Fish health understanding

johnnybv

WAMAS, I have extensive parasite knowledge, and the ability to scrape slim off a fish, put the slime under our high powered microscope, and determine what type of parasites you are dealing with, if any. When Rally and Kick ich are used together properly they are potent! It will not harm your corals, Part of our receiving proceedure for fish is to scrape fish from each batch and determine, if there are any parasites BEFORE they enter our or you systems! All of our fish are also propalactically treated before entering our systems in a 10 min dip of Hyroplex which knocks out everything.

We have developed a very close relationship with the creators of Ruby Reef, and have been using our combined knowledge to develop a few new versions of several of the products to make them even more effective on some of these new parasite morphs that are not being killed by most of the products on the market. One of the creators has a PHD in marine biology, and I have a BS from Florida Tech and completed courses at The University of Georgia school of veterinary medicine for fish health. Not tooting my horn but I think it is important that it is known that the advice we give is not only from education, but from physical trials and examination of fish on a regular basis. Also lots of reading from very well respected sources such as Dr. Ed Noga.

I hope to plan some seminars at the store in the near future to help educate our clients that really want to know what is going on with your fish, what products you should have on hand, and a proven acclimation method that includes a "car wash" of your fish before they enter your tanks. There is way too much information to put into this post, but I have pictures and videos that will blow you away.

Please comment on this thread if this would be something you would be interested in attending, if it were free of charge, and on a Saturday evening after 6 pm, and I set up Finding Nemo to be running for the kids if needed.

thanks

John

Edited by johnnybv

Wow! Too bad I'm in NY...would love to hear some of this...maybe capture some videos of it you can post :) you guys are lucky to have this type of resource and LFS. :)

I hope to plan some seminars at the store in the near future to help educate our clients that really want to know what is going on with your fish, what products you should have on hand....

Please comment on this thread if this would be something you would be interested in attending, if it were free of charge, and on a Saturday evening after 6 pm, and I set up Finding Nemo to be running for the kids if needed.

Sounds great, John! I'd love to sit in on this.

Sent from my phone

I'd be interested in attending and learning something about fish diseases and such.

We've been getting fish from 3 different wholesalers over the last year and we put them into a one month QT system before introducing them to client tanks. Simply holding the fish and feeding them during this period has gone a long way towards reducing the number of casualties. We have upwards of 90% success rate so far.

Courses like this would be excellent.

FWIW I worked with Ed Noga and Greg Lewbart at NCSU's vet school during grad school (watched surgery on $25000 Japanese imported koi!). I even authored a couple of chapters in Lewbart's Invertebrate Medicine book.  If you want further contacts for fish health related topics, I might be able to help down the road.

The vet school used to run an annual fish health course each summer (I taught a section on reef diseases).  I believe that course has not run in a few years due to the associated costs and being down economic years, but if it comes up again, I will pass that info along as well.  The course was worth continuing ed credits.

well it sounds like ther is plenty of interest, I will try to get something together in the next few weeks, all are welcome include other LFS and biologists with experience, just give me a heads up on that last one to make sure we are on the same page

I will start putting together info this week, I have a few contacts to make for some items.  I may even beable to get a "special guest" here to give his thoughts, I will keep you posted.

john

• 4 weeks later...

yes, it is still in the plan just need to figure out when. i will try to make it sooner than later. I need to compile some pictures and videos so you can really see what is going on with your fish, you will be surprised....

• 5 months later...

I am also super interested, it would give me the kick I need to get out that way.