monkiboy's 265g build thread

thanks man! seeing your photos in your thread inspired me and motivated me to take some myself as i want to be sure to keep a log of growth on some of them so thanks for posting your sick shots. hopefully someone will join us in our photo taking fun and we can keep it going, haha.

I'm glad! I do it so I can document growth as well, and my build serves almost as a visual diary when I want to go back and see when things were done, how they looked, etc. I also enjoy the challenge of learning how to shoot our reefs! I am waiting for the day you grace us with that FTS with all those amazing fish and now these corals that we are eagerly waiting to see in one frame!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! 

Just to clarify, you bayer dip whether or not you actually see a pest? 

sure thing. as long as it's not a known crazy sensitive species, yes, it'll go through three or four rounds to make sure to catch anything the last round did not. but for example when i picked up a frag of copps' hoeksemai he mentioned how sensitive it was and he wouldn't dip it but would qt. so a piece like that would stay for a longer observational period when i don't feel comfortable dipping it.

Awesome pieces!  Is this tank going to be 99% sps?

right around 94% as i'll have some gorgs, sea fans, and some other interesting things i find along the way i'm sure. but yes, no plans for LPS in this tank. i keep going back and forth on whether making the tank upstairs, a 46g bowfront display, that will be tied into this same system, a seahorse or LPS tank. i'm never a fan of mixed reef tanks as i feel something is always never 100% happy and you end up with two mediocre states of your coral but i would love the movement in a separate tank especially upstairs since more folks might see that and to the non-aquarist LPS is more striking typically. seahorses would be great but i'd be running my chiller to keep temperatures cooler on a 500g system or so and i think i might get bored of them after a while but would be really interesting to showcase as they are rare to have even in our hobby and i'm sure others would get a kick.

what do you guys think i should do with that tank upstairs?

I'm glad! I do it so I can document growth as well, and my build serves almost as a visual diary when I want to go back and see when things were done, how they looked, etc. I also enjoy the challenge of learning how to shoot our reefs! I am waiting for the day you grace us with that FTS with all those amazing fish and now these corals that we are eagerly waiting to see in one frame!

you're telling me - it's tough shooting these shots in the limited space. i always seem to forget i'm not diving in real reefs with my camera, macro lens, and port hole as i always go too deep or the nuts of the port hole get stuck on the edge of the tank or on lighting right as i'm just about to finally snag that darn shot i've been trying to get.

i still have a majority of the coral colonies in qt and only have frags in my system's frag tank some of which are in the photos shared so there isn't much in the tank to see other than fish and some botryocladia occidentalis which branches off into little trees that i've allowed to grow in a few spots. i'll see about getting a shot for you, though!

+1...it's time.

haha, i know..i know!

I would make the upstairs tank an anemone tank.  Same parameters needed as the SPS, but no chance of them walking in the main tank.

funny you mention it, it was a clown and nem (BTA) tank prior to the breakdown and i had all kinds of crazy color morphs. kind of over it. was considering perhaps doing a gig nem tank. could revisit that idea as the challenge would be appealing. would definitely need to incorporate some back up and redundant overflows though!

Do you have any recent picture of your entire tank? I liked your info on how you dip and qt your corals, I think that's really good practice plus not rushing things help you corals get settled in.

Do you have any recent picture of your entire tank? I liked your info on how you dip and qt your corals, I think that's really good practice plus not rushing things help you corals get settled in.

i still have a majority of the coral colonies in qt and only have frags in my system's frag tank some of which are in the photos shared so there isn't much in the tank to see other than fish and some botryocladia occidentalis which branches off into little trees that i've allowed to grow in a few spots. i'll see about getting a shot for you, though!

sure, glad to share. it also prevents parasites from getting in and bothering the fishies. anything wet needs to be qt. learned that lesson through a few members that have had MV and ich ride on plugs or macros  - no bueno.

haha, i know..i know!

Well...if everything is in your QT..maybe a FTS of your QT? Probably will look nicer than many other DTs..haha Impressive routine you've got there.

well how would you quarantine macro algae and inverts, for instance, to prevent MV or something else from riding in on them?  You can't treat that stuff with copper and you can't observe MV being present or not on a snail or plug or macro.

well how would you quarantine macro algae and inverts, for instance, to prevent MV or something else from riding in on them?  You can't treat that stuff with copper and you can't observe MV being present or not on a snail or plug or macro.

So similar to freshwater ich, MV harbors via a Trophont. I presume that like ich, if kept in QT for a period of time without a host, it will die. The treatment is not done through any chemicals or sterilization, but merely time.

stupid windows phone records it's amazing video and quality in some format that youtube doesn't like so it gets compressed into "240p". i tried vimeo and it's slightly better but not by much as all the detail and colors are off - sorry.

i need a dedicated water proof camera for tank vids - next on the list!

Edited by monkiboy

The nicest coral QT tank this side of the Mississippi! Thanks for showing us (aka making us jealous) of all the nice things you're getting ready to put in the DT!

Very nice. Can Wait To see The display.

Well...if everything is in your QT..maybe a FTS of your QT? Probably will look nicer than many other DTs..haha Impressive routine you've got there.

Well...I did say it, right? Wow..very nice, Marcos.

went with the aquarium plants electronic regulator after all the rave reviews and personal recommendations from tony and scott. looks nice and simple.

got a 20lb tank and bought it filled. also bought it from aquarium plants as i wanted a new one and would keep and refill. it was actually cheaper to do so and buying from aquarium plants than getting one around here and paying to fill or exchange and free shipping so i couldn't pass up a new shiny one :rolleyes:

justin/avast will be over tomorrow with the seabones reactor and extra chamber and is going to help me set up my skimmer externally which i'm really excited about to get it out from under the stand and across the fish room. and if time allows maybe we can setup the calcium reactor as well!