monkiboy's 265g build thread

so the plan was to get the tankless water heater installed today. i have a buddy that owns a commercial HVAC design/build company, pierce associates and he sent his superintendent and his best tech out for the install bright and early this morning at 6am. after evaluating the situation and placement to maximize the space for my water change station and in my fish room we are going to have to get a bit creative. more details to come...

awesome news is that the guy doing the install is a divemaster! he's telling me about all his dives all over the world and his tanks and his 2500g outdoor catfish and koi ponds and turtle breeding projects. this guy has all kinds of stories and connections. we spent about an hour just talking fish and about his dives. it's awesome!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was going to ask about frag number 3 too.  Amazing.  I see DaveS's crayola at number 2.  It's a beauty and my favorite pickup from the meeting.  Is the last one one of Tony's tortuosas? 

Do you medicate corals in their own QT?  Seems like you could do it quicker than fish with a dip or two, then into a tank with quick course of interceptor spectrum, then a water change and a course of FWE (maybe with time for any eggs to hatch?), then into the display.

Thanks! All beautiful stuff! Can't wait to see all your acros glued down and a nice FTS.

Wait a second, I just started following your build and am only up to page 7....... two things, one ...I have 29 pages to go!. Two you still have not installed that tankless water heater! I have a little catching up to do.

I just joined (again) in the Fall before the Fall meeting (belonged in 05-07 when we had MACNA in Crystal City then moved and had to break down my tank). I have really enjoyed reading your build thread along with many others while trying to get ideas and make sure I don't mess up what I want to do. So far I have met some really nice and very helpful people. i look forward to when I am able to contribute a build thread.

Wait a second, I just started following your build and am only up to page 7....... two things, one ...I have 29 pages to go!. Two you still have not installed that tankless water heater! I have a little catching up to do.

I just joined (again) in the Fall before the Fall meeting (belonged in 05-07 when we had MACNA in Crystal City then moved and had to break down my tank). I have really enjoyed reading your build thread along with many others while trying to get ideas and make sure I don't mess up what I want to do. So far I have met some really nice and very helpful people. i look forward to when I am able to contribute a build thread.

thanks for following along and posting up your comments. i'm sure we are all glad to have you back and hear about your journey. never too early to start a build thread to receive feedback and get your ideas formed into a plan.

i have an update on the tankless water heater install just haven't had time to post up the details and photos. i'll try to get that up in the next few days.

Nice looking frags what is the name of 4 and 5? 

that is copps' turquoise hoeksemai

Awesome pics and great frags. Love it. 

thanks laura for checkin out my progress. i'll have a tank full like yours in a year or two hopefully!

Fantastic pieces

jaime! where you been dude?! haven't seen your subie around either like i normally do. thanks for stopping by, haha. what's going on with your new set up? i need to stop by and check things out and buy some of your awesome SPS.

Nice pickup. It appears we a shopping at the same candy store these days Sir.

you are right about that one. we're lucky to have so many quality tanks in the member base with such selection!

I was going to ask about frag number 3 too.  Amazing.  I see DaveS's crayola at number 2.  It's a beauty and my favorite pickup from the meeting.  Is the last one one of Tony's tortuosas? 

Do you medicate corals in their own QT?  Seems like you could do it quicker than fish with a dip or two, then into a tank with quick course of interceptor spectrum, then a water change and a course of FWE (maybe with time for any eggs to hatch?), then into the display.

thanks for the ID on number 2, haha. i bought everything a while ago and forgot what i was even getting at the meeting. the last one is from tony, yeah - acropora tortuosa.

depending on the species and whatever advice i get from the person i'm getting the coral from, i may not dip but typically i do. yes they go into their own coral qt tank. the more sensitive frags like copps hoek i did not dip as it wouldn't tolerate it per john's advice when i asked.

jaime! where you been dude?! haven't seen your subie around either like i normally do. thanks for stopping by, haha. what's going on with your new set up? i need to stop by and check things out and buy some of your awesome SPS.

I've been busy as usual. You have some awesome pieces there. I really like the pink/gold one from Piper. Piper has some awesome stuff. I got a bunch of stuff from him and they are all doing great. My tank is doing well. I have some gha that's driving me insane, but other than that the corals are all growing very well. Stop by if you're in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

haven't updated in a while - sorry!

have a few colonies and frags out of qt so took the time to take some photos. these aren't super nice but i'm working on it - i liked these as they came out as very good representations of the coral subject. things are growing pretty quickly and some of the wild colonies are growing very nicely even in qt and adapting to my system great which is exciting.

have lots more to update on system-wise but thought in the interim i'd toss these up while i still had energy to do so. let me know what you think and any feedback is helpful - thanks!

2245a9ca-5688-49cd-8236-f826ec64891a_zps

d882cd4f-59f3-4e97-993d-e40071a2212f_zps

d25f54fc-3d11-45c2-a341-ce20e9558d61_zps

ca81d39a-e717-450f-b07e-bda88667a66e_zps

89669a78-3c85-4bb4-b5ef-f5f887e97dfc_zps

548c5eff-ae71-4b8e-a395-f66dd5668604_zps

28d75a2c-b65c-4b2f-997b-90137dbf6a01_zps

81bc64e2-7299-45be-8a0c-97d35e76946d_zps

ad57ca91-0375-46eb-8b7b-8e9fe59b3495_zps

539a2fa3-b7a0-4043-b3a7-d7e7d8c63f0f_zps

a8dd0016-24f8-4925-9180-aa1eb93dd400_zps

03f5afef-36c0-4ba9-a68f-bcc06b5576fa_zps

3a2a61d9-af28-4cc9-b146-805ee5bfbac3_zps

I'll let you know once I get my jaw off the floor. All that patience is paying off!

Nice polyp extensions.  Do you feed your corals?

thanks - no, i don't feed the corals. i was thinking of trying acropower based on all the rave reviews and respect i have for its creator julian but think i might wait until the tank hits one year old before playing around with different supplements and foods. fish poo seems to be doing really well so far :tongue:

Very prett! Love the clam!

thanks, kim! the clam is one of my favs as i haven't ever seen this distinct coloration of blue with the stark orange contrast. and it's a good 6" already growing quick!

I was going to comment on the polyp extension too. What are you doing to get them out like that? Ive never seen anything close to that.

it's probably just because this is in qt and in the frag tank where there aren't any fish pestering the corals so the polyps can sway and come out and play as much as they want. at night you can see polyps over a cm long extend out from the corallites swaying in the flow which is pretty cool.

Great pictures, love the sticks!!

thank you, sir!

Any comments? Yeah: WOW!

What is your coral QT procedure? 

you're funny, laura. that was my reaction when i saw your tank for the first time. remember, haha?

for coral QT: it depends on the species of acropora and where it came from, etc but usually most everything i get comes in clean but even if qt'd by someone else i trust, i qt for at least four weeks and try to keep temperature elevated around 79-80°. much like with the fish, i don't do anything for the first week or two unless there is an obvious issue going on that requires treatment. this allows the corals to de-stress from their shipment, being fragged, transport, etc. i'll do a bayer dip every three days for four rounds if i know the coral can tolerate it ok which most can. and of course the whole time i'm looking with a jeweler's loupe inspecting the frags and colonies for eggs, parasites, hitchhikers, etc. so far i haven't seen or caught anything other than pods on some plugs and a bristleworm but it also allows some fish parasites if on the corals or plugs to go through the protomont and tomont stages and die without a host which is really important and the elevated temps assist with.

it sounds like a lot after typing it up but once in a rhythm like i'm in now it is very easy to do as long as you're committed and diligence about it all. and of course the benefits are peace of mind. i just don't want to risk one lazy move causing all kinds of issues for a system i've worked so hard on. 

I'll let you know once I get my jaw off the floor. All that patience is paying off!

thanks man! seeing your photos in your thread inspired me and motivated me to take some myself as i want to be sure to keep a log of growth on some of them so thanks for posting your sick shots. hopefully someone will join us in our photo taking fun and we can keep it going, haha.