Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

Looking great! Is that a juvenile emperor angel in there?

Thanks, yup...my dream fish.  He's gone from smaller then my flame angel to this size in about a year and is starting the transition to adult colors.  Used to be super timid and only ate clams on the half shell and was scared of his own shadow.  Now he gets in there and grabs nori right after the moorish and desjardini.  He'll be the centerpiece of the tank.  I'll be giving the desjardini back to Jon and Maureen and rehoming the largest blue tang (the yellow bellied one) so that no one bothers him.  

Looks awesome Roni, nice collection of fish and corals!!

Thanks.  I'm happy with the fish though I will be bumping up the small school of chromis to hopefully get about 20-25 total.  The corals are slowly coming back as I get my nutrients under control.  Growth and color is improving, though obviously a long way to go.  

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!  You don't skimp with your coral and fish selections.  One of the best selections I have ever seen.  Everyone looks fat and happy.  You're doing a great job.

Wow!!  You don't skimp with your coral and fish selections.  One of the best selections I have ever seen.  Everyone looks fat and happy.  You're doing a great job.

Thanks, my fish definitely get fed well, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to keep nutrients in check :)  

cool video!

Thanks!  Your build is coming along nicely as well.  

Roni, great meeting you yesterday! I see that you certainly are feeding to keep happy, but it's paying off!

How bout a FTS.

My camera skills are in their infancy.  I'll probably try to take some pics this weekend and will do a FTS then. 

Roni, great meeting you yesterday! I see that you certainly are feeding to keep happy, but it's paying off!

Thanks Isaac, good to meet you as well.  Looking forward to seeing the new tank :)

• 4 weeks later...

Roni,

I have been planning a similar tank and build and was really excited to stumble onto this thread.  I likely won't have mine finished for at least 5 years, but plan on building everything myself along with my kids.  (It will definitely be a long term project!)

I was wondering if you would be willing to go back over some of the main specs for the tank itself.  Where did you have the holes drilled and how large were they?  I saw what your plan was initially, but it looked like you changed some of those specs after deciding to go with the beananimal overflow system.

Your tank, stand, and whole setup look absolutely amazing.  If doing it again, though, is there anything about the build you would change?

Thanks for the kind words.  Tank is on the upswing but still battling nutrient issues.  The overflow ended up being a center with 3 1.5" holes.  I've been pretty happy with the bean animal overflow, though with the tank being in the basement and with how I plumbed it, I have to "burp" the line periodically.

main tank equipment:

BK Supermarin 300 skimmer

Bud Carlson L2 Algal Turf Scrubber (about to be upgraded to L4)

ATI 10 x 80 powermodule

2 Vortech mp60s, 1 Tunze 6155, 1 tunze wavebox

avast kalk reactor, rowaphos and carbon in reactors

2 reeflo pumps (largest ones, gold type), 1 supplying the main tank, the frag tank and a manifold that supplies the ATS, carbon, and rowaphos, the other supplying one of two 57 W UV sterilizers as well as the 70 gallon LPS tank

Things I would change/am in the process of changing:

1) I pulled the sand in the main system in an effort to reduce detritus in the system

2) Upgraded the skimmer and ATS in order to increase nutrient export.  My initial plan would have worked fine for any normal bioload but mine is on the high side

3) I would have planned out my plumbing a little more and used more true union ball valves.  I also would have built my sump differently.  At the time, I bought two used sumps and put them together due to fund availability.  I wish I'd custom built my sump with all the drains going to a central mixing area and a section for fuge/skimmer on one side and return on the other.  This would have aided in detritus removal.

4) I would have done a room behind the tank instead of under if possible (couldn't in my house).  The pump electricity cost would have been less.

5) I would have done my air exchange differently.  I currently have an atmospheric humidistat which is hooked up to a large fan that vents out.  I've realized that it's on continuously right now and probably isn't keeping humidity down as much as I'd like.

6) I would have been more rigorous with qt and done coral qt

7) I would have aquascaped a little more open.  

Good luck with your build and definitely feel free to drop me a note with any questions.  I think I've probably made nearly every mistake possible so I can at least tell you what not to do :)

Not the best pic but had a cell phone pic from a few weeks ago.

20130726_173422_zps7c5c35ef.jpg

Got a pair of blueline angels in and have been trying to get them eating.  After 4 days, the larger one finally gave in and ate live blackworms and some live brine.  Hoping the smaller one will start eating as well.  If all goes well, my tank will almost be finished in terms of fish.  

Roni - It looks amazing. So, so nice!!!

Thanks Ryan...are you getting back in? 

its.....soooo.....pretty!

lots of color and movement...love all the fish and your rockwork!

the montipora to the right of the middle of the tank is so bright :)

Thanks!  I love the color of that cap but it grows too fast.  I'm growing out the reeftech cap out and will eventually replace the monti cap with it, since it grows a little slower.  

looking great! What are the last fish on your list?

Thanks!  Last fish are:

pair of orange spot filefish

p. dutoiti

cleaner wrasse

multibarred angel

possibly a pair/trio of scott's wrasses or rhomboids.

possibly a pair of bluejaw triggers 

possibly another harem of anthias (thinking lyretail)

Though, I do find it hard to say no to fish so I'm sure other fish will sneak in.  Still, I'm already overstocked compared to anyone other then copps, who still makes my tank look barren...

Looks awesome Roni!!

Barring some disaster, I'll see if I can get the camera out and take some better pictures.  My photographer (Jon Lazar) has moved away so high quality pics will be few and far between.  

Tank looks amazing.

My photographer (Jon Lazar) has moved away so high quality pics will be few and far between.  

Got some fish from Jon, and before I did I stalked his build. He takes great photos, that is a sad loss for you :tongue:

Thanks Isaac.  Appreciate the kind words.

So, anyone ever feed live mussels or live little neck clams?  As simple as breaking open the shell and tossing in?  I know paul b likes to freeze them and then cut off slivers for his fish but I figure live will be even more enticing to elicit a feeding response for my recalcitrant blueline angel.  

No luck with the little neck clams or mussels.  The fish in the display loved the treat (and my 3 year old enjoyed breaking shells with a hammer) but the two bluelines didn't give a 2nd look.  At least one of them is eating blackworms now.  I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow. 

May want to grab an oyster or 2, slice it up n the half shell and see how that works...maybe throw sme selecon or garlic juice on it?

Try soaking food in selcon.  Or using freeze dried cyclopeeze dust to trigger feeding response. 

Goodluck.  Tank is looking great.

I soaked the original offerings of food in selcon and garlic but didn't with the live foods.  Mike, any reason not to use frozen cyclopeeze?  I've got both frozen and freeze dried but would think the frozen would be better.  

Thanks for the kind words.  Looking forward to seeing your tank up again :)