monkiboy's 265g build thread

like clock-work, every night, the blue linckias will gather together. it isn't always the same spot but often this is one of their favorite locations for whatever reason. makes for a wonderful display if you sneak a flash photo in:
45cf9078-25be-4a09-ba11-6718c410a071_zps

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are gorgeous. Makes me wish I had sand. 

thanks - yes any type of substrate is best for these guys apparently even though i more often see them in all the nooks and crannies of the cerameco vida rock.

this guy has really taken off in the last month with five or six new branches and some intense yellow and orange saturation. really digging it.

Man, the flow is so strong, it's like a hurricane went through, with all your tilted frags and stuff! haha.

What light are you using over the display now? T5's?

radion g3 pros

Nice PE!!! All my Milli show off as well. As always tagging along.

thanks!

Man, the flow is so strong, it's like a hurricane went through, with all your tilted frags and stuff! haha.

haha, i actually really need to add at least two more mp10s or wp25s to the frag show tank where this guy is in! rarely can have too much flow for dense groups of SPS in a tank.

I finally finished reading through this build and I must say this is very impressive. Your patience and commitment is amazing! So much inspiration in this build. Very nice sir!

I finally finished reading through this build and I must say this is very impressive. Your patience and commitment is amazing! So much inspiration in this build. Very nice sir!

thanks so much for going through it all and commenting. i appreciate it!

getting a ton of frags and colonies accumulating in grow out and its time to get the calcium reactor going for better stability and reliability.

i picked up the sea bones III calcium reactor from avast and their effluent camber III as well a bit ago. it was time to get building. the effluent chamber was done already and was time to tackle the calcium reactor.

1ec22b7c-1704-4f3f-a68f-d6dd8f0f059c_zps

i'm a perfectionist and one of the very first things you have to deal with is this d a m n tacky stringy annoying solvent. o m g, never again. anyone else likely wouldn't have an issue but for someone who has to have things just right, i got frustrated super quick. thankfully i was headed over to justin's from avast already so brought over what i had left to do, and he had me taken care of in a jiffy and the man has the same attention to detail i do which put me at total ease.

going to find the perfect place for the system over the next couple days, order my media, and get it started - pretty excited!

fb96e72f-5b47-49f1-bee0-c50c0ac1c175_zps

what's up with the small pump hanging from the fitting connections?

recirc? Does it need to be bigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm a perfectionist and one of the very first things you have to deal with is this d a m n tacky stringy annoying solvent. o m g, never again.

I used Plastruct Bondene Cement ( http://www.plastruct.com/pages/CementGuide.html) to put my skimmer together and only used the thick stuff to supplement the seam on the body of the skimmer where the joint was a bit large. Bondene is thin, bonds almost instantly and doesn't leave a residue. According to the Safety Data Sheet it has no known ecotoxicity and I have found it safe in my previous tanks. I bought it at my local hobby shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Flieger

Wow! Makes brs dosing look like child's play.

hopefully if i do things right, it'll be as easy to get set up and running without too much fuss. just need to find my extra pH probe and additionaly pm1 for the apex which is likely lost in some abyss in the fish storage closets :wacko:

Now if you have a coral croak it can become new media for the reactor.

i learned from hanging around a few sps vets in the last few years to save all of them so i got nearly a five-gallon bucket full of colonies and frags i've collected from other members and ones that didn't make it in my systems. going to definitely toss some of that in there.

still debating using dolomite. going to post a new thread to see what mixture or media folks use in their calcium reactors. then perhaps open a GB for a bulk buy. :happy:

Very cool! I still have to build my cs1... Thankfully for me I don't think my OCD is as bad as yours,lol

eager to see your results then! i

what's up with the small pump hanging from the fitting connections?

hey rob - thanks for checking out my build. it's a recirculating pump - a sicce syncra 1.5.

recirc? Does it need to be bigger?

yep - recirculating. no need for bigger, plenty of flow for it's intended purpose and use.

I used Plastruct Bondene Cement ( http://www.plastruct.com/pages/CementGuide.html) to put my skimmer together and only used the thick stuff to supplement the seam on the body of the skimmer where the joint was a bit large. Bondene is thin, bonds almost instantly and doesn't leave a residue. According to the Safety Data Sheet it has no known ecotoxicity and I have found it safe in my previous tanks. I bought it at my local hobby shop.

thanks for the tip. although, i don't think i'll ever be building one of these again it may come useful for some future sump builds. thanks for checking out my build thread and posting up!

There is a trick to using the craftics #33 tube. You need to put the small nozzle tip on when you're ready to use it, and the key is to keep it flowing as much as possible. Then when you're done with it for a while, wrap the tip in a paper towel and push out a blob of solvent. This will partially gel around the tip, and when you're ready to use it again, pull the tip out of the blob and it should still run free. It also helps to have a pin handy to free it up if necessary, then push some more solvent out until it runs free again. This will usually eliminate the stringyness problem. So does using weld on #4 but that also takes some practice which is why we don't include it in kits.

There is a trick to using the craftics #33 tube. You need to put the small nozzle tip on when you're ready to use it, and the key is to keep it flowing as much as possible. Then when you're done with it for a while, wrap the tip in a paper towel and push out a blob of solvent. This will partially gel around the tip, and when you're ready to use it again, pull the tip out of the blob and it should still run free. It also helps to have a pin handy to free it up if necessary, then push some more solvent out until it runs free again. This will usually eliminate the stringyness problem. So does using weld on #4 but that also takes some practice which is why we don't include it in kits.

thanks for putting your tips you shared in person, in words on here, for others. i'm eager to get this set up operational!

• 2 weeks later...

regis jr is out of a 6-week quarantine and prophylactic treatment and enjoying the good life in one of the displays with his wrasse and anthias buddies now! he wasn't eating at all when i got him but after two weeks transitioned him off of sponge and clam/mussels to PE mysis (he seems to prefer bigger pieces than that found in hikari) and hikari spirulina brine and black worms.

beautiful fish and huge value add to my tank in terms of aesthetics and movement. i have a few more in quarantine including a juvenile sumatra gray chest that is just starting to peck at mysis free floating and a smaller yellow belly i got from another member on R2R that is eating very nicely and will likely go in the frag show-tank or be put into the 265 display downstairs.

Beautiful, find me a reef safe one?

Beautiful, find me a reef safe one?

nothing is guaranteed but they are one of the safest bets and in a SPS-dominant tank like yours you have little to worry about. let me know dude and i'll hook you up!

very nice!  Most fish can be "reef safe" as long as you keep them fat and happy.  I have had regals in my sps/clam tanks for a very long time.  

like clock-work, every night, the blue linckias will gather together. it isn't always the same spot but often this is one of their favorite locations for whatever reason. makes for a wonderful display if you sneak a flash photo in:

Posted Image

Was reading through, and this post had me laugh, its like they're holding secret meetings...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk