monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I need it I plan on going the calcium reactor path, any clue on what to do with it, or hoping Justin does ;)?

Might have to talk to you about some of the choices you made and why down the line. New toys are always fun, and you're on the front with new toys my friend!

The nicest coral QT tank this side of the Mississippi! Thanks for showing us (aka making us jealous) of all the nice things you're getting ready to put in the DT!

Some of those look more like small colonies than frags.  Going to be awesome.

^^^^^^^^ THIS.^^^^^^^^^^^

Really sweet. 

Very nice. Can Wait To see The display.

Nice rack!!

Well...I did say it, right? Wow..very nice, Marcos.

thanks guy - i really appreciate the support. it's been a lot of work and time for sure! getting there....eventually! where is there, anyway? :huh:

Very nice looking qt tank. You have some beautiful corals in there. Is that a clam in the back corner?

yep - good eye. i thought i posted a photo of her so pardon the redundancy if i did. here's a better photo of her...

6e3f8e54-9f1f-450b-9311-549ddd939d94_zps

What kind of corals colonies do you have in qt?

they are all acropora right now - some a.efflorescens, a.gemmifera, a. hyachintus, a.millepora, and a.nasuta i think right. not 100% on all of them, though.

When I need it I plan on going the calcium reactor path, any clue on what to do with it, or hoping Justin does ;)?

Might have to talk to you about some of the choices you made and why down the line. New toys are always fun, and you're on the front with new toys my friend!

haha, it's really straightforward but i haven't set one up in over 5 years. most the gear is the same though. the electronic regulatory should make the whole process easier and more reliable.

never did post up the details of the tank-less water heater so since i'm in posting flow tonight let's get that done!

so the heating/utility room that is shared with the fish room is a real mess, the floor looked like poo,  and i just couldn't take it anymore. not only that but the dang water heater was taking up valuable real estate where an excellent water change station set up could go...

dfa0f6d3-0215-41c2-ab4a-740afaa2b4be_zps

...see where i'm going with this?! :ph34r:

so out went the water heater...
5f88db10-a80c-4f30-a7ca-404e02d5c2e2_zps

installed the tank-less water heater at the end of the fish room where it can be easily accessed but is completely out of the way of my future water change/storage station:
6223d092-bbe6-4c65-95f7-f47e2f56aed0_zps

then to focus on that disturbing floor :ohmy: ... time for a clean make over after vacuuming and mopping and scraping...

a1aaba64-d1de-41e9-b348-34e696f126e9_zps

527c5051-8c01-4409-b273-93660d85767b_zps

and ahhhh....much better!

a930d3e9-5159-457b-b579-2d931ecc6f98_zps

and how it currently looks with the two 165g water storage containers waiting to be plumbed:

f2a36d6c-e466-4e3c-859a-148193180dc5_zps

i'm still trying to figure out the most efficient way to design the plumbing but am in the home stretch and should be able to get this done in the next few days. it'll be great to have my genesis reef systems AWC/ATO installed again for automatic water changes and have a lot more water on hand for the expanded QT system's water changes and for emergency purposes. keep an eye out for more updates!

I see you already have the genesis, but take a look at the plumbing I did on my barrels in the diy AWC thread. It's a real treat to be using 1 pump for everything, and just a few valves to make changeovers painless :)

I see you already have the genesis, but take a look at the plumbing I did on my barrels in the diy AWC thread. It's a real treat to be using 1 pump for everything, and just a few valves to make changeovers painless :)

thanks for the comment and i did read your thread on here. that's some great work you've put into that and seems like it'll work great for you!

i really value a completed, tested, supported, well-designed, clean/sexy, and simple solution with multiple levels of redundancies. the genesis reef system is not only my automatic water change system but it's also my automatic top-off, and also my automatic RO/DI fill for my water storage container. it manages all this easy peezy without any input from me, not one valve needs to be closed or opened and it's completely adaptable and comes with triple redundancies. i input how many gallons i want it to change and how often and set it to repeat and i never have to do anything again until it alerts me that there is no salt water and it will add fresh to my salt water bin and wait for me to add salt for it to recommence.

for me, i don't mind spending the money on a system like that and can only find flaw in that it doesn't dispense the salt for me too, haha :tongue: it's probably one of my most favorite toys with the tank so i'm definitely a bit of a "fanboi" but not only is their product exceptional, the customer service is equally impressive.

ah, another flaw i would say is because of the multiple redundancies and goal to keep the cost as low as possible there are up to six float switches. even as a thin-gauge wire...it's wire and it's in the way and the brackets are kind of cumbersome that hold the floats on your water storage containers and in your sump.

thankfully, in working closely with reef genesis and justin and dan from avast we've come up with a terrific solution. i bought a bunch of their pressure switches and newly designed nano magnet mounts and will be reversing the logic on them. it just so happens that the reef keeper connection is the same as the existing connections for the float switches to the main controller of the genesis reef! so now i'll have pressure switches which arguably more reliable and have slim black magnet mounts for mounting beautifully and cleanly and it's all PnP and looks OEM to the original. we're all pretty excited to see it executed!

Edited by monkiboy

Great job with the utility "fish" room floor.  Did they have to make an additional or larger exhaust line for the tankless water heater?

I think its time for a new pic of the tank.  What is the advantage of having an external skimmer?  How much water per week are you planning to change on the dt?

Wow...just wow Marcos....

I can never show my husband this because he always wants stuff to be easier and take up less space,

It looks awesome so far.....can't wait to see everything grow!

Great job with the utility "fish" room floor.  Did they have to make an additional or larger exhaust line for the tankless water heater?

I think its time for a new pic of the tank.  What is the advantage of having an external skimmer?  How much water per week are you planning to change on the dt?

haha, thanks! yes - the tank-less water heater required a new hole to the exterior/outside.

the tank looks abysmal right now - botryocladiahair and hair algae have taken over a few sections of rock and there's only but a few fish in there. the algae isn't invasive and doesn't spread as nutrients are kept in check but would need manual removal to be done with. part of me really wants to clean up the DT but the other wants to leave it there for the eventual members of the fish inventory that will decimate it happily and entertainingly for me. 

advantage of having an external skimmer is usually consistency. and most external skimmers are recirculating. some internal can be as well but usually are not. mine currently as an internal skimmer was not designed as such. the main reason for me, is to simply get the skimmer out of the sump and free up all that space (22"x25x40") to make detritus removal in the sump easy peezy, i can add some more biological filtration via marinepure blocks, and i can then add a second stage of filter socks at the running water level at a smaller micron rating as it cascades down from the existing first two socks. this will take my 40" tall skimmer out from under the stand and across the room where it'll be easier to monitor, keep the avast skimmate superlocker with it not taking up space in the main fish room working area, and where it is easier to maintain.

i don't know my plans on water changes. right now i'm doing about 5% every week but once i start adding a bunch of fish i have that are wrapping up qt and eating nice and enthusiastically my needs will change. i'll have to monitor the ebb and flow and determine what the tank requires at the time. between water changes for the new qt systems and the tank and adding the 46g bow from upstairs to the system, i'll be needing to make a lot of water. even with 2 160g containers i'm entertaining the idea of getting a 275g container and placing it outside above grade, insulating it and blocking it from light, bringing a pipe inside and connecting it to the existing 160g salt water storage container for 435g of salt water storage and 165g of fresh storage. and just have it recirculating from top (275g) to the inside 165g while not in use. not sure yet on that one but would be nice but need to figure out logistics, possible temperature/weather issues, etc.

see? a few simple questions and that's what you get from me, haha! pardon the rant but does feel good to get it out of my head partially and on paper/web to help begin form the ideas and put weight to them.

Edited by monkiboy

Wow...just wow Marcos....

I can never show my husband this because he always wants stuff to be easier and take up less space,

It looks awesome so far.....can't wait to see everything grow!

haha, thanks kim! i'll let you know how the tank-less works out but so far no issues getting satisfyingly very hot water (i have it set to what i think is the max of 120°) for seemingly endless duration on demand.

Marcos- You have done just an amazing job with your entire project. I really enjoy reading the details on how you came up with solutions to make your system redundant, simple, and elegant. I can't wait to see the details (pics) on your ATO / AWC system and how you and Justin came up with a solution. One of my wife's rules for my system is that I don't spend a lot of time with maintenance once I get it up and running so I am able to leave the house!

Edited by DuffyGeos

• 1 month later...

it's been a while and i don't remember if i mentioned it here or not but i am putting together an 80 rimless (48x24x16) frag show-tank that will be right outside the fish room on the left side of the 265 display beyond the entry to the fish room. i dont know what i was thinking that the 40g shallow frag i set up was going to be sufficient in the fish room. in a matter of three weeks i have it pretty well packed with frags an colonies growing out before putting them in the display.

the 48x24 footprint will provide some much needed surface area for more frags and colonies so that i can start adding coral to the display tank. yes, there still isn't a single polyp in the tank but i'm taking it slow! i want every addition to be deliberate and well planned and hopefully the result will be grand.

i need something to put those frags on so i reached out to vanessa and rick again at synergy. i request to have made two identical sweet custom frag racks for me to my specs for the 80.  these would take up a majority of the space but leave six inches front to back and a nice chunk of space on the sides for very large colonies.

not only are they multi-tiered to allow for a variety of light intensities but they are completely modular in that any tier can be removed. the green columns slide through openings in the next tier leaving the tier below it allowed to stand on it's own. so the options are many and i'll keep things very clean and organized and looking great - especially if it's going to essentially be a secondary display outside the fish room, you gotta look the part ;)

a0e07b95-7146-4a09-b9a3-592a61b12d15_zps

1f8b05d6-0feb-4154-b652-b198002054c8_zps

8ffa3628-c472-4c2e-9e1d-2c4e95e90d34_zps

they arrive tomorrow. i filled it up with salt water tonight. i plumbed it a few days ago and was tempted to run it tonight but didn't want to go to bed with a newly running system so opted to wait til morning. pretty darn excited to get it also packed with some gorgeous pieces for grow out.

i have tons of photos of the plumbing and the set up that i need to upload and share and will try to get to that in the next few days. thanks for following along!

Wow, those are sleek. So how many tanks do you have getting plumbed together now? You are going to give the Baltimore aquarium a run for its money.

Marco - Love it! I assume the frag tank going to be on a stand alone system. Where is it going to be in relationship to the front of your DT?

Wow, those are sleek. So how many tanks do you have getting plumbed together now? You are going to give the Baltimore aquarium a run for its money.

um, six! dude, i wish.

Nice work still tagging along.

thanks for following along haywood!

wow......

Pretty pretty pretty!

thanks, girls! it's nice to have some women on here for a difference of opinion  :happy:

Marco - Love it! I assume the frag tank going to be on a stand alone system. Where is it going to be in relationship to the front of your DT?

thanks, sir! yes and no. it's set up to run standalone with it's own sump and system when running in qt for the corals and frag shipments come in isolated from the main system. then when all has been through qt and looking good, i can easily incorporate back into the existing system and take advantage of more automation and a larger volume of water in the total system.

it is about 12' to the left. both face the same direction. the main 265 display is in-wall and the 80 rimless show frag tank is outside the fish room wall (three sides viewable).

hmmm...maybe i should vinyl the back black...

Dang, those things are sah-weet!  With your build, I wouldn't expect anything less.

thanks peter! they turned out great. they arrived today and i have them in already and they fit perfect per my dimensions and look the part for sure!

(edited)

stuff has been growing pretty darn fast and it was time to make some frags. the first of which for the new frag show-tank. unfortunately, a failed timer led to an overextended bayer dip and the frag's colors washed out and you can see the flesh coming off two frags. thankfully two days later, i only lost one frag completely and colors are returning but you can see the washed out colors and damage in the video below from immediately after the dip

Edited by monkiboy