Build-apotamus

Haha. Camera has wifi with an app to download pics to the phone.

Few more

0C8F66E5-1547-4945-8699-1E31AA2EB6CA_zps

4193F86B-6038-400C-9B36-F8EA8B0E9CD7_zps

88B641AB-BDB7-4BCD-8FBA-771D407D2313_zps

A5FE0536-BBF3-479A-9091-30F83490D18A_zps

Edited by brad908

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting up those shots. I've been meaning to do an FTS since I rescaped a bit. Still moving frags onto rocks, or permanent places, added a red dragon and echinata from cliff puckstable, sps is loving the new setup and lights. Kinda waiting for everything to settle and grow in before I add to many things or overdo it, feel like I'm nicely stocked to start with. Will be looking into fish choices soon.

Once you skin the stand I would recommend removing all the wires.  I put a ottoman next to my tank with a cutout in the bottom.  I ran all my wires into the ottoman so they are not near the saltwater, and I can store test kits etc in there as well.  Looks like this:

15633970389_07062069f6_h.jpglight by mteske1, on Flickr

looks great, drill some holes in that board and feed the wires through (need to do this myself)..ive got a few pics from another guys tank on r2r or rc that is freaking amazing, ill see if i can find the equip box he made.

CS3 is looking purdy.

Also those clams look HORRIBLE, they need an immediate and perminant transfer to my tank.

quick question though...is the bucket directly on the floor? if i where you i would build up a floor and add some 1in or so trim all the way around, then seal it up so that it could hold any spillage.....cant tell you how many times ive had this happen to me now and am glad i kalked all around the stand so water cat get under it (though im on concrete so wouldnt affect it as much as the wood)

Thanks again for the shots, Brad, they are awesome! 

Once you skin the stand I would recommend removing all the wires.  I put a ottoman next to my tank with a cutout in the bottom.  I ran all my wires into the ottoman so they are not near the saltwater, and I can store test kits etc in there as well.  Looks like this:

That's a wonderful idea, everything is pretty set and forget on here, so I don't think I'll have any cords/controllers on the outside of the tank. It is super hard to keep clean with so many wires, but I guess that's part of the game with a bigger tank. The picture is decieving really, there is not much room on either end of the tank to add an ottoman or any kind of storage container because of our current configuration. I plan to eventually end up with this setup, or exact same size setup in a wall once we get into a house. My dream is to have a little fish room so it can all be done behind the scenes. 

looks great, drill some holes in that board and feed the wires through (need to do this myself)..ive got a few pics from another guys tank on r2r or rc that is freaking amazing, ill see if i can find the equip box he made.

CS3 is looking purdy.

Also those clams look HORRIBLE, they need an immediate and perminant transfer to my tank.

quick question though...is the bucket directly on the floor? if i where you i would build up a floor and add some 1in or so trim all the way around, then seal it up so that it could hold any spillage.....cant tell you how many times ive had this happen to me now and am glad i kalked all around the stand so water cat get under it (though im on concrete so wouldnt affect it as much as the wood)

Thanks! That's a good idea about drilling the holes through the board to run the wires through. I could even velcro the power supplies to the back to keep it trimmed up nice as well. The board was an afterthought, so I just kind of started drilling things onto it. I'd like to see those pics if you can find them! I'm a big fan of the CS3, it is an amazing performer, and every time I think about trying something else, I just empty out my skimmer cup, and remember why I like it so much! It is gigantic though. The clams, ah, the clams. They are liking their new digs in the tank, reacting really nice to the t5's, like everything else. I thought I was going to stay away from SPS, but I don't think I'll be able to, I think this system is setup for SPS success

The bucket is directly on the floor. I did have a board there, but I took it out, every time I spilled water, or cleaned up, something would get underneath into it, and I'd have to pull out the wood. I ended up just pulling it. I'm sure the floor is already stuffed in that particular area, and will just have to replace it when we move and pull out the tank. Good news is, tank is perfectly leveled. The bucket is actually hooked up to the Avast Super Locker. I've not installed it yet, but I also have a swabbie that I need to add to the skimmer cup, so overall, it's the entire Avast Skimmer Collection. I have an MR5 that I'm thinking about using to run carbon, and was going to consider GFO, but also thought about bio pellets. Might just skip all of it and keep running a la natural, as it has been working.. 

b99cb794f70a8ead48a2d8d841bac40e.jpg

Progress. The area in the kitchen is tiled, so I'm not sure about drilling through. I think my wife will be pissed, I should have a plated cover on hand, just to keep from hearing any grief. It will be nice to make water comfortably again. I plan on adding a T to my drain so I can hook up a hose to run to the toilet for draining, and can hook my pump up to it to add water. I'm going to retire the bucket brigade that has been my life for almost 3 years.

On another note, I glued some zoas to the rock, attempting to clear my frag racks out! More progress!

b05d18a04bac35cfb9e63c3602b6a01b.jpg

I also woke up like this.

2e7f5951c320f0863250683b1c7eb5fa.jpg

I can remember rubbing my eyes last night, even after a hand wash. It doesn't hurt, but I look like I've had a mild stroke.

I did visit the morning with a potential English bulldog who licked, pawed, and accosted just about every inch of my torso and head, but the reaction didn't happen till last night, so I think the reef is culprit. It does not hurt, but I have been rinsing with water. Don't think it's worth the time or $ at an ER, or any other clinic based on my symptoms, if it does not fade in the next day or so, I will get it checked.

Anyways, ALWAYS make sure you wash your hands folks!

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you had or lived with a dog? The reason I ask is that I grew up with a cat from birth till 4th grade, then had golden retrievers in the house till I left for college. No dogs in college, moved home with the golden there and lived there for 3 years setting up my company. Then moved out and got married after 5 years with no animals. We then adopted a Russian Blue cat and after about 6 months I was allergic to cats, and after being tested also dogs.

So after 10 years with a cat, and 11 years with dogs I am now allergic to both. We had to put the cat up for adoption after 1.5 years allergy issues.

I have found a lot of people that have developed allergic in their late 20's and early 30's.

May want to get checked out for allergies before adoption. IMO.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you had or lived with a dog? The reason I ask is that I grew up with a cat from birth till 4th grade, then had golden retrievers in the house till I left for college. No dogs in college, moved home with the golden there and lived there for 3 years setting up my company. Then moved out and got married after 5 years with no animals. We then adopted a Russian Blue cat and after about 6 months I was allergic to cats, and after being tested also dogs.

So after 10 years with a cat, and 11 years with dogs I am now allergic to both. We had to put the cat up for adoption after 1.5 years allergy issues.

I have found a lot of people that have developed allergic in their late 20's and early 30's.

May want to get checked out for allergies before adoption. IMO.

I would like to clarify, that I did not wake up upside down. I don't know how that happened with my picture, stupid tapatalk.

I did 2 year stint with a jack russel about a year ago, and have been around/stayed with dogs since. I would find it really hard to believe it was the dog. I can with almost 90% certainty say it was from the reef. I probably handled about 30 zoa frags, some of which I applied pressure too while I ensured they got epoxied to the rock strongly. I guess never say never though. 

Current stock:

x2 stocky anthias

x2 Fathead anthias

x2 clowns

x1 blue side wrasse

x1 Hippo tang

x1 pyramid butterfly

x1 copperband butterly

Stocking list:

x2 more pyramids (total of 3)

x1 Yellow (or purple) tang

x1 Achilles Tang

x1 Powder Brown

x1 Blond Naso Tang

x1 Blueface Angel (juvie)

x3 Flame Wrasse

x1 McCoskers Wrasse

x1 Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse

I think the fish that are in bold are a definite for me. I've always wanted a blueface, the only thing that is keeping me from a blueface is the zoas all over my tank that I love so much. It would definitely be on a trial period to see if I could keep it happy and plump without munching on my favorite corals. 

What is with your tds meter...are you reading right next to each other.? Usually it's out of the membrane and after the di...not both after the di that needs changing

Sorry to hear about the eye...I've done that once and it took a day or two to be normal ...I'd agree most likely zoas...... Or you spilled water and your better half got angry....you can tell us the truth....this is a safe place

b99cb794f70a8ead48a2d8d841bac40e.jpg

Progress. The area in the kitchen is tiled, so I'm not sure about drilling through. I think my wife will be pissed, I should have a plated cover on hand, just to keep from hearing any grief. It will be nice to make water comfortably again. I plan on adding a T to my drain so I can hook up a hose to run to the toilet for draining, and can hook my pump up to it to add water. I'm going to retire the bucket brigade that has been my life for almost 3 years.

On another note, I glued some zoas to the rock, attempting to clear my frag racks out! More progress! b05d18a04bac35cfb9e63c3602b6a01b.jpg

I also woke up like this. 2e7f5951c320f0863250683b1c7eb5fa.jpg

I can remember rubbing my eyes last night, even after a hand wash. It doesn't hurt, but I look like I've had a mild stroke.

I did visit the morning with a potential English bulldog who licked, pawed, and accosted just about every inch of my torso and head, but the reaction didn't happen till last night, so I think the reef is culprit. It does not hurt, but I have been rinsing with water. Don't think it's worth the time or $ at an ER, or any other clinic based on my symptoms, if it does not fade in the next day or so, I will get it checked.

Anyways, ALWAYS make sure you wash your hands folks!

It not good to drink and reef !!! :)

Me too, but thats usually when I mess something up.

But I flooded my basement closet yesterday sober.......so what does that say :blink:

I'm glad it wasn't an ER trip! As for no more bucket brigade, that is priceless.

You and me both. It's close to normal tonight. I am looking forward to no more bucket brigade for sure!

Looking good! The tank that is, you in the other hand...hope that's gotten better

Thanks! Almost back to "normal."

What is with your tds meter...are you reading right next to each other.? Usually it's out of the membrane and after the di...not both after the di that needs changing

Sorry to hear about the eye...I've done that once and it took a day or two to be normal ...I'd agree most likely zoas...... Or you spilled water and your better half got angry....you can tell us the truth....this is a safe place

You gave me a really loud LoL this am, but I've not been able to respond! She's actually guilty of spilling water on the floor with our Xmas tree that takes up the other 1/3 of our condo.

The tds meter is reading right, the wires are just all tangled up.

It not good to drink and reef !!! :)

At home, it's pretty common!

I do it all the time, give him a break! :cheers:

Cheers!

Me too, but thats usually when I mess something up.

When I'm fragging, cleaning the tank, cleaning the glass, programming my apex, adjusting my lights, cable mgmt, emptying my skimmer, testing my water, acclimating a fish, dipping a coral, routine inspections, water changes, etc.

But I flooded my basement closet yesterday sober.......so what does that say :blink:

You're doing it wrong.

Hmmmmm Frag Tank should be online then !!!!!

Hence the statement "I WORK from home" not watch Maury Povich (is he even on) all day and eat bon-bons (really I am not even sure what they are, some type of pastry?)

I really need to get some help to plumb that thing. Part of the problem is I am not sure where to start. Too many things to tie in and I don't have the sump set up since I am too busy with work. Except for my 5 min breathers on WAMAS 5 times a day! :laugh:  Such a stress reducer!

He's got the eye of the tiger! Nice new system and that GBPTBA is so hot. Ya Mon!

Haha, hey man, thanks for checking it out. Eye of the Tiger is gone, now everybody knows I'm just giving them the stink eye because that's now I look.

Hence the statement "I WORK from home" not watch Maury Povich (is he even on) all day and eat bon-bons (really I am not even sure what they are, some type of pastry?)

I really need to get some help to plumb that thing. Part of the problem is I am not sure where to start. Too many things to tie in and I don't have the sump set up since I am too busy with work. Except for my 5 min breathers on WAMAS 5 times a day! :laugh:  Such a stress reducer!

Ken, sit down, and plan your system out. Draw it, post it up, let WAMAS tear into it, redesign, do it again, then start!

I took some photos tonight just to try and play with the camera and the new lights. I only have my stock lens at the moment. Christmas wishlists have long since sailed, or else I would have put a nice macro on mine, one of these days I'll make it a priority to find one. It will really help with the zoa pics.

For now, these will have to do:

DSC_0210_zps5990af7d.jpg

DSC_0209_zps379cf4fc.jpg

DSC_0205_zps39fb88d5.jpg

DSC_0204_zps4cdd6a96.jpg

DSC_0200_zpsdcf8aab9.jpg

This guy wanted his picture taken real bad... or wanted to be fed

DSC_0199_zpsfa278705.jpg

DSC_0195_zps5c54cf65.jpg

DSC_0214_zps61605e7d.jpg

DSC_0215_zps05e6991c.jpg

Yes he is still on. Kevin watches Maury. When I found that out, I seriously considered questioning my choice in a boyfriend. But then I remembered that he watches Criminal Minds marathons with me, so I guess I can forgive a little train-wreck watching!