To skim. Or not to skim?

Joshifer

Its the really nice on in Fairfax they built a few years ago.  Right by my work.  I remember when they first opened Emeril was taping a show there.

I have a friend that works there, he said someone checks out the machine about once a week.  Not bad for 44 cents.

I don't really know about other Whole Foods, this is the only one I go to because it is freakin awesome.

Its the really nice on in Fairfax they built a few years ago.  Right by my work.  I remember when they first opened Emeril was taping a show there.

I have a friend that works there, he said someone checks out the machine about once a week.  Not bad for 44 cents.

I don't really know about other Whole Foods, this is the only one I go to because it is freakin awesome.

interesting, Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ive recently acquired a nano and just started looking into equipment, from this thread it looks like water changes would be sufficient but does that mean no filters at all? 

Could i get by with water changes(RO/DI water), thermometer and flow? 

And live rock?  Maybe, depending on what size tank and your bioload.  I like to use some filter floss as mechanical filtration and replace it a couple of times a week on my 3 gallon and my 16 gallon.  I've played with a skimmer on my 16 gallon and it does produce some skimmate, but I don't think I will keep using it.

You can always try it and see how it goes.  It's easy enough to add to your system as you go.

Edit to add:  That's potentially ALOT of water changes, producing a less stable environment.  What size tank and what are you thinking of stocking.

Edited by lutz123

I have a 75g as my main tank but the nano is a 12g.  I was thinking of pair of clowns, 2-3 medium sized rocks, 2 small fish, (dottyback or squirrelfish) a goby and a few snails/crabs. Along with a few softies.  Too much livestock?