Build-apotamus

Get a little ADA tank. You'll love it!

heard that

Thanks gents, I'm looking for a larger, but shallow footprint. I'm thinking a deep blue 60 or 80, or a dsa 65. My wife was always impressed with that old ADA of yours Brad, that I guess Bowie is rocking.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deep blue 60 as in the 24x24x24? Please don't.

I love 36x18x18" dimensions

http://www.amazon.com/Landen-Gallon-Rimless-Aquarium-FT-008/dp/B00HNJ6UPU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422381290&sr=8-4&keywords=landen+aquarium

ADA and Mr. Aqua sell them too. Landen is top notch though.

deep blue 60 as in the 24x24x24? Please don't.

I love 36x18x18" dimensions

http://www.amazon.com/Landen-Gallon-Rimless-Aquarium-FT-008/dp/B00HNJ6UPU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422381290&sr=8-4&keywords=landen+aquarium

ADA and Mr. Aqua sell them too. Landen is top notch though.

Nope, like 48x24x12" (60g)

Or

48x24x16" (80g)

Or 36x20x21" (ada 65)

48x24x16" (80g)

This sounds like better dim. for a nice shallow tank that will give you some width to play with rock and coral.

My pick would be the 48x24x16.

Or a 48x48x12 walk around cube in the dining room :)

Edited by brad908

Congrats on the sale! What is that blue/purple SPS in the first picture? Did you notice any difference with the starphire glass?

Thanks! Oregon Tort, it's blue as can be. Yes, it's nice, super clear, and scratches real easy..

^ that tank is packed!!

Wait until you see the pictures tonight or tomorrow.

haha.  Bare bottom tank with no bottom showing.  

Isaac, I hope it all survives the move you have going on.  Probably a nice chunk of change in scolys and clam even before the zoas are counted.  Are there fish in there too?  

Also, I wish I was your realtor so I could be collecting two commissions in a row.

haha.  Bare bottom tank with no bottom showing.  

Isaac, I hope it all survives the move you have going on.  Probably a nice chunk of change in scolys and clam even before the zoas are counted.  Are there fish in there too?  

Also, I wish I was your realtor so I could be collecting two commissions in a row.

Thanks, Alan. Sorry for the late response. I woke up this morning after moving the tank a few days ago, and I've lost some really nice peices. I think my salinity is all out of wack, but don't have my refracto to even test at the moment. No fish, I sold them all, starting fresh.

It's discouraging, I've lost quite a bit of money with what was probably a stupid mistake of mixing some RO in with the saltwater, but wont know for certain till tonight. Clam still looks good, and zoas are trecking along, so I at least have that.

You know this will not last long. :)

You know it.

Are you still right down the street? I can bring my refractometer over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I'm in Fairfax now, borderline Vienna. I got my refracto, it was not salinity. I had a snail big boy snail) do some serious spawning, wonder if that made a difference? Could have been anything

man, sorry to hear that.  hopefully most things made it through okay.  spawning incident overloading the filtration could do it.   

man, sorry to hear that.  hopefully most things made it through okay.  spawning incident overloading the filtration could do it.   

The zoas all look alright. The acans are 50/50, most of my newly aquired chalice didn't do great. My scoly's are starting to recede pretty bad. I'm wondering if something is stinging them, as my scoly on the other side looks ok? Maybe just more resiliant?

The snail is easly the size of the bottom of a pint glass and 3" high. I've never seen action like it before, just started spewing out clouds of what I presume was sperm? I couple folks witnessed him while I was moving wheeling and dealing shutting down the 180, he's really gigantic. At this stage it looks like he's a $400 snail if indeed the cause.

that sucks man.  acans are pretty hardy...maybe cut back the light intensity a little as well since i'm sure the distance from the bulbs is less in the new tank...and I find stressed corals seem to be a little more sensitive to light. 

is there anyone close that can hold the scolys for you?  i have a little room in the nano but i'm far.  

also, I assume you've run carbon and done a water change but might help if there's a toxin that you can't id.  

• 1 month later...

also, I assume you've run carbon and done a water change but might help if there's a toxin that you can't id.  

You would assume that, however, in the move I didn't have any water made up, and I had just drained 180 gallons of it. Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Oh well, you live and learn. I lost quite a bit of my stock, but oh well.

Seeing as I can't not keep busy, here are some updates about what's been happening on this end.

I picked up these awesome silver eyed plats from Operation Reef Ready (our very own Mattie) and I am thrilled. They are the first fish into my biocube, and I'm really looking forward to watching them grow and color up. I had reached out back in June 2014 when Chris posted this topic with his clowns. I really wanted to have them then, but I didn't want to mix them with the perc I had at the time. It was a pleasure to work with Matt until we found just what I was looking for. They are pretty energetic, so a photo of 2 of them is doubtful, let alone in focus:

DSC_0555_zpsxaajsgfd.jpg

Just taking a poop I guess, sorry, but it shows the patterns nice!

DSC_0554_zps76bbmpqa.jpg

DSC_0543_zpszehfi01c.jpg

Because I like to make life really hard, I couldn't help but pull the trigger on Fazio's (Anthony's) 3 Musketeer Platinum's and green carpet nem. I've dubbed them the 3 amigos instead:

DSC_0537_zps3shk8uy6.jpg

DSC_0533_zpsfkmhcchx.jpg

I'm hoping because they are significantly larger, they will get along with the Silver Eyes once I put them all in a tank together. I've taken the ADHI sump that I have up for sale and have turned it into a holding tank on my dresser, which is giving me all sorts of ideas about a display sump:

DSC_0557_zpspwg3rw4t.jpg

I have decided that no matter what direction I go, my rock work will be minimalistic, and I will not do a lot of "hard to keep" corals, or SPS. I'm sure some will make their way in, but I want to be realistic that whatever gets setup will not be up for more than 2 years before a move. I will also not be doing sand. I think the clowns are going to be the only fish I will keep as well (keeping it REAL simple.) I am probably a pioneer in setting up tanks while thinking about the easiest way to break them down and set them back up again, but if you're going to be good at something, be an expert. I'm really eying the DSA 105's, and I think it will be a great mid sized tank for the place we are in now, and maybe as a forever tank. I understand my history does not stand to reason with "forever."

The Biocube doesn't see a lot of attention from me, but since I've added the clowns, I've been a little bit more up on it. I've not cleaned the glass since we moved, put in any media, and I've only done one 10 gallon water change. I've only topped off once, the evaporation rate does not exist here, maybe because it's an enclosed container? I remember my old biocube needed about a gallon a day.

DSC_0539_zpsw0wksbx8.jpg

DSC_0544_zpsv9jc02bo.jpg

Reef on!