Build-apotamus

Isaac, well, you know how everyone is being supportive and stuff of your thinking of switching tanks?  And remember when I was thinking of just setting up a 40 Breeder a year ago and you all convinced me to rebuild the 180 into a reef from a FW Cichlid?  You guys didn't have any problem giving it to me straight, haha.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say stick with the 180!  It's a darn beautiful setup and you've already spent so much time and it's really starting to show.  Yeah, the DB80 seems greener, but so is the grass in the other guy's yard, lol.

Apples and Oranges, Ed! Thanks for the compliment, I really wish I could get some nice shots of zoas from the top. I could, but it would involve a step stool, and moving my light. I have a list of things and equipment I would like to add, and things I would like to do if it is staying in my possession, and I need to get off my butt and do them, in no particular order:

• Skin the stand. This will prove harder to do than I think having a bulldog in the house, so I might outsource that to my folks. Plus he has taken to being very curious about my sump, time for a cover.
  • Hook a "T" in my plumbing, and get enough length and proper sized hose for draining, and returning water.
  • Finish my water mixing station.
  • Drill through the wall for my water mixing station.
  • Build and add a manifold to the return.
  • Add 2 reactors to the manifold.
  • Commission an Aquabox sump
  • Get a macro lens. (Tamron, 60mm)
  • Get a GoPro
  • Get Adobe Lightroom
  • Get more fish
  • Get more awesome acros
  • Get rid of pink and gold palys (yes, they're back)
  • Hook up swabbie and Avast superlocker.

Everything screams $ or time.

How do you eat a whale? (One bite at a time.)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know what you mean about Apples and Oranges regarding the specifics, but I think some of the underpinnings of the thought process and decision making might be the same:  Should I downsize?  Is this too big?  Wow, that dude's DB80 is nicer than my tank.  What should I do?  What does the wife think?  I don't want to lose too much money on this process.  Yada Yada.

I don't mean to imply I know exactly what is going on in your head, but that type of stuff sure went on in mine  :laugh: OK, gonna go back into pseudo-lurking mode again!

Yeah, I know what you mean about Apples and Oranges regarding the specifics, but I think some of the underpinnings of the thought process and decision making might be the same:  Should I downsize?  Is this too big?  Wow, that dude's DB80 is nicer than my tank.  What should I do?  What does the wife think?  I don't want to lose too much money on this process.  Yada Yada.

I don't mean to imply I know exactly what is going on in your head, but that type of stuff sure went on in mine  :laugh: OK, gonna go back into pseudo-lurking mode again!

No no, you're right. And boy would it be a PIA to switch into another tank. I'm just going to ignore the fact that I'm going to have to move it one day, and see how it goes.

IMO-  Why don't you keep what you have, do the things on your list that will allow it to reduce time for maintenance, look better in the room (skin it), and then just let it ride for a few months while you take care of anything that would make your wife happy! Then you can slowly start putting some money away for any of the upgrades.  Just a thought.

I was going to say the same thing as Shoelace.  This 180 has a beautiful custom stand you had built to your spec, lights that you fixed and hung yourself, it's in the exact spot you wanted when you were moving in to this place and was a pill to schlep around and get there after the move.  I'd advise you that unless someone offers you your ideal deal for the 180 you should stick with it and enjoy the effort you've put into it.  It's not going to cost you much more than an 80 to maintain at this point (unless you buy lots more live stuff to fill it, of course), and you're going to end up with a bunch of new sunk costs in the new 80, as you well know, that you'll never retrieve if you ever got rid of that one.  Also, even your current asking price is surely low for that 180 if you were trying to make the switch to an 80 cost neutral.

Sorry I skipped over this. Tapatalk just leaves things out on pages, and unless I'm on a desktop, they get overlooked.

I'm pretty much leaning this direction now, that and I don't have the energy to set up something new and like you mentioned, sink more money into something smaller, be it equipment, or more corals, whatever.

IMO-  Why don't you keep what you have, do the things on your list that will allow it to reduce time for maintenance, look better in the room (skin it), and then just let it ride for a few months while you take care of anything that would make your wife happy! Then you can slowly start putting some money away for any of the upgrades.  Just a thought.

Yup, good thoughs!

I think you're tank is starting to look great. +1 on DuffyGeos thought.

Thanks! Leaning that way.

I say no to TOTM. I am getting that feeling. I think this tank will set a record for said honors. ;)

I say no to TOTM. I am getting that feeling. I think this tank will set a record for said honors. ;)

We will see if it stays up long enough, thanks for the compliment.

DSC_0164_zps8208c5f2.jpg

DSC_0167_zpsca09ef0c.jpg

DSC_0168_zpsb9fc2d55.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsfdc5d49b.jpg

DSC_0160_zpsa33c60a9.jpg

Wheres a shot of those Megamans??

Haha, on the frag rack on the back wall. Didn't want to break out the top down and move the light. They look nice though, next batch.

I wanted to throw my .02 in this before it is too late.  Since I have known you, you have had (to my knowledge):

• a 29g biocube
  • a 57 gallon rimless
  • a 150g 
  • a 180g

I have lived in this area since Feb 2013 so that means I have known you for less than two years, and in that time you have gone through 4 tanks.  I say this not to criticize you in any way, but to point out that your desire to downgrade may not be because you are dissatisfied with this tank, but because you have "the itch" for something else (a new challenge perhaps?).  This happens to me as well, but in my case, a new coral or two usually tides me over until it subsides.

As a friend, I urge you to think about the restrictions that will come with the smaller tank.  You always seem passionate about fish, and any tank <~90g will keep many of them out of your range.  Is that something you want to deal with, or will you be looking for another 180 in 6 months?    

On a selfish note: I know we all enjoy reading/participating in your build threads so if you do go another route the forums will appreciate the ride!  

Good luck in the decision!  

Oh, one more thing to add.  

When I was looking to go smaller, my wife and I started talking through what would change with the smaller tank vs what I currently have.  Ultimately we decided that the only thing we would really be doing differently was a slightly smaller water change.  And for that privilege I would have to buy: new lights, a new tank, new plumbing, and new in-tank circulation pumps.  The initial outlay didn't make sense when compared to the relatively small savings in labor (i.e. smaller w/c).  

Might not be the same in your case, but I wanted to throw that in as well. 

Sounds like Isaac has as much fun doing the build as enjoying the tank - maybe more. So the problem is going to be trying to keep his hands out of the water or touching anything for an extended period of time.

Isaac- have you ever gone a week or 2 weeks without putting you hands in the water to mess with something? Besides cleaning the glass, cleaning skimmer cup, adding top off water, or feeding?

I agree with John- that is  to you just let what you have ride, let things grow, don't buy anything (yes it is hard), and just let the tank develop. It will cheaper (from this point on) then to get rid of it, and start another tank.  Just a thought.

I wanted to throw my .02 in this before it is too late.  Since I have known you, you have had (to my knowledge):

• a 29g biocube
  • a 57 gallon rimless
  • a 150g 
  • a 180g

I have lived in this area since Feb 2013 so that means I have known you for less than two years, and in that time you have gone through 4 tanks.  I say this not to criticize you in any way, but to point out that your desire to downgrade may not be because you are dissatisfied with this tank, but because you have "the itch" for something else (a new challenge perhaps?).  This happens to me as well, but in my case, a new coral or two usually tides me over until it subsides.

As a friend, I urge you to think about the restrictions that will come with the smaller tank.  You always seem passionate about fish, and any tank <~90g will keep many of them out of your range.  Is that something you want to deal with, or will you be looking for another 180 in 6 months?    

On a selfish note: I know we all enjoy reading/participating in your build threads so if you do go another route the forums will appreciate the ride!  

Good luck in the decision!  

Oh, one more thing to add.  

When I was looking to go smaller, my wife and I started talking through what would change with the smaller tank vs what I currently have.  Ultimately we decided that the only thing we would really be doing differently was a slightly smaller water change.  And for that privilege I would have to buy: new lights, a new tank, new plumbing, and new in-tank circulation pumps.  The initial outlay didn't make sense when compared to the relatively small savings in labor (i.e. smaller w/c).  

Might not be the same in your case, but I wanted to throw that in as well. 

Hey Jason! Thanks for stopping through! It's funny, I was just going through my biocube build probably as you were typing the above messages up, and I was thinking "man, that wasn't so long ago." I'll admit that I am all over the place, but it's a relief to see that at least I have been constantly climbing in size. No offense taken, I look at each tank as an opportunity to upgrade. The 29 to the 57 was a great opportunity, the 57 to the 150 was an amazing opportunity, and the 150 to the 180 was wanting of an a 2' depth vs. the narrower 150. 

I currently have a total of 5 fish, with no real plans of adding at the moment. The tank is zoa dominated, with some other LPS, nems, a clam, acans, and 2 acros. There have been some big life changes (for the better) with my family, and we might be moving again.It's a fairly frequent event that i have to hear about the size of the tank, and then sometimes it subsides. Unfortunately, this time it was probably my fault putting a buzz in her ear before said events even happened. 

I am with you 100% of the only changes being maybe smaller water changes, plus having to buy new equipment, and I have reservations about my sale as well. But it's not about money, at this stage it's about size. 

Sounds like Isaac has as much fun doing the build as enjoying the tank - maybe more. So the problem is going to be trying to keep his hands out of the water or touching anything for an extended period of time.

Isaac- have you ever gone a week or 2 weeks without putting you hands in the water to mess with something? Besides cleaning the glass, cleaning skimmer cup, adding top off water, or feeding?

I agree with John- that is  to you just let what you have ride, let things grow, don't buy anything (yes it is hard), and just let the tank develop. It will cheaper (from this point on) then to get rid of it, and start another tank.  Just a thought.

Believe it or not, Ken, this entire build has been mostly keeping my hands out of the tank. After I got all the corals glued to the rock I've pretty much been doing just that, cleaning glass, skimmer, top off and feeding. It's not a monetary issue, it's a size issue, location issue, and marital issue! 

I would like to keep it, but if I find a buyer, I will sell it with little hesitation and follow the big tank dream when we have a house. 

Believe it or not, Ken, this entire build has been mostly keeping my hands out of the tank. After I got all the corals glued to the rock I've pretty much been doing just that, cleaning glass, skimmer, top off and feeding. It's not a monetary issue, it's a size issue, location issue, and marital issue! 

I would like to keep it, but if I find a buyer, I will sell it with little hesitation and follow the big tank dream when we have a house. 

Happy wife....Happy life!

Sounds like you will maybe (guessing) need some more floor space for toys in the future? :unsure:

Edited by DuffyGeos

Hey Jason! Thanks for stopping through! It's funny, I was just going through my biocube build probably as you were typing the above messages up, and I was thinking "man, that wasn't so long ago." I'll admit that I am all over the place, but it's a relief to see that at least I have been constantly climbing in size. No offense taken, I look at each tank as an opportunity to upgrade. The 29 to the 57 was a great opportunity, the 57 to the 150 was an amazing opportunity, and the 150 to the 180 was wanting of an a 2' depth vs. the narrower 150. 

I currently have a total of 5 fish, with no real plans of adding at the moment. The tank is zoa dominated, with some other LPS, nems, a clam, acans, and 2 acros. There have been some big life changes (for the better) with my family, and we might be moving again.It's a fairly frequent event that i have to hear about the size of the tank, and then sometimes it subsides. Unfortunately, this time it was probably my fault putting a buzz in her ear before said events even happened. 

I am with you 100% of the only changes being maybe smaller water changes, plus having to buy new equipment, and I have reservations about my sale as well. But it's not about money, at this stage it's about size. 

You are doing it for the right reasons my friend!  Space in Arlington is a valuable resource :)

I've been in the hobby a while now.  Started with a 29gal standard, went to a 29gal biocube, then a 120gal custom, and back to a 17gal ada.  I find the small tanks more fun.  They are cheaper, less work, less spousal issues, etc.  I thought I wanted a big tank, then once I had it wish I never got it.

I think if I switch again, it will be 40gal max.  

Happy wife....Happy life!

Sounds like you will maybe (guessing) need some more floor space for toys in the future? :unsure:

Nice guess, but not yet. *phew.*

You are doing it for the right reasons my friend!  Space in Arlington is a valuable resource :)

Amen. We will see. I can probably take it with me again, but I'm just getting sick of lugging around a big tank. At this stage though, it might be just as much work as setting up a new tank though.

I've been in the hobby a while now.  Started with a 29gal standard, went to a 29gal biocube, then a 120gal custom, and back to a 17gal ada.  I find the small tanks more fun.  They are cheaper, less work, less spousal issues, etc.  I thought I wanted a big tank, then once I had it wish I never got it.

I think if I switch again, it will be 40gal max.  

Thanks for the sentiment, it's appreciated. I have everything I need for the 180, moving it, and space are just the issue. I realize I'm hot and cold on this one, but my situation is up in the air. We will probably know for sure at the end of this weekend.

Wow, that is a great pic! I can never get shots under blue lights to turn out like that. Awesome job!

Thanks, Jason. There was some post editing on that, but the colors are true to what my eye saw. I always enjoy a balled up nem, in my new tank they are always fully open, but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.