Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, Roni. I was so focused on the shrooms I didn;t mention how fabulous everything looks. Everything looks amazing. Where on earth did you find a trio of Regals??? The one pictured looks great. Very healthy. What are they eating? Do you have any LPS? How are thei behaving with the LPS and other corals?

That anemone is also amazing. I thought it was some type of stony coral because of the way it appears to branch out. Everything looks so happy and healthy. Great work!!

Hey, are you zapping that tank every now with some rays? LOL!!!

Tank looks great Roni! Nice new additions.

Thanks Frank!

I'm sorry, Roni. I was so focused on the shrooms I didn;t mention how fabulous everything looks. Everything looks amazing. Where on earth did you find a trio of Regals??? The one pictured looks great. Very healthy. What are they eating? Do you have any LPS? How are thei behaving with the LPS and other corals?

That anemone is also amazing. I thought it was some type of stony coral because of the way it appears to branch out. Everything looks so happy and healthy. Great work!!

Hey, are you zapping that tank every now with some rays? LOL!!!

Thanks for the kind comments Jan, the mushrooms were originally sold as "jawbreakers" They are not. The nice thing though is that they are slow growing and not prone to budding off, which is the only reason they're staying in the tank. I remember too many times when mushrooms would take over tanks in the past.

Those pics are actually of the three different regals. They look pretty similar other then one is about 4". Interesting story about the trio.

I had been looking for a long time to replace my daughter's regal. After a bunch of false starts, finally got the heads up on a marshall island specimen that was eating pellets at Pacific Island Aquatics. Got him in and he suffered a mouth injury in shipping but still took to pellets well. At the same time, picked up the imperator and PBT from quantum and after QT, all three were cohabiting in my frag tank without any issues. About a week after I got that regal, I got an offer from Johnny at BRK to rehome his pair of regals, which he'd had for about 4 years in his home system. Suddenly I had more regals possible then I'd planned. After discussing everything with a couple guys on reefcentral and copps, I'd decided to keep the pair and just hold the single until I knew the pair were okay and then sell it.

I divided the frag tank to separate off the pair and then added them. After a lot of aggression from the larger of the pair towards the lone regal across the screen, everyone seemed okay. The next morning, I went to check on everyone before heading to work. When I looked in, I couldn't find the smaller of the pair. I was pretty frantic until I saw that the smaller regal was swimming with the lone ranger from before. It had somehow slipped through a crack and gotten to the other side of the eggcrate! The larger of the pair was not happy being on the side of the eggcrate by himself. After getting home, I figured I'd see what would happen with all three together. After an initial display, the three have peacefully coexisted since. They aren't a true trio in the sense that they don't swim tightly together but usually you can find 2 of the 3 hanging out together. I haven't seen any aggression and haven't noticed any nipping in my tank. I do feed way too much which may influence that. I don't have a lot of lps but do still have a 15-18" elegance as well as a torch and a couple of chalices.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

So, I've been bad about updating the thread.  

After a lot of neglect, I've slowly gotten back into semi regular maintenance, including cleaning the 70 gallon LPS tank out of bubble algae and reaquascaping it.

Thanks for quantum reefs, I was also able to add a spectacular ritteri as well as a trio of flameback angels and a pair of dragonface pipefish to the 70. 

A couple pics of the rescaped 70:

IMG_3246_zps97b05465.jpg

bb1d0b61-186b-4cd8-a96c-e6fdc56f58a0_zps

My loving wife and daughter also got me a great Father's Day present, which arrived today.  Any guesses?

My cat likes it:

20130620_173044_zps2e3d0c69.jpg

Not be outdone, my daughter also posed:

20130620_173052_zpsc17718a6.jpg

Edited by roni

No guesses, BUT...  that ritteri is gorgeous! An awesome addition!  

A giant skimmer and collection cup?

Pretty close :)

No guesses, BUT...  that ritteri is gorgeous! An awesome addition!  

Thanks, really a huge shout out to Vince and Steve.  I told them I was looking about a year ago and low and behold, they get one at the opening.  There were two in the batch but I'm not sure if someone in Wamas got the other or not.  

Looks great Roni, what kind of lights do you have over the 70?

Thanks!  It's an ATI sunpower 6 x 24 W modded with LED moonlights.  Really nice color, though it looks overly blue in my pics.  Much more of a white color.  

(edited)

So, Mike guessed right.   The new skimmer is a beast.  My last skimmer put out skimmate but this one is probably better suited for the size of the system and the amount I feed.

Jeremy at Premium Aquatics hooked me up with a great deal on a "scratch and dent" model that I couldn't refuse.  

Within minutes of being setup:

20130625_150751_zps6989037c.jpg

Less then 24 hours later:

20130626_221019_zps701ae0a7.jpg
Edited by roni

Nice!

thanks

Is that a red dragon pump w/ recirculating skimmer?  That's a ton of skimmate for 24 hours.

It's a little frightening to be honest.  The XP SRO 5000 was a great skimmer but you can tell the difference immediately.  My nitrates have run at zero with P04 at 0.1.  I'm guessing I'll be able to stop chaeto and rowa soon.  

wow, that skimmer is a beast. what model is that?

Thanks, it's a Supermarin 300, with dual RD pumps (2000 and slaved 1500).  I actually hooked up the flow for the RD2000 incorrectly so need to adjust it a little but it was essentially setup and forget so far.  

(edited)

Thanks guys.   Looks like I had the air injecting too much so tuned that a little.  Hopefully it doesn't keep putting out quite so much.   It's a little worrisome that I had that much organic material waiting to be skimmed out, since my measurable parameters weren't that bad.

Also had a few new fish additions and will try to get the camera out and actually take some pics this weekend.  

Edited by roni

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Trying to learn to take better pics.  Sadly these are the best of about 30 pics ;)

IMG_3272_zps397cbcf1.jpg

IMG_3271_zpsb7ccca74.jpg

IMG_3269_zps9b5da854.jpg

IMG_3268_zps63a4a231.jpg

IMG_3267_zpsc8b3ebf8.jpg

IMG_3266_zps00b81e80.jpg

IMG_3265_zpsf365e816.jpg

IMG_3263_zps21d4210b.jpg

IMG_3262_zps74628cda.jpg

IMG_3261_zpsaa29c7aa.jpg

IMG_3260_zpsd8cab287.jpg

IMG_3258_zps3baa0a8b.jpg

IMG_3257_zps0f149aba.jpg

IMG_3256_zps913901f9.jpg

IMG_3255_zpsae5fa70f.jpg

IMG_3254_zpseb093e14.jpg

Edited by roni

I love that last clown pic photo!

Thanks!  I liked that one too :)

neato photots. have you tired a porthole to get those through the water shots?

hows the skimmer working - still top stuff?

I'm not allowed to use the porthole anymore since I accidently dipped my wife's lens in the water and killed it ;(  Skimmer is doing well, though thankfully slowing down a little.  

Nice!

Thanks!  

We need a fts sir

My photography skills are lacking but I did shoot a video as well, which is a little better.  Took all night to upload to photobucket :)  

th_20130718_205857_zps12a9744c.jpg