YHSublime Office Nano

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The feathery stuff sounds like it might be Bryopsis.

Pretty sure it is. I've mentioned earlier that's what I thought it was. Hoping the hydrogen peroxide dips paired with toothbrush scrubbing will take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't beat yourself up about the bubble A. I'm pretty sure all it takes is one microscopic seed pod for the bubble algae to come in. i think it's just a matter of time before my newer tank gets it

Don't beat yourself up about the bubble A. I'm pretty sure all it takes is one microscopic seed pod for the bubble algae to come in. i think it's just a matter of time before my newer tank gets it

I'm keeping it at bay with my aggressive cleaning. I need an emerald crab in there to help out. Everything seems bigger in such a small space.

Pretty sure it is. I've mentioned earlier that's what I thought it was. Hoping the hydrogen peroxide dips paired with toothbrush scrubbing will take care of it.

High magnesium (1600 ppm+) has worked for some. It used to be Kent's, but other types have worked for others. Rob and I both have experience with it. In my case, I uses mag crystals (ice melt) from Dead Sea Works to bring magnesium levels up. Not sure what he did.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

High magnesium (1600 ppm+) has worked for some. It used to be Kent's, but other types have worked for others. Rob and I both have experience with it. In my case, I uses mag crystals (ice melt) from Dead Sea Works to bring magnesium levels up. Not sure what he did.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

+1 along with hydrogen peroxide treatment.

My nano is coming along.  Iam stuck on the heater.  What heater are you using on your tank right now.  I really like the cobolt easy therm but thought you might have a better option.  

Edit: I read the post over.  Are you still not running a heater.  My office is set to 73.  Not sure if the led and pump would keep it warm enough

Edited by Keraxis

My nano is coming along. Iam stuck on the heater. What heater are you using on your tank right now. I really like the cobolt easy therm but thought you might have a better option.

Edit: I read the post over. Are you still not running a heater. My office is set to 73. Not sure if the led and pump would keep it warm enough

73 as well in office, no negative effects noticed. My light sits on the glass, I'm sure it heats up during the day. I've not checked water temp on this tank.

I plan on using the $8000 thermal camera we have to check my water temp.  Maybe Ill just start the cycle and see how it goes.  Trying a combo on the lights.  the stock white led and the blue and white wavepoint led.  So far out of pocket expense has only been about $45 for the entire setup.  The rest was old gift cards and equipment I had laying around

39b0b4586e6108f14a274031c2fd2674.jpg

560b1f7ad8cca79b31926f426c6b1cc7.jpg

Can you spot the tiny non photosynthetic nem?

15d5010c21e5a3b723803ff9767ce664.jpg

45f24922214df92707eca68df6d896fe.jpg

b94d693902cd39f0ef2361943527b4ae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

3e62c166eb247c97506fb406f3e87b20.jpg

Let the healing begin. I picked up a tiny little emerald crab at Quantum this afternoon. It is straight up having a field day in this tank, and hasn't been able to move past a fraction of the rock I put it on an hour ago, just eating and filtering something. At this rate, it will make it to some nearby bubble algae soon, and become fat and large.

Things I'm hoping it doesn't pay much attention to. All my snails. All the hermits, which are slowly eating all the snails. The fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So I picked up some snails, including a turbo to throw in, and it may be GIGANTIC but boy does it take care of business. A water change, and the turbo have completely (almost) eradicated any sign of dinos. With the XHO reefbright sitting on top of the glass, the algae on the glass (the whole tank) provides more than enough food. Sure, it knocks et over, but it does a heck of a job.

The Emerald Crab, however, is not earning it's keep. It proceeded under the rock, and comes out during feeding time only, as I watch my bubble algae pop up all over random rocks. My goal here is to pick up about 6 (no longer small) emerald crabs, and let them go to town. I will then rehome 5 of them once I think their work is done. Or they eat each other, or all my snails.

I did a hydrogen peroxide dip again 2 weeks ago, and this time was aggressive with the HP. I did about a 50/50 solution, and I let the frags sit longer than ever before. I then aggressively scrapped with a toothbrush, but gently on the polyps, and I have not seen any more bryopsis, or several of the other algaes since. I have, however, seen the bryopsis on some of the rock, which is concerning.

Despite the constant dips, scrubs, and moving around, everything is doing surprisingly well, and growing. My zoas are exploding, and it will only be a matter of time until the tank looks like a skittles commercial. I will have to get some pictures once I bring the good camera into work.

• 2 weeks later...

Sans the bubble algae, feeling great about the tank.

DSC_0065_zpswi5eyxzd.jpg

DSC_0068_zpsgbmwihbt.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsvzyouyaz.jpg

DSC_0075_zpsgzjhxwkw.jpg

DSC_0079_zps0x50z0vc.jpg

DSC_0086_zpsxqzijxjm.jpg

DSC_0091_zpsrevahn1y.jpg

Really pretty red bubble algae

DSC_0093_zpsbhngeyz2.jpg

Yeah buddy:

DSC_0105_zpsyhxxrypi.jpg

DSC_0106_zpsqdfq7mmb.jpg

looking really nice. That bubble tip anemone seems to be doing  great in that tank.

Tank looks awesome!

Looking good Isaac!

Thanks gents, I'm learning from your tanks!

looking really nice. That bubble tip anemone seems to be doing  great in that tank.

Thanks, Dip! I'm actually pretty upset about the bubble algae, but I know it will soon pass once I release my horde of emerald crabs. The bubble tips are doing very well, they are in a high light, high nutrient environment, and have not moved since I put them in. The tank originally came with two RBTA's, who outgrew the tank in my ownership in about 4 months. I went with some more colorful BTA's, as it's been my experience that they never grow rapidly, so I figured I'd be able to hold onto them a little bit longer before they sting everything. I believe that in the next 6 months or so, the zoanthids will have taken over, and I will have to begin some sort of trimming process.

Wait, dinos were eaten by a turbo snail?  I thought they were poisonous.

Perhaps the turbo was not the cause? Perhaps they were not dinos? They were stringy and snotty, what I've always thought were some type of dinos. The effect of adding a handful of snails (one being a giant turbo) into the tank, caused the dinos to disappear.

• 3 weeks later...

28a840437988d7a20e7b8769cf7a2adf.jpg

98045ea58a52419ab105d76a6fd9aa8c.jpg

e0f326a55f16930f0945408c9e52151a.jpg

6c5cfe15da9757e478ac5a96363002cc.jpg

a9eff619a37d54efca33055f9862333c.jpg

5a193e357d3f23b6ab3990cd36568f72.jpg

I've just fed, so everything is kind of closed up and shuffled about. All the zoanthids are growing like weeds. The duncan that started with 3 heads is up to 8 heads already. The nems are growing bigger, I did at a 5th one as it was super tiny.

That tally's 2 speckled "rainbow" anemones. 1 regular RBTA, 1 Bornemans anemone, and one non photosynthetic nem that M. Henley found on the beach that just happened to survive in here.

I still need to get about 4-5 more emerald crabs in there to take care of business.

the zoas look great. i dig this tank isaac

Thanks! It's refreshing vs some of the bigger tanks I've kept.