monkiboy's 265g build thread

a lot of folks have asked about my setups. rather than try to piece together something from those that i've already got going, i'm putting together a build thread from the beginning of my newest project - my 265g build!

fish list:

- cirrhilabrus scottorum / scott's fairy wrasse pair

- halichoeres ornatissimus / ornate wrasse

- macropharyngodon bipartitus / blue spot leopard trio (one male, two females)

- pseudanthias pulcherrimus / resplendent anthias harem

- macropharyngodon choati / choat's red leopard wrasse 12.18.13 - 1.14.14

- ptereleotris evides / scissortail dartfish trio 12.18

- pygoplites diacanthus / red sea misbar orange regal angelfish 1.30.14

coral list:

- aussie yellow cake (12.10)

- blue tips aussie table

- incredible neon acro

- aussie disalwii crazy (12.17)

- ultimate shortcake

- rainbow fuzz

- yellow blaze

- RM gila monster
- RM e-corals unknown
- RM biohazard

i'll be sure to post up photos and updates as things move along.

at the moment, the tank will be located in my basement next to my existing small fish/maintenance room that is really my heating room.

i will be taking down the wall from the existing fish room to allow for access behind what will be the in-wall 265 setup.

things are just beginning with sizing, getting material, framing, and overall design.

this is where the 265 will go:

20130318_131108_zpsef80f49d.jpg

i've already run electrical with 3 20A circuits to the panel. i also trenched a drain to the area which is the standpipe you see in the photo.

this give you a better idea of the wall we are knocking down to provide access behind the 265:

20130318_131154_zpsfdd1e903.jpg

all the existing filtration will be moved behind the 265. i have not figured out what i want to do for my water reservoirs. i currently have ~35g brute trash cans and i want to make room, somewhere, for at least a 60g RODI for top off, and mixing, and a larger salt water bin. i can likely leave the reservoirs in the heating room once i figure out what shape and size will work.

i am contemplating moving to a tank-less water heater to free up a good bit of real estate in the existing fish room for a larger water reservoir. anybody have one of these care to comment on efficiency, ease of install, etc?

started removing baseboard, and to framing the new wall:

20130318_192050_zpsee385b94.jpg

working on the design of the stand and was anticipating going with a steel built stand to offer maximum space available under the stand without the need for too many vertical supports but didn't like the idea after getting fair estimates knowing that i should be able to come up with a proper solution on my own. decided to go wood and would use some properly sized microlams/LVLs to structurally build a stand like the titanic that would span the 7 feet without vertical supports in the front to allow for maximum ease of use while conducting maintenance or looking to place things. but more on the stand later.

picked up my 265 today which was exciting.

20130321_193426_zps47d4853f.jpg

thankfully the guys already had it loaded on a truck and all i had to do was slide it into the bed of my taco when i got there - easy peezy.

20130321_193437_zps92dd8441.jpg

getting it down from the truck and into my basement will be a completely different story!

i started thinking about how i was going to get this monster into my basement. good time to consider things like that right after you come with it ;)

i figure the easiest will be to enter from the main floor, and get it down my stairs. thankfully my stairwell has a large opening on one side as you make your way to the bottom which will allow for the tank to rotate and enter the basement ... easily?

in doing some prep work for tomorrow's move, i started taking down my railing.

20130321_222120_zps8ff52efe.jpg

20130321_222550_zpsc7d8dace.jpg

like this, i should be able to enter with the tank, place it on the floor, have two or three guys on the stairs supporting the tank, have a drop cloth down with a sheet of plywood and another drop cloth and be able to slowly slide the whole thing downwards until we get to the opening and carry it the 20 or so feet to it's resting spot until the stand is done.

this is what i mean but how it's open on one side of the staircase that will hopefully allow for room for the tank to pivot and rotate nicely without too much back breaking vs having to try and stand it on it's end at the bottom.

20130321_222619_zpsa8d1fb90.jpg

well, that's all for now. i'll be sure to update with photos and videos as progress is made.

thanks for following along!

Edited by monkiboy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used a laminate beam for the stand of my 210. It worked great and requires no verticals along the 6' span. There was someone here who had a big tank going down stairs to the basement. He made a sled for it. IIRC, he even got the guys from the local fire department to help. They did it as part of training with their roping or something like that. Probably could search the build threads and find it if you're interested.

Looks great, man, tagging along.

thanks!

I used a laminate beam for the stand of my 210. It worked great and requires no verticals along the 6' span. There was someone here who had a big tank going down stairs to the basement. He made a sled for it. IIRC, he even got the guys from the local fire department to help. They did it as part of training with their roping or something like that. Probably could search the build threads and find it if you're interested.

great to hear! any photos of the stand build? did you have any vertical supports in the rear for your 6' span? or just the four legs and a microlam front and rear i imagine? just one front and rear? what size legs? i'm thinking of sistering two 2x4"s for each leg and one microlam/lvl front and rear with vertical supports in the rear of the stand up against the wall and none in the front facing the empty room. thanks for your input!

There was someone here who had a big tank going down stairs to the basement. He made a sled for it. IIRC, he even got the guys from the local fire department to help. They did it as part of training with their roping or something like that. Probably could search the build threads and find it if you're interested.

oh, and it's been suggested to get a heavy duty hand-truck and walk it down slowly but i dont think she'll make the last step and turn stood up like that. i like my idea of sliding her down on drop cloths and a sheet of plywood, sledding her down, like you mention. the idea to use rope for redundancy and extra support is a good one that i'll likely utilize. if you come across the thread, let me know.

Well it is about time!!! :laugh: man I fell for that poor little Toyota truck. I wish I was home to assist. I will PM when I am headed home for a weekend visit. Tagging along.

(edited)

Looking great! You're going to need a few very strong men to get that beast down the basement. Best of luck!

i think it'll be alright. i got that old man strength from a very young age, haha. thinking of using my climbing harness and belaying it down from the top of the stairs. good times!

Lmk if you need a hand lifting. I bench press 265g's like 12 times, all day.

dude...cracking me up!

Well it is about time!!! :laugh: man I fell for that poor little Toyota truck. I wish I was home to assist. I will PM when I am headed home for a weekend visit. Tagging along.

psssh, that little truck hauls over 70 sheets of drywall and 15 buckets of compound when we need her too! i love my taco and t100. excited for you to check out next time you're in town! Edited by monkiboy

Those are some BIG sheets of glass! Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

yes sir. i sold my 210 for this one for the height as i really wanted to take as much away from the single main viewing pane that i could. just those six inches from the 24" height to 30" seem staggering - exciting until i probably have to reach to the bottom for maintenance, haha.

Yep, that's why even just a 24" tank seems daunting to me seeing as how I'm... vertically challenged :)

very nice. I used wood "I" beams on my stand for support. Very strong. I also have a hand truck and heavy duty carpet dolly if you need it. If you need to stop by and look at my setup again for ideas, let me know.

I know who I am going to contact for my next build :tongue:

very nice. I used wood "I" beams on my stand for support. Very strong. I also have a hand truck and heavy duty carpet dolly if you need it. If you need to stop by and look at my setup again for ideas, let me know.

I know who I am going to contact for my next build :tongue:

thanks for the offer - i think this one is just going to be good 'ol lifting. there's no room for rotation with a hand-truck and the dolly would only be used for 15 feet if at all and we can just carry it over once it's downstairs.

rigging up the "sled" now and pulled out my climbing gear - this is going to be fun :eek:

Use the force.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Marco, I have a couple of suction cups if you want to use them...

and.....Im headed to Hyattsville on Sunday to drop off my 90gallon setup....so i could meet you somewhere over there.

Marco, I have a couple of suction cups if you want to use them...

thank you, sir for the offer.

i tried them with my last large build a few years ago and they got in the way more so than anything. once we get it up and a firm grip under, we should be good. now, where's my back brace?

(edited)

and.....Im headed to Hyattsville on Sunday to drop off my 90gallon setup....so i could meet you somewhere over there.

oh, this is happening today, sir. she will be down those stairs awaiting her pedestal before lunch...haha

Edited by monkiboy

I've got a single 2x8 under the 6-foot span of my 210/220. I ran beam deflection calculations using a spreadsheet that Chad had passed on to me and found that this was more than sufficient. I've got stand pictures on Photobucket but can't get to it here in the office. Will try to remember to post later.

I've got a single 2x8 under the 6-foot span of my 210/220. I ran beam deflection calculations using a spreadsheet that Chad had passed on to me and found that this was more than sufficient. I've got stand pictures on Photobucket but can't get to it here in the office. Will try to remember to post later.

the stand might be built by tonight depending on how enthused and well fed my dad and i are, haha. i'll shoot you a pm to post them up regardless as it might help someone else. i'm trying to avoid any vertical support in the front of the 7' span completely so hopefully these LVLs will do the job properly. i got a structural engineer buddy of mine stopping by in a bit with a calculator, we should be good :)