Build-apotamus

Well, closer and closer to getting it right. Still going through the ugly phase, but I am confident it will be battled sooner than later. I have started using filter socks (I'm a believer!) and I'm still working on getting the skimmer dialed in right, so I'm running it real wet, have to empty it every couple of days. I guess better than not running it, pulling out a cross between coffee and tea colored water. Siphoned out all the gunk and rock, and sand that was loose and lying about. I had a ballast go out in the brand new ATI, so I had to wait on that to be replaced. Running at 70% white 40% blue, I have yet to hook up a schedule (dimmable ATI, 36" 8 bulb.) The carpet nem is expanding further out each day, either it's growing, or getting comfortable. It's taking up considerably more real estate than expected, but it's also a cool sight to see 4 platinum nems hosting a huge carpet!

DSC_0689_zpsyiu7rvsa.jpg

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I loveeeeee the scape!

Thanks, Kim! It's even better in person, the photos do not capture the detail and planning that went into it!

WOW, not sure how I missed this the past couple of weeks, but the tank/sump looks beautiful Isaac! Love the scape also!

Thanks! It's getting there! Just waiting on some stuff to grow out and the Diatomes to clear up with the hair algae.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I've added the filter socks, and finally got the skimmer *somewhat* dialed in, I'm seeing a real big change in the tank. There is still some cyano, and there is still some hair algae, but I believe it will clear up sooner than later. I also turned my flow up a bit, and that seems to have really helped as well. Still have to program the lights, they are dimmable, but I just turn them on in the AM and off in the PM, just lazy. 

This picture pretty much sums up the state of the tank currently

DSC_0772_zpsxtcrk68p.jpg

DSC_0705_zpslvxmev5i.jpg

There is still some cool stuff happening though!

DSC_0730_zpsbpccrgrp.jpg

DSC_0737_zpsalnxf8w1.jpg

DSC_0767_zpsepf4dgtr.jpg

Anybody got the names of the two on the left? I think they are Jason Fox corals, from Charm City, can't remember. 

DSC_0744_zpsszk7yrgk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wife wanted to swap around some furniture, I'm not sure how I feel about the change, but it makes a nice cubby in the corner with the TV, we added a desk, I think if I ever do a tank again (I've got to stop thinking about future tanks and just work with what I've got!) that I would like to do a peninsula, dividing the room, and then a sump area in the basement. If I had the room, I probably would have drilled the overflow onto the side, but oh well.

DSC_0002_zpsdtenlsp0.jpg

The filter socks are doing a great job, I bought 15 of them, and my sump takes them in 3's. I can go about a month before I have to do a wash, but I will probably get more just so I can not have to deal with washing every month because I'm lazy. It has really helped clear up the tank, and the skimmer is finally dialed in and seems to be on point, you can make it out underneath pumping some poo!

DSC_0005_zpsefo7kvnl.jpg

I figured it was time I inventoried my zoa collection, I broke my old macro lens, so I'm doing the best I can with what I've got, all quick shots, so I apologize if anything is blurry.

DSC_0009_zpstvnvkfps.jpg

DSC_0010_zps3wnek6cw.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsv03eorlz.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsdgjdk7i1.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsnqh2gceo.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsrhmzc8fu.jpg

DSC_0016_zpscdlcjetm.jpg

DSC_0017_zps3k10ta5q.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsff8gocne.jpg

DSC_0019_zpssxpobs5r.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsjf4xkrxk.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsuiav6d7u.jpg

DSC_0022_zps8rhd7x35.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsloax3fj8.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsxvgxgz3i.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsl1roo7nn.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsberip50x.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsaefyhr3o.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsrwfb8976.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsotdjxnnn.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsu8uikbjg.jpg

DSC_0037_zps6zwtwkcr.jpg

DSC_0039_zpsuosoepfr.jpg

DSC_0040_zps3nbwys0r.jpg

DSC_0041_zpsrvn188a3.jpg

DSC_0042_zpswihomhad.jpg

DSC_0043_zpsf1fze6lh.jpg

DSC_0044_zpswn2h6pyh.jpg

DSC_0051_zpsvzntd2u7.jpg

Not Zoos or P's, but some of the only other corals in my tank, like a mini GBTA:

DSC_0050_zpsuebi8nex.jpg

3 of the 4 of my plat harem:

DSC_0046_zpse88bc1iv.jpg

Rock nem:

DSC_0045_zpsuyvrx2gn.jpg

Forest Milli:

DSC_0008_zps8taarikf.jpg

Some rainbow birdsnest that I was burning, so it's been moved down, guess the zoos love the 8 bulb ATI, and the SPS is bleaching... it's weird:

DSC_0013_zps6ejaqfsf.jpg

Wow, nice collection!!!

Thank you, sir. It's slowly bouncing back. I lost A LOT of nice stuff. Time and patience. I want to get it as simple as possible these days, keep the worries down.

That's is a lot of rasta. Oh man

It's the last of the big colonies that I had. There are more zoas in my collection, but they are for sale in the FS section. I'm on the lookout for Strawberry Wines, Space Monsters, CB Bowsers. My plan is to only keep what I can fit in the plug sections that I drilled. I plan on adding some SPS that I like, but I am not going to add anything smaller than a 1/2 fist size. Some of the SPS on my list is Red Dragon, Oregon Tort (I would happily replace with Cali Tort, I think it's just as nice,) Strawberry Shortcake, Pink Lemonade, ORA Pearlberry, Superman Milli. I want to get rid of about half the rock, but I know that might present problems. I am hoping if I keep my bioload down (which is the plan) then it should not be an issue with the left structure, and the carpet nem dominating the right hand side. If I have to, I will find a way to compensate, be it GFO, Biopellets, or Vodka, Vin dosing. It is a ways out, so I don't want to over think it. 

I'm starting to add up the costs of the tank, and I want to get a little flush again before I make any big changes or plans.

Looking good. With your new furniture lay out I can see where a peninsula tank would be sweet. Id love to do a peninsula drop down tank (day dreaming) upstairs one day. 

Im on a little bit of a zoa kick right now but terrible with ids. Ill have to ask you what a couple of those are so I can put them on my want list.

Looking good. With your new furniture lay out I can see where a peninsula tank would be sweet. Id love to do a peninsula drop down tank (day dreaming) upstairs one day. 

Im on a little bit of a zoa kick right now but terrible with ids. Ill have to ask you what a couple of those are so I can put them on my want list.

I've probably had about 7 tanks since I started. This will be the last one for a while, took that into consideration before setting it up. It's just big enough that it will keep me choosy about what goes into it, but small enough that I don't have to hear about all the real estate I'm taking up. It's nice to have the 2' depth, and the shallow height, with a few extra inches to make it an even 4' in length. Let me know what you want to know the names of, and I will be glad to help you out. I also checked these pictures out on the phone, and they look pretty shoddy compared to the desktop, I will have to keep that in mind for future posts.

The spiral growth pattern on the birdsnest is cool.

It's been moved down, as I was bleaching it from the lights (I think.) Oddly, most of my SPS is having a hard time adapting to the lights getting stronger, and my zoos are loving it. I'm of the impression that if it can't handle it, then I don't want it in my tank. This will also help dictate what I want to keep SPS wise in the future. The millie is at the top of the tank and it's loving it.

It's been moved down, as I was bleaching it from the lights (I think.) Oddly, most of my SPS is having a hard time adapting to the lights getting stronger, and my zoos are loving it. I'm of the impression that if it can't handle it, then I don't want it in my tank. This will also help dictate what I want to keep SPS wise in the future. The millie is at the top of the tank and it's loving it.

I've noticed with my birdsnest it gets better color away from the lights. I dont know if thats the case with all of them though.

Zoas are hot man! Unbelievable color on that milli. I have some issues with SPS acclimating under the brand new ATI also. But I'm thinking its new strong bulbs and the fact that I ran nothing but LED in the past.

I've noticed with my birdsnest it gets better color away from the lights. I dont know if thats the case with all of them though.

It won't matter much soon. I will probably pass it on, as it was given to me. I just wanted to test the tank and see if I could get some basic stonies going before I dropped anything expensive in there. Or I'll get it colored up again and maybe really want to keep it, its the proverbial canary in the cave mine piece.

Zoas are hot man! Unbelievable color on that milli. I have some issues with SPS acclimating under the brand new ATI also. But I'm thinking its new strong bulbs and the fact that I ran nothing but LED in the past.

Thank you, sir! It's getting there. I don't have half the collection I would like, but these things take time, and money.

As for the ATI and the bulbs, they should be past the break in period, they have been running for about 2 months, maybe longer. The fact that the millie is holding up is awesome, because it came from underneath LED's. I have blasted it with light and flow, and it's been two weeks. I got it from Jason R., and he said that the orange base is coming out now that it is under the T5's. It's possible that the SPS that is bleaching out is due to something other than the lights, there are so many variables to take into account that it is hard to peg something down. The light seems like the most obvious choice.

Saw that, nice to get a plug on there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isaac,

Tank is coming along nicely.  I need to check it out next time I'm up your way :)

Thanks, Roni! It's getting there. I cant imagine what I'll end up with if I just stick with it, haha. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, and not kill everything like I nearly did with the moves. You're more than welcome to swing by whenever you're up if I'm around, we are right by Tysons Corner, and I'm fairly sure the Frag Fest will be held right around the corner!