YHSublime Office Nano

Well, the nems migrated to the right hand side of the tank, and they were getting out of control. All my zoanthids were literally getting weighted on top of by a giant nem, so what to do?

b6e749ce02f5722dddf56a00220629e8.jpg

Water change seemed like a good idea for starters, the coraline was building up on the back glass, and starting to cover the front, it will be a problem sooner than later down the road in this little nano.

The nem is still too big on the side, but I will have to think about what is more important. Last week it was shadowing over the clam, I wish I could move the light to the back of the tank, but the cover won't allow it.

Post water change:

9587316f858f89ed2037e096c7e95622.jpg

55a14562546bd8d2cebabf923e8a7000.jpg

One of my black tipped Plats from Operation Reef Ready, really growing into herself:

https://vimeo.com/145660184

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy smoke - I haven't looked in on this thread for about a month and half... that anemone has grown into an absolute monster! It's awesome.

To be honest, this past spring I was thinking trying my hand at a saltwater aquarium and planning out my first tank. Got so caught up in the mantra of 'bigger is better for a beginner' that, before I knew it, I was looking at an expected price tag of $6000+ to set up a upper-mid-end 120g tank. Nothing uber-fancy like Radion Pro's or anything, just good name lights, powerheads, etc. that would allow room to grow. The price totally turn me off to 'sticking my toes in the water'...

Then I came across this thread and your gorgeous little 6g made me rethink everything.  Am now in the process of setting up a 25g to give the hobby a try.

Thanks for sharing your this tank (and your other tank experiences) with us. Truly is an inspiring little gem.

Holy smoke - I haven't looked in on this thread for about a month and half... that anemone has grown into an absolute monster! It's awesome.

To be honest, this past spring I was thinking trying my hand at a saltwater aquarium and planning out my first tank. Got so caught up in the mantra of 'bigger is better for a beginner' that, before I knew it, I was looking at an expected price tag of $6000+ to set up a upper-mid-end 120g tank. Nothing uber-fancy like Radion Pro's or anything, just good name lights, powerheads, etc. that would allow room to grow. The price totally turn me off to 'sticking my toes in the water'...

Then I came across this thread and your gorgeous little 6g made me rethink everything.  Am now in the process of setting up a 25g to give the hobby a try.

Thanks for sharing your this tank (and your other tank experiences) with us. Truly is an inspiring little gem.

Hey there, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you are enjoying the journey with me!

It's actually x2 anemones, but they move as one, might as well be the same. I'm glad you started with a 25, my first tank was a 14 gallon Biocube, and it was a really great learning experience. There's really no way around it, this is an expensive hobby, but it doesn't have to be ridiculous. Part of what helps alleviate the cost is being able to go through the buy/sell/trade forum, I've only ever bought one tank brand new. You start collecting equipment along the way, and soon you realize that you've slowly spread that $6000 over the span of a few years without even noticing! Most reefers don't keep track, but I think it would be shocking if we did, and I'm not talking about that $20 we tell our significant other everything "costs."

When I first started, I wanted to setup this tank. I had bought one brand new, but I didn't know enough about lighting to find an alternative. What was helpful was when I bought the tank from another member, it had been matured. Even in 6 gallons, I have spent quite a bit of money, but far less than I would have on a 100+. The real joy I get from the tank though is having active participation through co-workers and clients, that's something I never had with a 6k tank at home that I never got to enjoy.

Post up pictures and start a build once you get going, it's great to go back and see the evolution!

There have been some changes over this past week in the tank. Some of them good, some of them terrible. The bigger of the two nems was removed from the tank. It was stinging everything in it's wake, per previous pictures, so the time was now or never. In the process of all the moving of rocks (really only one big rock and some tonga) I crushed the cleaner shrimp, unknownst to me.) I was out of office for a conference, and got many texts, e-mails, and calls, letting me know that he was lying lifeless under a rock, and wondering if he was OK. Sadly, he has gone to the big ocean in the sky. I have not told my co-workers that I am responsible for his untimely death. This is all preparation for children I suppose.

That being said, the "empty"" side of the tank has really blossomed with all the zoanthids that were prior shaded. Clam is still kicking, and everything is doing exceptionally well. Duncans are also blossoming in the back, probably stretching for that light out front.

Although it looks super empty now, I have to remind myself that the little play space that is left will quickly be filled in.

1cbe0256e0cb0e4a8e869e69abff2a65.jpg

7e4a47e548da099ef6a8ac6a74ee96b5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good man. You need to go bigger. Oh we already went that route . ;)

You know, I keep trying to convince myself that I could do a nice 20 gallon, or something of the sort, but then I remember how freaking easy this one is, and those thoughts fade away. Plus, you know mamma is happy it's at work and not at home.

Looking great.

Thank you, sir! It's getting somewhere... where, I don't know!

de8163bd7774f9f9f730dd16cd74f201.jpg

Here is a snap from today. Even though I killed the shrimp, I'm glad I rid myself of one anemone, and knocked it down to this one. It's crawled from the front of the rock to the back. It's gotten stuck on the filter intake, and freed itself. It's spread itself out sideways, and back to the front, and it appears that this will be it's resting place.

I will go back in and organize the rockwork, and make sure I can get to the side of the glass, for cleaning, and I'd like to move the clam, but it's literally happy as a clam, so I'm not going to mess with a good thing.

I've got some stringy algae growing from the top down, right underneath the glass where the light rests. I am excited about this, because now I have a free homemade turf scrubber, that I can easily clean.

Looks great. Much better with just the one nem. 

I'm with ya'. I want to figure out a better way to mount all those zoanthids. Not enough rock space!

I think you should use your little office nano and the enthusiasm about it as a way to get a large tank in to your lobby for you to enjoy stocking and maintaining and for the guests to enjoy looking at.  

I bet WAMAS would even donate the tank and equipment if you wanted to set one up. 8)

I think you should use your little office nano and the enthusiasm about it as a way to get a large tank in to your lobby for you to enjoy stocking and maintaining and for the guests to enjoy looking at.

I bet WAMAS would even donate the tank and equipment if you wanted to set one up. 8)

I bet you're right! But then there comes the life long commitment to servicing it there, setting up an RO, etc. I think the nano will do just fine. The only thing that would make it perfect is if they designed a Tupperware lid to close the top, I could just pick it up and move it!

Lookin good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks, sir!

Am I the only one that finds humor in this? haha

We are a fun bunch, glad you caught it.

Nanos are the new hotness. Nobody likes doing work. Big tanks are a pita lol

Hard to believe it's been half a year!

The only problem with the big tank was water production (for changes and top off.) This is easy peasy. About to get some nice zoas up in here.

I hear you man. I've realized how much more I enjoy the hobby with a smaller tank. Maybe I'm just getting old.

A big part for me was bringing it to work vs. home. Happy wife, happy life. That and it really doesn't take much to keep it going. And if I do go away on vacation or holidays, there is always somebody there to care for it. You're getting older, but you're getting smarter, it's a good trade!

I'd actually like to poll the WAMAS crowd. I often feel bad about the two clowns in here, even though I know they are probably fine, seeing as they don't stray from the nem.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the both the clowns, the RBTA, and the hermits.

Replacing the RBTA with a CO sunburst or a lemon drop

Replacing the fish with an Anemone Crab.

I understand the Anemones I want to add will be harder to keep, but I think I can do it, and they will stay smaller for longer.

I've been told to keep the colors or at least get the good colors of those nems you need to blast them with more than led

I've been told to keep the colors or at least get the good colors of those nems you need to blast them with more than led

I don't agree with that, but I guess I might have to wait and see. I don't know what my PAR is, but I can tell you that sitting on top of the glass is an XHO Reefbrite mixed strip, without a dimmer control, that sits on for about 9 hours a day. It penetrates less than 10" into the tank, and it appears to be enough to even keep a clam, as happy as a clam.

My concern would be a less hearty type of strain that would not be able to do as well as this RBTA, but perhaps I will find out.

I've really gone a bit overboard, and over the next two weeks will be adding the following zoanthids:

Candy Apple Reds

Candy Apple Oranges

Sunny D's

Vivid Rainbows

Utter Chaos

Rastas

Then I plan to add:

Candy Apple Greens

Space Monsters

Magicians

I have a myriad of life that stirs up the gravel, but it consequently mixes up my zoa garden as well. I'm wondering what a good solution for making sure everything stays upright will be, short of maybe epoxying everything to the tonga strips already in the tank.

16ddb42a3bc33e326f9eed2594fce4d8.jpg

25c078784b7e4a69aa63555c49966a40.jpg

You could put those clam pads to use if you still have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could put those clam pads to use if you still have them.

Too big.