5-reasons-not-to-buy-japanese-corals

If you cannot legaly import a coral from Japan to the USA why would anyone think its ok to get a coral from Japan because someone bent the rules which is legal? Its like going to a message palor and paying for a message and getting something extra when you expect it. Well if you didnt necessary pay for the extra "message" does it make it legal? No its not and you would go to jail if you caught.

Uhhhhhh Wut?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I just got off the phone with Inspector Aziz of the US Fish and Wildlife Service at the Valley Stream, NY office.

I was told that it is the stony corals that are the real issue, not zoanthids.

Inspector Aziz, said that as long as the specific zoanthid was not on a list that Japan is not letting leave the country, there should be no issue with getting them into the U.S.

I was told that the base that the zoos are mounted will make a difference though. if they are sent mounted on rock, it would have to be checked out to make sure it didn't have any type of stony corals also growing on it. If the mounting was on a man made disc, then there was no issue.

I was given instructions on how to apply for an import permit and was told that there would be a permitfee of about $145 each shipment.

Edited by Noobalicious

I find him tiresome. You try to plan an event, and all he wants to do is invade Mongolia.

So that's why Chip keeps losing at Risk ... you never can hold Asia!

... and you guys thought we planned things and got work done at our officers "meetings" ;)

I have been searching and I can't find anything other then what was posted on Glassbox and what "SuperUserAccount" posted on MASNA. Has anyone else found anything?

And, even then, what MASNA posted was a direct feed from Glass-Box (so it's not a second source). Notice where the "Read More" links to in the MASNA story goes, it's directly to GB. For this reason, I wouldn't exactly consider the MASNA page as an endorsement for the Glass-Box story. It's just linked the story and given it a wider audience.

So, I just got off the phone with Inspector Aziz of the US Fish and Wildlife Service at the Valley Stream, NY office.

I was told that it is the stony corals that are the real issue, not zoanthids.

Inspector Aziz, said that as long as the specific zoanthid was not on a list that Japan is not letting leave the country, there should be no issue with getting them into the U.S.

I was told that the base that the zoos are mounted will make a difference though. if they are sent mounted on rock, it would have to be checked out to make sure it didn't have any type of stony corals also growing on it. If the mounting was on a man made disc, then there was no issue.

I was given instructions on how to apply for an import permit and was told that there would be a permitfee of about $145 each shipment.

Thanks, Noob. That's helpful. I also find it curious that Aziz said that as long as it "was not on a list that Japan is not letting leave the country..." as it seems to imply that Japan is letting some corals leave the country. Interesting....

Its like going to a massage palor and paying for a massage and getting something extra when you expect it. Well if you didnt necessary pay for the extra "massage" does it make it legal? No its not and you would go to jail if you caught.

I like the way you think.

does anyone want to go and get a happy ending after buying some JDM Acans...

Thanks, Noob. That's helpful. I also find it curious that Aziz said that as long as it "was not on a list that Japan is not letting leave the country..." as it seems to imply that Japan is letting some corals leave the country. Interesting....

If you google "japanese zoanthids" there appears to be a lot of online vendors selling them. It appears they are not an illegal coral as Noob confirmed.

It would be nice to see a list compiled of what exactly is and isn't legal.

So... after reading through three pages of posts - it appears in the end that it MAY be legal to export SOME types of corals from Japan, including zoanthids. And the corals we have seen for sale MAY actually be Japanese, or the importer MAY have just added that name to them to make them more marketable.

And there would appear to be NO evidence that any LFS either mis-labeled them to purposely mislead people, OR illegally imported anything.

I hereby apologize on behalf of anyone who MAY have cast aspersions on any of our local vendors before having all the facts...

bob

On a note of further incorrectness, Colonel Sanders was a Colonel. He just wasn't a U.S. Army Colonel. He was awarded the honorary title of "Kentucky Colonel" given by that Commonwealth's Governor. An honorary practice that continues today.

and while on Colonel Sanders... He was not a Kentucky native, he was born in Indiana :)

Bob, did you find a list of legally exported corals from Japan? I would be interested in seeing it if you did. Thanks!

(edited)

Not one for topics like this, but sounds like much ado about nothing. Smarten up fellas. Think about it.

Edited by Saltwaterworx

Not one for topics like this, but sounds like much ado about nothing. Smarten up fellas.

Is very basic, if they are illegal, than LFS should not be selling them, let alone able to get them. WE all know if you know the right people, and are prepared to pay the price you can get just about anything into our country. And who is going to police LFS to see what they are selling and how can the feds identify it and say its japanese, they would really have to be up on their corals. I would only assume that they actually came out of waters just ouside japan, just as aussie corals are not comming from the great barrier reef, the are coming from nearby waters. The terms Japanese, Deep water etc are just new ways to get collectors excited, and allow LFS to move some stuff.

Not one for topics like this, but sounds like much ado about nothing. Smarten up fellas. Think about it.

I see you are new to the board. You have to understand when Mrcoral is mentioned it always becomes a big deal!!

(edited)

That's because you are ripping us off with your freebies, fragging up corals when you should let them sit in your store until you can sell the whole colony, and now selling illegal corals. I also have it on good authority that you are single-handedly responsible for global warming. rolleyes.gif

Edited by sdah0414

After Noob posted that he contacted USFW, I decided to ask them also if it is illegal or legal to sell Japanese corals. They told me that if it is attached to the rock, then it is covered under CITES appendix 2 for Scleractinia spp. This is why you see so many corals without rock bases at wholesalers, LFS, etc. No rock base= legal. Rock base= illegal.

Here's a quote from the Arlington office about Japanese stony corals-

"As stated previously, stony corals could potentially be legally imported into the United States from Japan, provided that for each particular shipment, applicable Japanese law, CITES, U.S. import/export license, U.S. declaration and U.S. designated port requirements were met."

It would appear that the Glassbox and MASNA sites might be wrong.

Is very basic, if they are illegal, than LFS should not be selling them, let alone able to get them. WE all know if you know the right people, and are prepared to pay the price you can get just about anything into our country. And who is going to police LFS to see what they are selling and how can the feds identify it and say its japanese, they would really have to be up on their corals. I would only assume that they actually came out of waters just ouside japan, just as aussie corals are not comming from the great barrier reef, the are coming from nearby waters. The terms Japanese, Deep water etc are just new ways to get collectors excited, and allow LFS to move some stuff.

Yes... and I think 'paying the price' to purposely import illegal Japanese corals would probably 'break the bank' for most of our local coral stores and coral addicts. You sure wouldn't then be turning around and selling them for cheap.

bob

and while on Colonel Sanders... He was not a Kentucky native, he was born in Indiana :)

Bob, did you find a list of legally exported corals from Japan? I would be interested in seeing it if you did. Thanks!

No - but I do eat chicken.

bob

i'm all out of popcorn.... :clap:

It seems we all like fried chicken, chinese food, and popcorn... haha :) That sounds like the start to a heck of a party!!!

Wow, when I started reading this I thought it was going to be one of those never ending debates again. It's kinda sad, it was keeping me entertain for a bit, oh well I guess now I can go find a KFC and a Chinese restuarant, I'm hungry for some reason.

Good to see Mr.Coral was vindicated it seems.