What's your favorite ro/di unit?

is there really a difference in RODI units?

guess im confused on how one could pass water better thru the same filter vs the next?

and an auto flush could be added right?

id love to be wrong, ive had mine for a long time and if there is something that is drastically better that would be nice....

just wish i had higher water pressure to run a second membrane and have less waste water.

not trying to derail but just trying to ask some more questions

I am wondering if the auto flush is worth it, I hope it's not a solenoid that goes bad over time that is a pain to replace.

I want a reliable tds meter on it and I want it to come with the correct flow restricter. The last one I got didn't and I have struggled with it since. Also the hm digital inline meter is the one I had problems with. If anyone knows a different meter that's reliable let me know. Also customer service is a huge plus.

I am trying to get opinions on which kind people have had good experiences with. I need to order a new unit and have one day to research what to get.

I am no adding anything else to the eBay junk I am using now. I want to buy an all in one, ready to hook up and use unit. Money is not an issue.

The differences in units I am wondering about would be how well it's built, coustomer service, and features like auto flush and second di chambers and or second ro filters.

I am not sure why your confused about one passing water through the next, every filter works the same way that is why I bought an eBay unit in the beginning. But everything else was junk. The di chamber, the restricter, the tds meter were all junk or just wrong.

I have a Purely H20 Optima Vision 75GPD unit. It's the only unit I've owned and it works great, getting way more than 75GPD. It has good customer service before and after the purchase. Look for a coupon code on TFT or RC to get a further discount.

From what I've read, flushing doesn't help. This explains why purely h2o gives out their flush kits for free...Just like it has been explained in other threads, you want low micron filters (1 or less), which helps save the RO membrane and gets rid of chloramines w/o an added chloramine stage. You also want an separate, not inline, TDS so you can test tap, after RO and then after DI.

But really..you won't go wrong if you stick w/ the big names....

I bought a rd102 water general from filterdirect.com and have been very pleased.  Very economically priced, free shipping, etc.

(edited)

BRS 5 stage plus is nice.

and this:

Difference between the 50, 75, 100 & 150 GPD membranes?  
The major difference, besides how much water they can make, is the rejection rate. Normally, the lower the GPD volume, the higher the removal rate is.
The 50 and 75 GPD membranes have about the same rejection rate of 97%. The 100 GPD has about a 90% rejection rate. The 150 GPD membrane is a different story. It allows for high volume without a big drop in the rejection rate. It has about a 97% - 99% rejection rate
Edited by BowieReefer84

I have a BRS 4 Stage Plus RO/DI 75GPD unit, and like it a lot.  Keep in mind I have never tried any other brands, and this was my first RO/DI unit.

It has a dual inline TDS meter which has the ability to measure what's coming from the tap, and what the output is.  It also has an automatic shutoff valve that I have paired up with a float valve on my RO water bucket from BRS.  Works great, and avoids any spills.  Just a note - I always make sure to turn the water off after the bucket gets full just in case the float valve fails.

The unit was really easy to set up.  I haven't had to change the DI resin just yet, but it's starting to change color at the bottom.  So ill be doing that soon.  TDS is still measuring 0 after 6 months, even with a separate handheld meter.

I have 3 of the AWI typhoon, and have never had a problem with any of them.  They use easy to replace cartridges and they have great customer service.

I have 3 of the AWI typhoon, and have never had a problem with any of them.  They use easy to replace cartridges and they have great customer service.

ditto ... as for customer service, mine developed a leak after 15-16 months of heavy* use.  What I found was a broken water pressure gauge.  I looked on-line at their parts for a cost/shipping quote but instead found a warranty clause.  I emailed them about the problem and rather than a 'what is your model, system, use, etc etc' reply, I got a 'your part is in the mail - we are very sorry' response!! This pleased me VERY MUCH. Two days later I was back in business.

* I am on a private well with hard water.  I only use one charcoal filter and two cloth/cotton/fiber filters.  I put an auxiliary pump to get more pressure but coupled with the COLD water my output is still not at rated capacity so the system runs a lot to make my water.

Thanks for the quick replies! The second one I thought about was the awi models.

How about me, do you have any links to information about the auto flush kits not helping? I have had really bad experiences with tds creep and such and would like to make sure I get the best unit.

Thanks for the quick replies! The second one I thought about was the awi models.

How about me, do you have any links to information about the auto flush kits not helping? I have had really bad experiences with tds creep and such and would like to make sure I get the best unit.

Here's a thread that will help.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/backwash-rodi-199129.html

There are tons of posts like this so this is just 1 example. Of course, I am taking the word of someone that I don't know but it makes sense to me. You'll have to make the final determination. There's more info out there on the web.

Part of the reason I chose purely h2o is because it came w/ the flush kit for free (and at a good price for 1 micron filters), which made that issue moot for me.

If I were to decide to start again, I would build my own. It should be apparent to you that every company uses the same plastic canisters, the same mounting hardware (basically-but this has no effect on performance) the same plastic water lines, some use slightly better connections, and everything else membranes, filters, tds meters, pressure guages, etc. are all in line products that they themselves add onto the unit.

A RODI unit is seriously the most off the shelf product I have ever seen. 

Keep the canisters you have, keep the mounting hardware, if you want to add a membrane, get a clip on holder from BRS. Buy the BEST membranes and filters for your needs, get proper size flow restrictors, buy the best in line TDS (but I second the handheld option for accuracy's sake), buy the best pressure gauge, replace all your current fittings with John Guest fittings, get some new water lines if you think it's necessary, add a solenoid, whatever. You now have a product that is most likely superior to all of your pre assembled options, for probably less money, since you reused some older parts.

Thanks for the link howaboutme!

Djplus1 that's another good option! But I did that with the other model I have and it works nice but I don't have the time to do it again.

I have several, actually. One in use and the others I've scavenged parts off but will probably rebuild for the community at some time.

My recommendation is a Typhoon III Extreme if you have a larger tank. It produces 150 gpd, and comes with a  pressure gauge, TDS alarm, dual in-line TDS meter and a separate handheld meter. It also comes with the float valve that I originally forgot to order when I got my first Typhoon III years ago. Members get a discount at AWI. Just look for the information in the (Members only) Member Discussion forum where I've pinned the vendor discounts thread.

I have several, actually. One in use and the others I've scavenged parts off but will probably rebuild for the community at some time.

My recommendation is a Typhoon III Extreme if you have a larger tank. It produces 150 gpd,and comes with a pressure gauge, TDS alarm, dual in-line TDS meter and a separate handheld meter. It also comes with the float valve that I originally forgot to order when I got my first Typhoon III years ago. Members get a discount at AWI. Just look for the information in the (Members only) Member Discussion forum where I've pinned the vendor discounts thread.

+1. I have this one and it rocks....

I'd go with one from AWI.   I have a spectra pure unit, but have replaced all the fitlers with AWI filters.  So I am not sure I can say it's a spectrapure anymore.  Frankenstein RODI maybe?  Essentially, I am turning my RODI into a Typhoon by adding the accessories my unit lacks. 

Anyways, the Typhoons have all the bells & whistles you could want.  

Paul, if you go with a Typhoon III Extreme, check out this link for their quarterly specials. You can get the unit for a hair over $250, get free shipping, and an extra handheld TDS meter.

RO/DI systems are pretty simple and basic, just a bunch of housings and pressure vessels hooked up by hoses. I wouldn't look at name brands, just get one that has the stages you need and any add ons like a TDS for a good price.

If it was me I would check out ebay, that's were mine came from over ten years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-USA-6-STAGE-Aquarium-Reef-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-RO-DI-150-GPD-MEMBRANE-/171016896101?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item27d166be65#ht_1288wt_1142

Paul, if you go with a Typhoon III Extreme, check out this link for their quarterly specials. You can get the unit for a hair over $250, get free shipping, and an extra handheld TDS meter.

This is the same one I use. I am very pleased with the quality of the build and the output. I have the two filter guys before this one was worked just as well but the build quality was not as good. And before that I had the water general which also performed just as well. Butin the end the build quality of the typhoon extreme far outdid the others. And it came with all the extras your looking for like handheld tds.

i have had three different units that i have used, first was a Kent marine was nice but back then the blue canisters were not clear so could not see when to change the filters.  Second was a Water General and it too had solid white canisters so i could not see the filters.  i got this when i purshased a tank from a friend.  The third is a AWI typhoon exreme and i really like this system.  you can get the filters easily and they always offer quarterly discounts or have sales, clear canisters so i can see conditions of the filters

I have a old one with different brands parts. Got it cheap when I first dive into this hobby. Pretty happy with it's performance. I did added an auto shutoff system to it for less the $25. Auto shutoff save my butt many time already. Should I need a new one , i would get a used one again ( to me they are all the same).

Buy the cheapest 3 canister plus membrane ro unit that you can find- $50 or less on ebay.

Buy a HM TDS meter, ASOV kit, auto-flush kit, pressure gauge, extra fittings for another $100 or less.

You now have the top of the line best rodi in the world.

Buy the cheapest 3 canister plus membrane ro unit that you can find- $50 or less on ebay.

Buy a HM TDS meter, ASOV kit, auto-flush kit, pressure gauge, extra fittings for another $100 or less.

You now have the top of the line best rodi in the world.

Buyer beware on this idea! When I purchased mine I had no clue what I was doing and a certain website had advertised a 75gpd unit. when it arrived it was a great 3 chamber set up minus a certain vital part the RO membrane. Luckily people on the forums were beyond helpful I was able to buy the extra parts needed with not too much extra cost. But it did suck paying for shipping twice.