Build-apotamus

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

66.6% bare (full of LPS growing on the bottom)acrylic divider  33.3% sand for the wrasses, and just cause I like sand.

I just made this decision this past monday on my 200dd. added 220 pounds of pink fiji sand.. still waiting for it to clear up. Looking forward to your build 

Dude that is like 21' deep in sand......I think. or like 3-4"?

This tank will be amazing.  Lots of room to play above and below.

Have to admit, the name of the thread is primo!

Maybe I'll call my next build "Reef-noceros,"  in honor of the Conchords.

Dude that is like 21' deep in sand......I think. or like 3-4"?

LOL its about 3-3.5 inches but the water is so cloudy that there could be a sand mountain in the middle hidden from sight

LOL its about 3-3.5 inches but the water is so cloudy that there could be a sand mountain in the middle hidden from sight

200DD Whatttt.

@ Duffy +10n the BB sand split !!!!

Duffy, are there any tanks online with that kind of a half and half split?  Kind of a fun sounding idea and it would keep the sand more contained than just putting a plate of sand in there for the wrasse to sleep in.

This tank will be amazing. Lots of room to play above and below.

Have to admit, the name of the thread is primo!

Maybe I'll call my next build "Reef-noceros," in honor of the Conchords.

It will be awesome! I'm the hip-hop-apotomus, my lyrics are bottomless, popping off the top of this esophagus.

Duffy, are there any tanks online with that kind of a half and half split?  Kind of a fun sounding idea and it would keep the sand more contained than just putting a plate of sand in there for the wrasse to sleep in.

No there are not, I just invented the Yin Yang sand bottom.....remember you heard it here first on Build-apotamus Live!

I have no clue, never seen one. :tongue:

If you had a nice black acrylic divider, maybe 1.5"- 2" tall, then you probably could keep your sand about .5" below it. Stick a few zoas, acans or something on the acrylic to let it grow out and hide the acrylic, and you have a bed for wrasses and some sand, which I think looks nice.

Progress in this world is never produced by the meek.....I like that, Ok TM it is mine.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Marcos spent a lot of time making sure everything was exactly how I wanted it, which is tough, because I didn't know. The cool thing about it (everything) but super cool thing about it, is that the internal butts up to the top of my eurobrace. Unless it gets through the weirs, nothing is getting in there.

I can't speak to the availability if these, this is custom, and held together with x3 1.5" bulkheads. It sits 4' wide internal and external, and at least 1' deep, I'd estimate 10 gallons in the external!

Hey Isaac, are there any concerns with the stress on the glass given the bulkheads are holding that weight up on the outside? I'd toyed with a similar idea once, but I wasn't up to figuring out if it would be a risk. I know some people use supports under an external... but I think not always if they trust silicone to do the job of holding the external weight entirely. It looks like Marco did a very good job.

Hey Isaac, are there any concerns with the stress on the glass given the bulkheads are holding that weight up on the outside? I'd toyed with a similar idea once, but I wasn't up to figuring out if it would be a risk. I know some people use supports under an external... but I think not always if they trust silicone to do the job of holding the external weight entirely. It looks like Marco did a very good job.

Hummmm..... With 4' long x 1' deep x4" wide that is 10g which is 83lbs / 3 holes is 27.6 lbs per hole.......

Ok engineering big brains, any issues with this? We have a new floor in this room!

2 pages already. Everything looks great. I wish you success on this tank as well!

Thanks, Jack. I hope so. I really hope so.

Nope. I'm supporting the pipes underneath with zip ties at the moment. The box is braced, and essentially up against the wall. It feel comfortable.

Dropped my new ATI in the tank last night. Whoops. Looks like the only damage done is an endcap that won't stop sparking. I've cleaned it out x3 now with RO/DI and let it dry, but it looks like I might have to replace it. If that doesn't work, I might need a new ballast. I guess I might as well get involved with the fixture now than later. Just another speedbump.

Looks like sand is the go. I'll probably get some in in the next month or so.

Thanks, Jack. I hope so. I really hope so.

Nope. I'm supporting the pipes underneath with zip ties at the moment. The box is braced, and essentially up against the wall. It feel comfortable.

Dropped my new ATI in the tank last night. Whoops. Looks like the only damage done is an endcap that won't stop sparking. I've cleaned it out x3 now with RO/DI and let it dry, but it looks like I might have to replace it. If that doesn't work, I might need a new ballast. I guess I might as well get involved with the fixture now than later. Just another speedbump.

Looks like sand is the go. I'll probably get some in in the next month or so.

Next time you want an underwater light just ask.

100023b4fa35a6cc582ec1a633c39e3d.image.3

So which was your favorite beer?....or are you still drinking! :cheers:

Edited by DuffyGeos

Next time you want an underwater light just ask.

100023b4fa35a6cc582ec1a633c39e3d.image.3

So which was your favorite beer?....or are you still drinking! :cheers:

I will alert you at midnight. Maybe tomorrow morning. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

I'm gearing up for a slide into home plate!

I will alert you at midnight. Maybe tomorrow morning. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

I'm gearing up for a slide into home plate!

Isaac- It ended 3 hours ago....if you slide into homeplate now you will probably get arrested :ph34r:

Isaac- It ended 3 hours ago....if you slide into homeplate now you will probably get arrested :ph34r:

There is this, see you at 9?

http://drinkthedistrict.com/avada2/rockthecore/

Btw, you are a smart you know what, with your underwater light comments and photo.

There is this, see you at 9?

http://drinkthedistrict.com/avada2/rockthecore/

Btw, you are a smart you know what, with your underwater light comments and photo.

So you are changing from Hops to fruit...nothing good will come of this!

I wish, off the bottle till Dec. so I can fit in my wetsuit for a dive trip.

"Btw, you are a smart you know what, with your underwater light comments and photo."

If you don't do stupid things when you are young, you will have nothing to laugh at when you are old......I laugh because I care! :laugh: :laugh:

Now keep drinking and call Uber when you are done! :tongue:

It will be awesome! I'm the hip-hop-apotomus, my lyrics are bottomless, popping off the top of this esophagus.

LMFAO.

That rhyme is preposterous, I think Isaac may need to join alcoholics anonymous.........scratch, scratch :cool: