YHSublime Office Nano

you dont have issues with nitrates from the sponge?

That would imply that I test for nitrates...

This is a picture of the tank that I just took. I rinse the sponge, bio media, and carbon in tap water. I have not changed my RO filters in over a year.

820bef01eb0fe7954da9be2e3b3fbfe2.jpg

The staff has named the Onyx "Oscar." Since they found out how clowns worked, they have renamed her "Caitlyn."I don't think she cares either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its pretty low load so i doubt he has a problem.  How much do you do in a waterchange?  50 percent would make sense

• 1 month later...

Its pretty low load so i doubt he has a problem. How much do you do in a waterchange? 50 percent would make sense

As much as I can, I'd rather overdo it vs. not enough.

adorable little tank

Thanks. It is perfect.

Not so low maintenance these days. I added all the corals I wasn't able to move from my dsa into here before vacay. Also, 2 new rock nems, and a cleaner shrimp. Going on 3 weeks full load.

80f56a4d11fc180512751c08281db7ff.jpg

174e006cf82f59cb7db0ab3ef13efc2c.jpg

That shrimp looks like a giant in that tank. Lol

Yeah, I lost his buddy in my last move, been with me for almost 3 years now.

very nice setup man! i love the design of that tank and that anemone is awesome

It's a cool little tank, I'm enjoying it.

It's such a great little tank

...but you may have to upgrade after Macna...better stay too busy to drool

I don't think that will be an issue! It pretty much runs itself, which is what I'm looking for these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the half update, was trying to upload on my phone, but type from the computer. Being that this build was all about keeping it *simple* I wanted to make sure I only kept photos with my phone, and didn't put too much work into it. 

It's admittedly gotten off track from there, and become more complicated, but I'm not shocked, this is my doing!

About a month or so ago, maybe more, I bought a ReefBrite from ERC. I wanted something that could remove the clutter of the 3 chinese LED's hanging all over the tank, all set on different timers. I was unsure if I should go with the 15" XHO, or regular tech, and if I should do white, blue, or a mix. I ended up going with the XHO 50/50, and figured that if I needed, I could always dim. Turns out, the dimming is not needed. The RB sits perfectly across the front of the tank on the top, and is super clean. It's also really lit up the inside. The algae growth has picked up, but I don't mind. 

Since I added the light, I also had thrown in all the zoas from my old build that didn't get sold, or weren't doing hot. They are all doing phenomenal now, although it is hard to tell what is what with the colors I have in the tank. No big deal, I'll let them keep growing. The Duncan up front was not coming out before the light change, and this is a piece from Frag Fest, the first fragfest coral I have ever taken home! The nems are starting to get a bright green tint on the inside, and the outside is staying a bright red, I guess this is from the lighting change. 

The only purchase I made at Macna was 2 tiny ORA clams from Rob. They were a mixed bag, and he was not sure of the colors. I lucked out. One orange and black, and one blue and black. I am happy with both, and hope I can keep them alive in the nano. I'm going to grab some kent phytoplex this afternoon to start feeding them with, but I plan on broadcasting the whole tank, and seeing how long it will take them to filter it out. If anybody has some more insight on if that is good or bad, I'd love to hear it, just experimenting. 

Cheers! 

Nice score on the clams

Let's see if I can keep em alive, I've never had good runs, even with large ones.

This is awesome! Now I know what my next project is going to be...

Thanks! Might as well if you've got something sitting around! My biggest chore is hauling in a 5 gallon every month. Top off is super low, maybe 16oz a week or so?

Really cool tank Isaac!! Makes me want to set one up!!!

I would suggest it if you can at work. My job is a 24-7 facility, and we don't close for holidays, or long periods of time. This means we never adjust the temp far off from 73 inside, and there is always somebody here to help take care of it. My co-workers have rather enjoyed becoming part of the maintenance process, or at least the daily feedings, it's really our community tank, not "my" nano tank. When I was at MACNA, the cleaner shrimp molted, and I received several e-mails about how there was another one, but it's dead. When I was out for vacation last month, I got e-mails about how the anemone was deflated and turning black (it was pooping.) There is some heavy emotional investment in this nano, so hopefully things keep chugging along alright!

Looking good!

Gracias!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great coloring on the clams! I will be interested to see how they do. My most forgiving tank is my JBJ Pico. It currently has a glob of hair algae growing from the output of the tiny little HOB - almost like a mini turf scrubber. :) The display is clean. I don't have anything that requires a ton of care but with all the warnings about "bigger is better" I expected it to crash within 6 months. Good luck!

Great coloring on the clams! I will be interested to see how they do. My most forgiving tank is my JBJ Pico. It currently has a glob of hair algae growing from the output of the tiny little HOB - almost like a mini turf scrubber. :) The display is clean. I don't have anything that requires a ton of care but with all the warnings about "bigger is better" I expected it to crash within 6 months. Good luck!

It was a grab bag of luck. I will also be interested. I'm trying to develop a plan to help them grow, and not crash the tank at the same time. There is no algae in here, except a slight film that grows on the glass if I don't clean it often enough, just like a regular big tank. When I do water changes, I mix up 5 gallons at home to 1.025 (or as close as my refractometer tells me I'm getting) and then I usually forget it in my car half the day. By then it's about a good temp to do a water change, and I try and do 100%, but it's really closer to 90%, I let everything in about just under an inch of water, and fill it up again. At this time, I'll change the carbon, and rinse the sponge and the ceramic media, which I'm not sure if it does much. The water gets pretty yellow in between, but I've had about 3 people, not including myself, feeding the tank. I bet it's getting more food than it should. Oh well, what are reef tanks, if not one big experiment anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Things are clunking along. The nems are getting huge, and they dominate the majority of the space. One of the rock nems, out of 3, was super bleached when I put it in. It's just starting to color back up, so it's cool watching that change happen. Lost a clam, but the nicer one of the two is still kicking. Zoas are starting to open up larger, and I believe are growing, although they get shuffled around on a daily basis, so it's hard to tell. Fish are no longer fighting as hard core as before, so I believe they will establish a weird hierarchy, as the big one is submitting (shaking and all that jazz) for the smaller, but definitely more aggressive one.

Ahhh. This is the one you were telling me about.  I love it!  Once I get settled in Norfolk in January, I want one too!  They actually have an office turtle, so I'm excited that they encourage office pets!

Ahhh. This is the one you were telling me about. I love it! Once I get settled in Norfolk in January, I want one too! They actually have an office turtle, so I'm excited that they encourage office pets!

Little work required. My facility is 24-7, so our heat is never cut, or AC. I don't have a heater in there.