Build-apotamus

It will be awesome! I'm the hip-hop-apotomus, my lyrics are bottomless, popping off the top of this esophagus.

That rhyme is preposterous, I think Isaac may need to join alcoholics anonymous.........scratch, scratch :cool:

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas... Only a hippopotamus will do....

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas... Only a hippopotamus will do....

hate to say....I think your Christmas may suck. :tongue:

Someone is selling a 5foot nanobox for only $800+ shipping. You should take out 2 ATI bulbs and put the nanobox in it's spot.

Someone is selling a 5foot nanobox for only $800+ shipping. You should take out 2 ATI bulbs and put the nanobox in it's spot.

Sounds like Brad has an Xmas gift in the mail for Isaac...

Looking good Isaac, looking forward to seeing more.  BTW, I figure you've probably already decided but IMO, sand looks way, way better but at the same time, if you can't get your nutrients under control with sand, then your corals look worse.  So, assuming you can deal with detritus and keep your nutrients low, go with sand.  

one vote for no sand.

If you have an interesting enough system you shouldn't pay much attention to the bottom anyway.

Interesting perspective. I will probably slowly add sand. But just enough. Never been a fan of anything over 1", and I don't like the looks of DSB.

Great idea. Especially since I have to get a new ballast for 2 of my bulbs. However, I'd rather look at $40 for that than $800+ shipping!

Sounds like Brad has an Xmas gift in the mail for Isaac...

I know, PM'd with mailing address!

Looking good Isaac, looking forward to seeing more.  BTW, I figure you've probably already decided but IMO, sand looks way, way better but at the same time, if you can't get your nutrients under control with sand, then your corals look worse.  So, assuming you can deal with detritus and keep your nutrients low, go with sand.  

Thanks, Roni. I think I will ultimately end up putting sand in there, as I mentioned above. I've not had a lot of time to think about it. Every time I start thinking about something, something goes wrong, or takes most of the day. I finally cut some board so I could at least put the light up on top of the tank without falling in, fixed and wiped down the fixture, ballasts, wires, and end caps, as well as mounted all of my Apex and battery backup to a board. What I'm going to do with said board... who knows. I'm going to plug the Apex in tonight and start getting that all setup. It's starting to feel a bit like a burden, so I only work on it when the mood strikes. I've not got a solid water mixing station setup, so I'll have to get on that this weekend.

Anyways, enough rambling and crying, I did some aquascaping last weekend, and I tried to snap some not so blue photos, it's like the move sucked any photography skills I had out of me, will have to start getting used to the new lights. I know it looks empty, but there is so much stuff in there... I can't believe I sold most of it.

DSC_0137_zpsaa299593.jpg

Looks good!  

Another vote for no sand. I have all sorts of stuff growing on my bare bottom including chalices, monti caps, zoas, favia, pagoda and acans.

NO limit on flow, no detritus and more surface area for corals. 

no sand = no brainer

Interesting perspective. I will probably slowly add sand. But just enough. Never been a fan of anything over 1", and I don't like the looks of DSB.

Great idea. Especially since I have to get a new ballast for 2 of my bulbs. However, I'd rather look at $40 for that than $800+ shipping!

I know, PM'd with mailing address!

Thanks, Roni. I think I will ultimately end up putting sand in there, as I mentioned above. I've not had a lot of time to think about it. Every time I start thinking about something, something goes wrong, or takes most of the day. I finally cut some board so I could at least put the light up on top of the tank without falling in, fixed and wiped down the fixture, ballasts, wires, and end caps, as well as mounted all of my Apex and battery backup to a board. What I'm going to do with said board... who knows. I'm going to plug the Apex in tonight and start getting that all setup. It's starting to feel a bit like a burden, so I only work on it when the mood strikes. I've not got a solid water mixing station setup, so I'll have to get on that this weekend.

DSC_0137_zpsaa299593.jpg

I feel you!

I feel you!

I'm still in the same slump, although, slow progress is being made.

I bought a laser leveler last night so I could find the exact location of my holes for mounting the light. I have toggle bolts, canopies, and grippers ready to go.

I'm still 2 bulbs shorted on my fixture from the unintentional swim, but corals are reacting great, a big positive. My zoas are open wide, and colors are phenomenal. The sps I did keep is fully extended with polyps, and I've seen growth on patches that were left behind from my old mini colonies. My recently acquired green nem from morgunda has split a 3rd time. I would imagine it's stress, but my other nems look huge and healthy. Everything is looking really good, so I can't complain.

On order is a new ballast, endcaps, and fans. Once I get it all hooked up, I'll switch to my new bulbs, x2 coral+ and x6 blue +, all ATI.

I cabled some Ethernet this weekend, and plan to setup my Apex again once I can reach inside and determine pump locations. I think I will sell my WP40's and keep my 2 mp40's for a cleaner look.

Water changing is still at a stand still, need to at least make water, it's been a little bit since a change.

I did get my camera hooked up also!

0acca208371e1f7a94595af1f2404f78.jpg

Progress is progress! It's a marathon, not a sprint....although sprinting is involved.

I am not sprinting anywhere.... Neither should Isaac, he just moved into a new place (as did you) I am sure you have a million other things to do besides the tank. All in due time.

I am not sprinting anywhere.... Neither should Isaac, he just moved into a new place (as did you) I am sure you have a million other things to do besides the tank. All in due time.

I was thinking more along the lines of tank leaks and crashes. You sprint when that happens. The rest is a steady pace.

No sprinting. I mean, let's get real, I don't even have my ATO hooked up yet. 

Expect to have this running perfect by my visit!

:)

Haha. I'll at least have the light hung, ballast fixed, fans replaced, and new bulbs in. I can do that. 

Hit a speedbump tonight with my ceiling, but the end result is best. Waiting till tomorrow to run to home depot and grab some cement anchors and get a mason drill bit. 

No sprinting. I mean, let's get real, I don't even have my ATO hooked up yet. 

Haha. I'll at least have the light hung, ballast fixed, fans replaced, and new bulbs in. I can do that. 

Hit a speedbump tonight with my ceiling, but the end result is best. Waiting till tomorrow to run to home depot and grab some cement anchors and get a mason drill bit. 

What was your speedbump? I have cement ceilings and am unsure how to hang anything. I've tried drilling them before (no clue what kind of drill bit), so I'm interested in learning...

What was your speedbump? I have cement ceilings and am unsure how to hang anything. I've tried drilling them before (no clue what kind of drill bit), so I'm interested in learning...

My ceiling, and light mounting. http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?/topic/70146-My-ceiling%2C-and-light-mounting%2E

drill baby drill! (but tell the upstairs neighbors what you're up to first)

Neighbors shneighbors. I got started at 4:30pm, finished by 4:35pm. Feels good to be able to reach into the tank, move things about. Looks great, even at 6 bulbs. Will finish replacing the ballast, endcaps, and fans this weekend. Mixed up 50 gallons of RO/DI in the kitchen, will tide me over for a while, water change tomorrow.

Fretting this am

e75f4d5da25eb945b795834b4d8e9c6e.jpg

Tools

71bd5ac834ef42e38c7900cb136ef73f.jpg

Results

e5c910a988c6a20843d926e52f658d30.jpg

7a66be514ac3858b5cb45022a9b41c72.jpg

Why not?

c461a6fd46952b65f1ee15d11c691ec2.jpg

Ooh. Nice. I guess it wasn't difficult if it took 5 min :)

I probably could have done it without purchasing a hammer drill, but I went with the cheapest AIO, so I was in need of a drill as well, all worked out. I feel good about the sleek, yet super powerful hanging kit, no canopy needed. 

I see my rock made the cut.

Yes sir! It's hard to see from the picture, but it forms 3 different "steeps" if you will. The middle piece is my old arch that I had made taken from the 150, and the big piece is all my old tonga made into a branching structure that comes out in front of everything. I might move some stuff about once I get everything settled in. I have a bunch of flat plated rock in my sump that I'm planning on drilling for frag plugs and attaching to the big tonga branch structure. It's harder to work in this tank with the eurobrace, and the new height, and the new floors underneath that I'm perpetually worried about. I've been known to change my mind, so no promises on how anything will go.