Future Olympian!

johnnybv

(edited)

Just a proud dad moment! A short race from today where my 10 year old daughter crushed a 2002 team record by more than a second! She is in lane 3 from the bottom up, slow start but then kicked it!

Swimming runs in the family blood, especially breast stroke (mine & my brothers stroke many years ago)

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/joh...nt=P6271771.flv

Edited by johnnybv

WOW that is fast for a 10 year old, and great mechanics too. Congratulations to both of you!

I swam from around that age through college, hated breaststroke the entire time. Fly was my only good stroke. I can't wait to teach my kids!

Woohoo! She killed!

I did IM, Freestyle, Back, Fly, 1M springboard, 3M springboard - also hated breaststroke.

bob

That is awesome! Please send our congratulations.

I think you should send video to Michael Phelps...........she'll be his competition at the Olympics in a few years!

Swims like a fish ............

Maureen

Congrats sir!!

I'm sure family is quite proud!!! :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent effort. Are you thinking what I'm Thinkin'?- college scholarship!

BTW - it's nice to read about good things on this board. Keep us informed!

Proud papa and rightlfully so. Wow, she's a little swimming machine. Definately encourage her to keep it up and look into scholarships for this talent. Congratulations!

Cool! Congratulations, Johnny. I'll bet you're one proud daddy! She's sure got talent - run's in the genes, too, huh?

(edited)

Thanks everyone! both my brother and I held several records, so its really cool to see that it is truley in the blood! She is away at a swim camp this week, we just dropped her off at UVA, first time ever away from us!!! She is having a blast and hoping to improve some of her other strokes, she is really close to a few other records as well, so this should be an interesting year. It is pretty incredible to see her just turn it on and literally look like she just shifted gears as she pulls away from her competition! One proud daddy!

I think I will have to come up with some sale this weekend to comemorate her achievment!

John

Edited by johnnybv

That is awesome! Please send our congratulations.

I think you should send video to Michael Phelps...........she'll be his competition at the Olympics in a few years!

Swims like a fish ............

Maureen

She used to idolize Phelps, but the whole pot smoking thing kinda ruined that! We know several other olympic swimmers that we can communicate with! Rik was in I think the 1994 games, in a relay.

john

(edited)
She used to idolize Phelps, but the whole pot smoking thing kinda ruined that! We know several other olympic swimmers that we can communicate with! Rik was in I think the 1994 games, in a relay.

john

That's why I want her to crush all his records!

Edited by MLazar

you really want to help her crank things up? start putting some large moray eels into the water behind her when she practices! :)

(yeah, yeah, I know, salt water versus fresh water! In that case, you can resort to the bull sharks, which are VERY capable of surviving in fresh water and have been found as far as 2200 miles up river!)

you really want to help her crank things up? start putting some large moray eels into the water behind her when she practices! :)

(yeah, yeah, I know, salt water versus fresh water! In that case, you can resort to the bull sharks, which are VERY capable of surviving in fresh water and have been found as far as 2200 miles up river!)

she wants to be a marine biologist, so she would probably stop and try to examine them......

Rik was in I think the 1994 games, in a relay.

john

'92 in Barcelona. Individual 100 fly and the relay. I did NOT do my best. I got 8th at the World Championships in '91 and was ranked 9th in the world going into the Olympics. I finished 17th! Ouch..... I still hold several records at various age group levels back home in Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland all have their own records but the best one of those is classed as the British record). I have one British Record that is 27 years old, I remember setting it in Ealing (a 'burb of London).

Swimming is a tough sport to be at the top of; you need to smash every world record out there (in the same day) for anyone to know your name! If I could fish for Bass at the same level I swam, I'd be worth millions and have my own producyt line!!!! That being said, I hit 29 countries, trained in Hong Kong for a year got a full ride to the best boarding school in England and full ride to USC (***** not Trojans).

Best of luck to your daughter. Olympic sports may not be the most fun to watch, but I love them for the fact that 90% of them rely on the athlete to do his/her job - no team mates to take up the slack on an off day!

From wikipedia: The shark has been reported 4,000 km (2,220 mi) up the Amazon River at Iquitos in Peru,[8]. It is also found in the fresh water Lake Nicaragua, and in the Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers of West Bengal and Assam in eastern India and adjoining Bangladesh. It can live in almost any water including water with a high salt content as in St. Lucia Estuary in South Africa. After Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, a large number of bull sharks were sighted in Lake Ponchartrain.[9].Bull sharks have occasionally been seen in the Mississippi River as far north as St. Louis[10]. Even more rare, due to cooler waters, bull sharks have made their way up the Illinois River and into Lake Michigan such as an encounter off the coast of Chicago, Illinois[11]. In that incident the shark was verified by U. of Illinois biologists as being a female 6 feet 9 inches and weighing over 300 lbs.

See, no bull! (Get it? :D) Re finding them in the Mississippi near St. Louis, I grew up there and not infrequently heard about this. This is how I knew about it.