What was your snowmageddon disaster?

arking_mark

With the storm on the horizon, I figured I would get this topic going.

My almost disaster was getting a generator and then not finding gas cans. All sold out! Then tracked 2 down about 20 minutes away...good to go.

My anticipated disaster is having spent all this money for nothing...no power outage...and then not being able to return anything.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the expensive generator (Honda). Prepared with oil, extra gas...and the darn thing won't start! !@#$%

Did you get one of the EU series?

Did you get one of the EU series?

yup! EU2000i practically new. only use it once for about 2 hours. I usually ran it for a few minutes every few months to prevent gunk build up. has not run it since summer. Fortunately I have a 7500kW ready!

yup! EU2000i practically new. only use it once for about 2 hours. I usually ran it for a few minutes every few months to prevent gunk build up. has not run it since summer. Fortunately I have a 7500kW ready!

Happened to mine. Take the carb bowl off dump out and put back on. Watch YouTube videos if you don't know how easy peezy.

Not getting a bigger snow blower

One of my 250w heaters died last night. Noticed tank was .5 degrees lower then set point and charts showing them on non-stop. Figures with a storm blowing. Luckily I had a spare on hand.

My heat pump compressor unit outside has a variable speed fan that runs on an inverter.  The fan blades keep icing up and turning hard, so the heat pump stops working.  Grr.  Running on electric coil heat now at least so I'm warm, but it's expensive.

I haven't had one yet.

I guess all the weight I'm bound to put on from the beer I've been drinking and the cooking I've been doing.

My disaster; seriously underestimating this storm and overestimating my snow blower. I used the snow blower 3 times yesterday yet today it looks like I did nothing, and then the snow blower couldn't handle what hit last night/this morning so I have to shovel anyway.

My disaster so far: my entire neighborhood assuming that the neighbor who runs a construction business will plow our 1600' pipe stem as he has done for the last 20 years.  Turns out they are on vacation and the son is too busy plowing their paying clients to go by Mom and Dad's house to plow us neighbors.

Scrambled and found someone who said they will come do it Sunday morning.  Let's hope he shows!

I've shoveled 3x, and apparently I have to do it at least once more. Should have paid the college kids who came by with fliers the $25 they wanted to show up tomorrow... much cheaper that the masseuse I'm going to need 

Not a true mistake, but I plowed my driveway last night with the bobcat.  This morning I get up and can't even see where I plowed, it had snowed or drifted back full.  With my luck I probably now have a layer of ice on the driveway that only happened because I plowed too early.

Went to top off the two car batteries I use for emergency tank power last night and found that both are giving error messages (the "something is wrong with the cell have inspected by the dealer" kind of message).  Should have checked earlier in the week or, I don't know, bought new batteries after the 3-5 years (they are 3-5 year batteries) had passed…. Luckily only power flickers so far.

Power still solid here in central Loudoun. I've not gone out to measure it (it's too far and the wind and snow are blowing), but I'm five miles away from Philomont, VA which reported 39 inches on the ground less than an hour ago. I can believe it. It's crazy deep and it's still coming down.

I plowed the driveway last night, knocking off about six inches. Woke up to another 18-24 inches this morning, which is deeper than the plow blade on my Kubota can reasonably handle (because it will only lift up about 8 inches off the driveway). I spent 5 hours trying to make my way up my driveway (about 500' long and uphill) and got about halfway up. I really need a bobcat bucket loader like what Dave W has! Pushing the snow to relocate it is a whole lot less effective than lifting and dumping it when it gets this deep. Had to quit because my feet and legs were going numb from the cold. Took a hot shower and watched my feet and thighs go from red, to bluish, to purple, to fire red, and then, finally, pink. Along the way, it felt like somebody was sticking me with a thousand little needles. I guess that I was out there too long, but didn't feel it because I was going numb. Must be more careful.

And to top that off, one of our heat pumps - the one that we had installed this past summer - is not working. The thermostat's showing some kind of defroster error. Luckily, we have a second heat pump for the other part of the house and can rely on that for now. 

But, on the good side, we have steady power so I feel good about that.

I have a 5 year old boy.  Last hour or so went like this;

Whaa, Daddy I want to go out and play in the snow.

10 minutes later: Whaaa, this jacket and snow pants are making me too hot!

10 minutes later: Whaaa, this snow is too deep, my feet don't work!

10 minutes later: Whaaa, my face is cold!

3 minutes later: Whaaa, I want to go back inside....

I work for Fairfax County and have been working 26 hours now. I have no Idea what my driveway in Culpeper is going to look like when I get home Monday morning. Not excited to see it.

The weather prediction for next Saturday is: 51° mostly sunny! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I cant believe i went to the grocery store and got beer, cookies, chips ect. And forgot fabric softener! Omg. All this laundry and it won't smell like april showers. Sad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I went to Walmart today. Like 4 people there. Lol. Had to pull out a 80s diesel Mercedes....WHY??? ( My excitement and good deed for the day ) I'm surprised they got as far as they did. Got like 1/2 mi down our unplowed country road. Just alot of snow here 15mi east of Charlottesville. Probably 20-24"s. Got windy but not Gail force.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk