monkiboy's 265g build thread

Marco-  video says private

But the pic of the tank looks awesome!  The dowels look like glow sticks!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is your T-5 bulb combo ? In addition. You may want to order more frag racks I anticipate Coralline growing on those sweet racks. It will give you the option to cycle them for vinegar dips

Vinyl back and white bottom will increase your light. I have noticed double light output in the DSA. May have to raise the lights a little, and it appears that in this enviroment. I have no faded spots on the frags and colonies. 

Vinyl back and white bottom will increase your light. I have noticed double light output in the DSA. May have to raise the lights a little, and it appears that in this enviroment. I have no faded spots on the frags and colonies. 

A vinyl or painted back actually decreases the light in your tank.  http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/5/equipment

Marco-  video says private

But the pic of the tank looks awesome!  The dowels look like glow sticks!

thanks for the heads up. i made it not private so you can see what i was talking about. refresh the page and let me know if you can see it please. thanks.

yeah, under some of the lower wavelength it really allowed the green to POP, haha. it's pretty slick when viewing as a whole tank.

Man that looks SWEET ! Great setup up Marco :clap: but this comes as no suprise.

thanks bud!

What is your T-5 bulb combo ? In addition. You may want to order more frag racks I anticipate Coralline growing on those sweet racks. It will give you the option to cycle them for vinegar dips

i bought a large pile of bulbs from the last reefgeek GB and right now i have all ati in the fixture to see how i like it. five blue plus, two coral plus, and one fiji purple. i have a bunch of KZs i got too that i'll play with down the road. i'm running the recommended grouping per ati's site for a 16000k look.

i was thinking of doing a vinyl back but not for light intensity potential. the tank is only 16" tall and there's only 12" of water to the furthest frag platform so the 8x54w light has no problem. i measure par and i'll be far more than sufficient. i have the fixture 24" above the tank right now, haha. i think a vinyl black back would clean up the look even more but i do have a solid color back wall so it's not too distracting as is. we shall see.

I agree with the black backgroung. That said I was addresing light reflection from the reef floor up. It tends to address the discolored or faded appeareance of the frags underside. Like a tanning booth. Hey what do I know about tanning ???? Mine came natural ! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  

I agree with the black backgroung. That said I was addresing light reflection from the reef floor up. It tends to address the discolored or faded appeareance of the frags underside. Like a tanning booth. Hey what do I know about tanning ???? Mine came natural ! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  

yeah you're right on that. mine too, sir - mine too!

(edited)

Lucky... least you have some pigment. .. haha

Very nice frags. For your tank? Or for sale?

thanks. i don't know. i'll wait and see after a while so they can get their coloration back, polyps out, and growing again.

Edited by monkiboy

What's the really red one three from the right in the back row?  Looks much more saturated in color than the others somehow.

stuff has been growing pretty darn fast and it was time to make some frags. the first of which for the new frag show-tank. unfortunately, a failed timer led to an overextended bayer dip and the frag's colors washed out and you can see the flesh coming off two frags. thankfully two days later, i only lost one frag completely and colors are returning but you can see the washed out colors and damage in the video below from immediately after the dip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjh_5UWJkO

Something is wrong! The frags are not organized by either height, color, or type.........start over.

Something is wrong! The frags are not organized by either height, color, or type.........start over.

LOL :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I love those frag racks, are you using the Deep Blue 30g rimless as your frag tank?

thanks! it's a 80g rimless, 48x24 footprint.

haha, my hands are pruning over from all the qt and frag tank work i've done today over the last five hours....no....more.... for today.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

i really like this piece. the polyp extension is seen in light blue and the body purple - the contrast is exquisite. kind of can tell what i'm talking about in the video.

Edited by monkiboy

Wow, awesome PE. It looks like it's similar to some electric blue milli I have, but with better PE, you're doing something right over there!

Yup, those frags look damaged beyond repair.  Let me know if you need help throwing them all away....... :laugh:

I really like the green corals, great color ;)

The PE is amazing!   I love the way they are swaying in the flow. Great job!

Wow, awesome PE. It looks like it's similar to some electric blue milli I have, but with better PE, you're doing something right over there!

Yup, those frags look damaged beyond repair.  Let me know if you need help throwing them all away....... :laugh:

I see red bugs. You better let me get it.

haha, thanks guys! patience and perseverance...

What kind of salt are you using, and what Alk are you shooting for?  Nice sticks brah!  haha

regular IO salt, sir. what alk? ha! i haven't tested my tank in three or four months so honestly not shooting for anything. i just look at the tanks, fish, and a few canary SPS mini-colonies and they tell me what's up in silent whispers while i sleep. i really dislike testing. as soon as that darn mindstream automated tester dohickey comes out, i will be their first customer. thanks!

speaking of which, i really need to get the avast calcium reactor assembled and running. this week this is my goal!

I really like the green corals, great color ;)

The PE is amazing!   I love the way they are swaying in the flow. Great job!

thank you sir!