To skim. Or not to skim?

Joshifer

That is the question?

Lol

Really. Should I run a skimmer on a 8 gal? Theirs some on amazon for $20-$30.

Sorry for all the topics I start. Just wanna make sure and get things right.

A $20 skimmers gonna be a piece of crap...no point wasting money...

Skimmers for nanos and picos really are how much they cost...

And if you keep up on your water changes and don't over feed...you'll be fine..

Like I said its not like your putting in any sps... Stick with LPS, zoas, mushrooms and softies (which can handle dirtier water anyways) and you'll be fine...

A $20 skimmers gonna be a piece of crap...no point wasting money...

Skimmers for nanos and picos really are how much they cost...

And if you keep up on your water changes and don't over feed...you'll be fine..

Like I said its not like your putting in any sps... Stick with LPS, zoas, mushrooms and softies (which can handle dirtier water anyways) and you'll be fine...

Okie dokie. I don't mind doing water changes. How do I close this topic ?

Lol... You don't...

And of course don't just take my word...that's the great thing about wamas...you will get many opinions... It's nice to hear others, and their personal testimonies,lol

So actual 8 gallons, or around 6 after live rock and so?? if so... as said above. Stay with just Routine Maintenance and don't overdo the Bio-Load. Crashes are easy in a tank that size if you put a heavy load upon it. Keep it light,  as said above, Softies,  zooa's  Shrooms' and LPS only, and a Vert' or 2. Who know's, maybe in a few months you'll try your NanoHand at SPS ;) ... BTW....    

Welcome to WAMAS.

So actual 8 gallons, or around 6 after live rock and so?? if so... as said above. Stay with just Routine Maintenance and don't overdo the Bio-Load. Crashes are easy in a tank that size if you put a heavy load upon it. Keep it light, as said above, Softies, zooa's Shrooms' and LPS only, and a Vert' or 2. Who know's, maybe in a few months you'll try your NanoHand at SPS ;) ... BTW....

Welcome to WAMAS.

Thanks. Lets see 8 gallon total. 12lbs of rock and I wanna say almost 3 inch sand bed. So like 5 or 6 gallons of water. Now what counts against my bio load? I heard cuc doesn't. I don't think I have many fish options. Unless its something small that wont fight with the clown. I'm gonna go with about 5 tiny blue legged hermits. A few sand sifting snails. I don't need glass cleaners I have a magnet thingy. Also do corals add to the bio load? Thanks Edited by Joshifer

The fish and corals if you feed them do count. If you supplement the CUC with feeding then they too count. You proabaly don't need 5 blue legs. If they get low on food they will go after the snails and each other. I would just do weekly 2 gal water changes and skip the skimmer.

The fish and corals if you feed them do count. If you supplement the CUC with feeding then they too count. You proabaly don't need 5 blue legs. If they get low on food they will go after the snails and each other. I would just do weekly 2 gal water changes and skip the skimmer.

+1

make sure the fresh made saltwater has the same salinity and temperature as the water in the tank to avoid shocking the live stocks.

If you supplement the CUC with feeding then they too count. You proabaly don't need 5 blue legs.

What is a CUC?

Joshifer - What water are you using for top off evaporation with and for mixing your new saltwater in? Is it just tap water or it from an RO unit?

I haven't done anything actually. Small reef came over and checked everything, she added some of her mixed salt water.

But I'll be using water from a RO unit at walmart. I have two filled. One salt one without. Each 5G jugs

Edited by Joshifer

Your on the right triack, and as someone else said, Yes all these things and more will factor into increasing your Bio-Load.  But through Persistence and Dedication, that tank will be Amazing :)

If you can learn how to handle an 8g reef tank without a skimmer and successfully grow corals for 2+ years in it, you can easily do it in a big tank. 

Tiny tanks are much harder to maintain and need to have rock solid water chemistry to be successful.

If you need some inspiration, look at Julian Sprung's old 10g tank. 

If you can learn how to handle an 8g reef tank without a skimmer and successfully grow corals for 2+ years in it, you can easily do it in a big tank. 

Tiny tanks are much harder to maintain and need to have rock solid water chemistry to be successful.

If you need some inspiration, look at Julian Sprung's old 10g tank.

I couldn't agree more....a nano sps tank is probably one of the toughest tanks to keep because you have no margin for error.......

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done anything actually. Small reef came over and checked everything, she added some of her mixed salt water.

But I'll be using water from a RO unit at walmart. I have two filled. One salt one without. Each 5G jugs

I read somewhere NOT to use Walmart RO water because of poor maintenance/high tds/etc. Make sure you test the RO from Wally-World! But if you're just doing softies and LPS I think you'll be fine.

If you're not making your own RO/DI and are buying water by the gallon at the supermarket or drug store, get distilled. You may pay a little more, but it's 0 TDS and you don't have to worry what condition the filters inside the dispensing machine are in.

I read somewhere NOT to use Walmart RO water because of poor maintenance/high tds/etc. Make sure you test the RO from Wally-World! But if you're just doing softies and LPS I think you'll be fine.

I kinda' had that thought when I was there... Still used it anyways. :/  May have to secondThink it now...

Whole Foods FTW.  Their distilled machine is crazy good!

All Whole Foods, or just that one in particular??/ Cause I'm worried., store by store.. Some employee's may lack on that "Regular Maintenance"