!

I was going to suggest that a fully automated tank that you don't have to spend money on is "someone else's tank."  Get a friend with a nice tank and a beer fridge and spend time over there.  Leave when he starts scraping algae or doing water changes. 8)

Yes. Renewed through May 10, 2014. Still hanging in there!

Good to hear. Coincidentally, I was just in your neighborhood yesterday morning.

• 10 years later...

127,000 views on the 150g Marineland DD. How about that. I wonder where that ranks overall in the dedicated tank forum or on the boards in total!

You still running the tank?  Renew your membership, post some updates and push the views to 300,000. 

Good to see you still checking in.  Iceman recently checked in in the members area, and he was around the club in the early days.