Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Success :)  Finally went for the live blackworms and the larger blueline took a couple bits of live little neck clam.  No go on anything else but now that they are eating something, it shouldn't be hard to eventually get them over to frozen and flake.  

haven't tried the nutramar ova but I've heard good things.   I'll have to try it.  

Picked up the frozen cyclo from jhemco as well as what seems like a lifetime supply of pe mysis :)

You are king of feeding. I'm going to turn to you for advice when I have all the fish I really want stocked. I usually mix a bit of everything I have to feed into a shot glass and let the tank have at it. Did you just shuck a clam and throw it in?

Ha, that's only because I feed too much.  For the little neck clams, I didn't get a feeding response when I first tried them yesterday.  Last night I tried smallreef and mike's suggestions of soaking in selcon and garlic (basically put the live clams in the food mix I feed the main tank for about 2-3 minutes) and then fed.  I also broke up about 6-7 mussels and hand fed some of the LPS/anemones and then let the extra get consumed by the fish.  My moorish idol and desjardini tang each inhaled half a mussel without hesitation.

For the blackworms, I just let them warm up to room temp to get them more active and the put in about 5-10 per side of the frag tank at a time.  They die pretty quickly in salt water so I find that you have to feed slowly and make sure they get consumed (though I've been broadcast feeding in this tank to get the angels to notice).  In the display, I usually dump in 50-60 at a time.  Rarely lasts more then 30 sec.  

What is broadcast feeding?

basically, I have pretty aggressive eaters so I make sure to feed a ton at a time, so the less aggressive guys get enough food, instead of target feeding each fish.  everything is still consumed withing about 5 minutes though.

You can buy frozen blackworms as well once you ween them off live.

I didn't realize they were sold frozen.  Where did you see them sold?  I've seen frozen bloodworms but not blackworms.

I meant freeze dried (and bloodworms)... oops

With that said here are freeze dried black worms for discus:

http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-Dried-Australian-Blackworms-The-Original_c6.htm

No worries.  For some reason (probably going back to my freshwater days), I have a negative bias towards bloodworms.  Now that they are eating, I think it's only a matter of time until they eat everything.

My juvenile imperator only hate live mussels in QT with Quantum for 3 weeks.  Took another 2 weeks to eat anything else while in my frag tank and then tried pellets after seeing my regal eat them.  Now, he/she has doubled in size over the last 6 months and eats everything, including nori.

I do think that fish learn from watching other fish so I'm optimistic that the angels will learn from the copperband that's also in there.    

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Come on Roni, quit keeping us in suspense. 

Yeah! +1 again!

(edited)

Lol.  Okay, shot a quick video with my phone.  Pardon the tank.  It's basically been on cruise control with a new baby on the way and things being crazy at work.  Still, finally have many of the fish back in.  My regal is still hanging out in the frag tank since he doesn't recognize anything but mussels.

th_20140319_183136_zps25a704ff.jpg

Edited by roni

Wow! Looks amazing, thanks for the quick reply!

Cruise control, yeah right, looks awesome!!

Thanks!

Cruise control, yeah right, looks awesome!!

Thanks!  It really is though.  add kalk weekly, clean skimmer, clean ATS.  feed a lot daily.  Occasional water change to get detritus out of sump and frag tank.  I've been feeding a crazy amount to the frag tank to get this regal to eat without success.  Haven't checked any water parameters in about 2 months. 

Wow...and that is some flow!

Thanks!  Need to get my tunze cleaned to up the flow a little more. A little stagnant towards the bottom.

my neck hurts, but the tank looks great.  The bare bottom is working for you...

Thanks, lol.  sorry.  Realized halfway through that sideways made more sense.  I'm hoping that once I have time to get the p04 under control that I can get some sand back in.  Miss having a SSB from an aesthetic perspective. 

Fantastic. and that is some fiendish flow!   

But you ops and softies seem to like it...

I am now wondering if I should dramatically increase my flow.  anyone else run flow that high? 

Fantastic. and that is some fiendish flow!   

But you ops and softies seem to like it...

I am now wondering if I should dramatically increase my flow.  anyone else run flow that high? 

Thanks!  I actually had more lps in there but my imperator and moorish like to nip, so it's been decreased. FYI, my purple goni liked it better in the high flow then in my much lower flow lps tank.  I also keep most of the LPS in relatively sheltered little coves.  

Wow, tank looks great! What PO4 problem? All of your corals have nice color and your SPS colonies are huge! Thanks for the update.

Wow, tank looks great! What PO4 problem? All of your corals have nice color and your SPS colonies are huge! Thanks for the update.

Thanks.  My p04 runs in the 0.1-0.3 range.  It's high by any standard, though I haven't checked in about 2 months.  

looks fantastic!!!!!!!

wow on that flow lol....and you want to add more?! :)

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Thanks.  More flow = better for me imo.  The slow flow areas get patchs of red slime.

So, my tank had bubbles in it yesterday and when I got home to check, turns out my davy jones locker didn't shut down my skimmer.  Checked the locker, which looked fine and then noticed my apex is dead.  Not a single blinking light on the main unit or display.  Pretty annoying.  I sent neptune a message and we'll see what they do.  With everything going on, I may end up being stuck buying another base computer.  I've become increasingly dependent on the apex and it now runs too many things to go without it long.