Build-apotamus

But you can't see the brick wall!

It's there! There are not very many spots that limit the view of the giant (he said sarcastically) place. It's cozy though!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love the aquascape. Looks like everything is settling in quite well. Like you I got a trio of fatheads too and I really like them

Tapatalk was giving me issues, but now they have apparently been resolved. Some pictures to share:

a465fba2f2f4040f6542cc7ec0ed8115.jpg

love the aquascape. Looks like everything is settling in quite well. Like you I got a trio of fatheads too and I really like them

Thanks for checking in, Dip! It is getting there. Slowly piecing parts together, but aquascape is probably set. Need to work on covering the stand up. I want to grow some colonies of zoas vs just frags, with sps branching around.

I actually got only 2 of the fatheads, they are stunning though, I'd love 20 of them!

Well, I finally changed out the bulbs and put my new bulbs in that I have had in my reef closet for months.

Front to back

ReefBright (60" Tech, which for my reference is 30 LED's VS the 48 that come in the XHO.)

Blue +

Blue +

Coral +

Blue +

Blue +

Coral+

Blue +

Blue +

Tank is pretty blue. I will sit on it for a while, as I hear the bulbs take some time to break in, it's still a ton of light, and it still looks great, so no complaints. Nearly have the frag racks free. I changed the bulbs as I had some nuisance algae pop up. Nothing big. Added a yellow tang, a melanarus, and an ugly mug starry blenny. The yellow tang is super shy, which leads me to believe something is bullying it. Lost one of my fatheads, I'm curious as to if my Hippo is running the show.

I added a generous frag of the original Blue Orgeon Tort and Ultimate Rainbow Acro from Chris, so far both are enjoying being at the top by the t5's. I'm going to stick to my plan of only adding choice SPS, which now consists of:

2 Jason Fox montis, I don't know what they are, but they are growing quick, and they look very nice.

Pockerstar Monti

ReefTech Sunburst Monti

A chunk of Setosa

A colony of Birds of Paradise

A colony of Ponopes Birdsnest

Bad Azz

Red Dragon

Echinata

Orgeon Tort

Ultimate Rainbow

Some sort of Grape Monti I got from Copps a long time ago that is coming back on my rock.

Some sort of Highlighter Monti, also from Copps, making a comeback on my rock.

A highlighter stag, making a comeback on my rock

Leishmans Tabling, making a comeback on my rock

Some sort of Hydnophora that is growing back on my rock.

Meteor Shower Cyphestria that is starting to recede as of recent.

Unknown monti that I don't know where it came from that is starting to color back up.

Now that I type it out, it seems like I actually do have a bit of SPS, but not a lot of acros.

Starting to see coraline pop up on the back glass, and on the front, so trying to keep the front and sides clean. Still need to pick up my water mixing station from Eric, and finish plumbing it. Still need to do a water change. Still need to install my swabbie and skimmate locker.

Here is Taco enjoying the tank while I was at work today. I caught him on my camera.

76df2eceb29dd8b60bbfb7e26ca86b9a.jpg

Well, I finally changed out the bulbs and put my new bulbs in that I have had in my reef closet for months.

Front to back

ReefBright (60" Tech, which for my reference is 30 LED's VS the 48 that come in the XHO.)

Blue +

Blue +

Coral +

Blue +

Blue +

Coral+

Blue +

Blue +

Tank is pretty blue. I will sit on it for a while, as I hear the bulbs take some time to break in, it's still a ton of light, and it still looks great, so no complaints. Nearly have the frag racks free. I changed the bulbs as I had some nuisance algae pop up. Nothing big. Added a yellow tang, a melanarus, and an ugly mug starry blenny. The yellow tang is super shy, which leads me to believe something is bullying it. Lost one of my fatheads, I'm curious as to if my Hippo is running the show.

I added a generous frag of the original Blue Orgeon Tort and Ultimate Rainbow Acro from Chris, so far both are enjoying being at the top by the t5's. I'm going to stick to my plan of only adding choice SPS, which now consists of:

2 Jason Fox montis, I don't know what they are, but they are growing quick, and they look very nice.

Pockerstar Monti

ReefTech Sunburst Monti

A chunk of Setosa

A colony of Birds of Paradise

A colony of Ponopes Birdsnest

Bad Azz

Red Dragon

Echinata

Orgeon Tort

Ultimate Rainbow

Some sort of Grape Monti I got from Copps a long time ago that is coming back on my rock.

Some sort of Highlighter Monti, also from Copps, making a comeback on my rock.

A highlighter stag, making a comeback on my rock

Leishmans Tabling, making a comeback on my rock

Some sort of Hydnophora that is growing back on my rock.

Meteor Shower Cyphestria that is starting to recede as of recent.

Unknown monti that I don't know where it came from that is starting to color back up.

Now that I type it out, it seems like I actually do have a bit of SPS, but not a lot of acros.

Starting to see coraline pop up on the back glass, and on the front, so trying to keep the front and sides clean. Still need to pick up my water mixing station from Eric, and finish plumbing it. Still need to do a water change. Still need to install my swabbie and skimmate locker.

Here is Taco enjoying the tank while I was at work today. I caught him on my camera.

76df2eceb29dd8b60bbfb7e26ca86b9a.jpg

Sorry about the fathead. :( I just lost a fish too, and it always makes em so sad! Fatheads, from what I know, are notoriously shy and can be easily bullied.

You still do have quite a bit of SPS, sir! That's not a short list at all. I cannot seem to get my zoas to ever really thrive in my tank. They survive, but they don't seem to thrive.

And I love the Taco watching!

Sorry to hear you are shutting this down, I am sure you have your reasons. Great looking tank, glad you are not getting out.

Nothing wrong with some Zoas and Acans!

Good luck with the downsize. I have a hardtime knowing there are certain fish i just cant have with my 75 but the cost of feeding larger fish and water changes have kept me at bay.

Ummm Isaac? What's going on? Selling the whole thing?

Well, if I can get a buyer, which it looks like is possible. My wife just found out and told me not after what I just sunk into it... so we will see. 

Sorry to hear you are shutting this down, I am sure you have your reasons. Great looking tank, glad you are not getting out.

Just looking for something more interactive and smaller. That way I can focus on what I really want!

I'm sorry to hear this, too, but I think I might have a notion of where you are coming from.

I bet, it looks like you've been on the rocking chair before. 

Nothing wrong with some Zoas and Acans!

Good luck with the downsize. I have a hardtime knowing there are certain fish i just cant have with my 75 but the cost of feeding larger fish and water changes have kept me at bay.

Amen brotha'. We will see what happens. 

+1 ?

We will see, Frank. What are the odds are that my wife has taken to it...

Well, if I can get a buyer, which it looks like is possible. My wife just found out and told me not after what I just sunk into it... so we will see.

Just looking for something more interactive and smaller. That way I can focus on what I really want!

I bet, it looks like you've been on the rocking chair before.

Amen brotha'. We will see what happens.

We will see, Frank. What are the odds are that my wife has taken to it...

Well whatever you decide to do, just glad to see you're staying in the hobby.

Let me guess...you're going to set up a tank that's proportional to your living room?  :tongue:

Good luck w/ whatever you decide. I suspect Taco is taking up some of your free time as well...just like a baby. Think of it as practice.

Well whatever you decide to do, just glad to see you're staying in the hobby.

I'm not going anywhere.

Let me guess...you're going to set up a tank that's proportional to your living room?  :tongue:

Good luck w/ whatever you decide. I suspect Taco is taking up some of your free time as well...just like a baby. Think of it as practice.

I mean, it would make sense, lol. Taco is a bit of a whirlwind, I'm getting ready to put together a piece of all the screenshots I've taken of Taco enjoying the tank. It might not be the most artistic thing, but it will definitly be hilarious. If Taco is practice, I consider it an easy dry run, as he essentially came pretty well trained, all things considered!

Isaac let me know what I can do to help you out man!

Thanks bud, I appreciate the support. We will see, all depends on a potential buyer. I had somebody that was interested, but I talked them out of it (It wasn't really what they wanted.) I really don't mind it, and it's not a problem to keep, however, the space would be nice, and it's exciting to start new things.

what new thing or direction are you going in?

Hey Rob, if I can sale the tank and stand etc, I would like to go with a deep blue 80. If not, I'll ride this one out and just keep it simple till we move, probably a good idea to do anyways. Will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Rob, if I can sale the tank and stand etc, I would like to go with a deep blue 80. If not, I'll ride this one out and just keep it simple till we move, probably a good idea to do anyways. Will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you would love the deep blue 80. I currently have one and I love it. I had tanks ranging from 3 gallons all the way up to 180 gallons and this is by far the best tank I ever owned. I will hopefully start a build thread today.

I think you would love the deep blue 80. I currently have one and I love it. I had tanks ranging from 3 gallons all the way up to 180 gallons and this is by far the best tank I ever owned. I will hopefully start a build thread today.

You should start a build thread!

I'm constantly impressed when I see them. They are just awesome dimensions, and IMO, great looking tanks. Breaking down the 180 and setting up the 80 is going to depend on a buyer. If I can make it happen, I will, if I can't, then I won't. It's not a rush, it's not necessary, but it would be nice. We will see how it goes. In the meantime, I'll keep the 180 posting up and see how it rides.

While options are being tossed about, I decided to start doing some thing about the tanks current neglect. I've started to upgrade the water changing system, switched out the bulbs, which I believe I've already mentioned, and decided to clean the glass. I've done things in reverse order, but here are some pictures I snapped before I cleaned the glass. There are also some pictures of the lighting setup, for those of you who have asked.

Also pictured are some pictures of the coraline that I believe Evan was asking where it was? It's there, slowly popping up, beginning to taunt me. I've not tested my water besides salinity since I set it up. Everything appears to be doing OK. I also plan on skinning the stand next weekend.

DSC_0158_zps44ecee87.jpg

DSC_0163_zpseef3d268.jpg

DSC_0153_zpsa2099933.jpg

DSC_0160_zps80a78f16.jpg

DSC_0161_zps3facd253.jpg

DSC_0164_zps75091c89.jpg

DSC_0165_zps70e1a16e.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsbb1d1650.jpg

DSC_0169_zps99b7ec27.jpg

DSC_0177_zpsc760b45e.jpg

DSC_0179_zps7350fbc0.jpg

DSC_0180_zps7749984f.jpg

DSC_0181_zps251f93f9.jpg

DSC_0185_zpsd1e569ff.jpg

DSC_0186_zps599ac7e7.jpg

DSC_0187_zps4ce19f2e.jpg

DSC_0188_zps6e3bd42a.jpg

DSC_0189_zps27364eb8.jpg

DSC_0190_zpsb096524b.jpg

DSC_0191_zpsd2c85fe2.jpg

DSC_0196_zps4fab1d7f.jpg

DSC_0198_zps5076121a.jpg

Isaac, well, you know how everyone is being supportive and stuff of your thinking of switching tanks?  And remember when I was thinking of just setting up a 40 Breeder a year ago and you all convinced me to rebuild the 180 into a reef from a FW Cichlid?  You guys didn't have any problem giving it to me straight, haha.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say stick with the 180!  It's a darn beautiful setup and you've already spent so much time and it's really starting to show.  Yeah, the DB80 seems greener, but so is the grass in the other guy's yard, lol.

I was going to say the same thing as Shoelace.  This 180 has a beautiful custom stand you had built to your spec, lights that you fixed and hung yourself, it's in the exact spot you wanted when you were moving in to this place and was a pill to schlep around and get there after the move.  I'd advise you that unless someone offers you your ideal deal for the 180 you should stick with it and enjoy the effort you've put into it.  It's not going to cost you much more than an 80 to maintain at this point (unless you buy lots more live stuff to fill it, of course), and you're going to end up with a bunch of new sunk costs in the new 80, as you well know, that you'll never retrieve if you ever got rid of that one.  Also, even your current asking price is surely low for that 180 if you were trying to make the switch to an 80 cost neutral.