YHSublime Office Nano

Could you get a piece of ceramic tile, cut it to the right shape with nibblers, glue stem less frag plugs with zoas to it, remove sand in an area and set the tile in? 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you get a piece of ceramic tile, cut it to the right shape with nibblers, glue stem less frag plugs with zoas to it, remove sand in an area and set the tile in?

I guess that is possible. It would function as "rock" as well. The only problem is the opening is VERY small, but I could work around that.

That tank is inspiring

Thank you for your kind words! I originally said I was going to keep it as just an RBTA and a nem, but I should have known I would have eaten my words later on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words! I originally said I was going to keep it as just an RBTA and a nem, but I should have known I would have eaten my words later on!

I'm waiting for the first SPS to go in, then dosers and ATO and eventually a metal halide and then a chiller.  It's like that "give a mouse a cookie" book. 8)

I'm waiting for the first SPS to go in, then dosers and ATO and eventually a metal halide and then a chiller. It's like that "give a mouse a cookie" book. 8)

To be fair, there are chalice in the back, doing well, but they throw out longer sweepers than I care for in such a small space.

The only thing I've checked on it over 6 months has been salinity, so I can assure you, I have no interest in SPS in this tank. I'd do better setting my money on fire.

Being that it's at work, it really restricts how crazy I can get with it. I topped off today, the last top off was before thanksgiving, an ATO for this would be a waste of money.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the tank is going to define what and how I keep things, because I don't have very much flexibility outside of what it is already. Which is good, I need that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I got an idea in my head that I was going to turn this into a zoanthid and nem nano, and I was going to get the RBTA's out and switch to some smaller (but harder) more colorful nems. I'm reluctant to share photos, as this is right after the change, but there is some hotness in here now. I'll have to figure out some way to organize the zoanthids, it's a little silly with all the plugs in there at the moment. The nems latched to the rock right away, however, they will not be photo ready till tomorrow.

DSC_0111_zpsvnuph3ta.jpg

DSC_0108_zpsvppo6tg0.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsjx68pk2b.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsg09vbf0o.jpg

DSC_0099_zpsotfbvwnb.jpg

Very nice

Thanks! Thanks for your help as well!

I think you have some room for some more coral in there....

I planned a about 1/4" of growth for everything, haha.

I'm thinking about getting a ceramic tile like Alan suggested and drilling it for the frag plugs.

DSC_0130_zpskvog5lyq.jpg

I simply don't have enough blues to bring out the pop that are in these nems. Looking into some more blue for show lighting!

DSC_0138_zpsh3ws5hnr.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsouqwb2x5.jpg

I have a bag full of the royal blue and violet LEDs that go in to the evergrow lights and a couple extra drivers and an extra 48v power supply if you wanted to try to rig up something cheap and ugly to get way more violet and blue in it.

I have a bag full of the royal blue and violet LEDs that go in to the evergrow lights and a couple extra drivers and an extra 48v power supply if you wanted to try to rig up something cheap and ugly to get way more violet and blue in it.

That sounds above my skill set, think I can handle it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good!

Thanks, stranger.

Looking sweet!

Thanks! I'm doing everything with the iPhone, so taking photos is proving harder than I imagined with this build. I'm going to bring in my Nikon, maybe tomorrow, and see if I can get some accurate depictions. I need to work on some smaller grazers, I'm getting little bouts of algae popping up. I will end up doing a 100% water change tomorrow before Christmas, and will try and get the glass clean.

735499c8c1331f567b11478e793fc63d.jpg

Im diggin the two smaller nems! Looking good.

Looks great Isaac!!

Thanks, fellas. Looks like the Nikon didn't make much of a difference, however, the glass was dirty, my lens (when I got home realized) was dirty, and I didn't put a lot of time into it.

DSC_0036_zpsd6h2rfva.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsdoymna52.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsvvmqbxeu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick up to date. Feel like I've been at the office more than I have been home, so really getting to stare at the tank a lot. The new added anemones are doing spectacular, and really popping with color, it really makes me want to try a Colorado Sunburst in here. Maybe next MACNA. Everything is doing well, zoanthids are growing, actually quicker than I expected.

Was having some trouble with hair algae on the zoanthids, so I did a Hydrogen Peroxide dip, followed by a revive dip for all the zoas and a water change after work yesterday. The algae has completely faded away in less than 24 hours, and all zoanthids are open and enjoying the tank again today. Enjoying how little work this tank is (compared to what I said I was even going to do from the beginning) still. I stopped changing the carbon out about a month ago, and I'm wondering if I will see a difference, considering adding it back in again and feeding frozen again.

d48a264e9ae920fe90728f1605a929ee.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks fantastic. You got some room for more zoa's in there!

First I have to take care of the bryopsis and bubble algae that found it's way in. When dealing with a nano, everything becomes exponentially bigger, including problems...

I admittedly, have not run carbon for about a month, maybe longer, and I think I'm starting to see the result of that, although despite the algae things are thriving, and growing. The two nems are doing much better, and the 3rd Borneman anemone has migrated back over to the side of the tank, I like it there, and it can stay there for all I care. The anemone used to be a pretty cool part of our clubs history, and I would like to start propagating it out into the SWAP program soon, once I get the tank under control.

I was astounded to find all things doing pretty well this morning, first day back at work since Friday afternoon. I did a quick water change Thursday, but other than that, nothing different. Snails eggs popping up all over the back glass along with coraline algae.

57f4838829ec2cf8a8d42d79659ad5a7.jpg

There are about 3 different types of algae growing in here at the moment, and two of them I consider invasive. I don't know the names of them, but one is stringy like wire (Cheato almost) on is feathered, literally looks like feather strands, and another one is just regular hair algae (which I consider normal, and it's the easiest one to deal with in my case.)

I did find some, what appears to be red bubble algae, which I've not seen before. I took out half a gallon of tank water, and mixed it generously with about a 1/3 of my hydrogen peroxide bottle. I also did a revive dip, and I got a tooth brush and scrubbed what I could before both dips. Zoanthids are opening back up again already, but the remaining algae is coated in bubbles, which I presume means it Is slowly dying. I took out the rock which is pretty bad with the bubble algae, and I pulled off what I could. I scrubbed the rest with a hydrogen peroxide dipped tooth brush. If I am successful in containing and eradicating the issues in this tiny tank, I will be very cautious about what makes it's way in in the future (not that I can fit a whole bunch anyways.)

705d65495c410c760c110d5d2d3ecb5c.jpg

3123995fa22d507598e950fae88b5410.jpg