MACNA 2015- Time to Sign Up and Volunteer!

DaveS

I know it's an incredible amount of work to organize and put this on. Where is WAMAS with the volunteer schedule / list and do you ned help with it? I ask because we're just a few weeks away and I'm sure, like myself, people need to give notice to take off. Do we have an ETA for organizing the days prior at a minimum? I'm happy to help with volunteer scheduling.

Thanks for asking, click here.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, this thread just loaded way more for me, Mr. Bee, see that this has been tackled already.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a dress code for volunteers?  Jeans? Khaki's?  

Volunteers will get swank red t-shirts, so something that doesn't smell bad and will go well with red shirts. 8)

If we are scheduled to volunteer is there a certain meeting area and a sign in sheet?  Getting excited to volunteer for a great event.  This is my first MACNA!!!!

Yeah was wondering the same thing, my first shift is Saturday morning so I wanted to make sure I knew everything I needed to

Moved.

For others: I posted possible overnight alternatives to onsite parking on the MACNA website. If you're not staying overnight, then try one of the Metrorail alternatives along the Western side of the Red Line like Grosvenor, White Flint, Twinbrook, Rockville, or Shady Grove. Metro parking is very affordable (about $5/day). I have a Metrorail map here that also maps out the location of the hotel. Use the Woodley Park stop.

if anyone is interested, I live very close to Grovesnor & White flint metro.  I can coordinate giving rides or anything to help.

Isaac will be sitting at a volunteer checkin desk at the start of every shift. You should check in with him and out with him.

Isaac will be sitting at a volunteer checkin desk at the start of every shift. You should check in with him and out with him.

How is the tattoo of the schedule on his back coming? Almost healed?

I'm driving in every day, where's the best place to park that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

The hotel has daily parking, no overnight, for $19. Other options and discount codes are listed here http://macnaconference.org/2015/travel/car-airport-shuttle-discounts/ Edited by Squishie89

Thanks to everybody for your patience. We are working this evening on getting things finalized with all the information for you. Don't worry, we will make sure you have everything you need to know. This is going to be a great event, and we are super thankful for everybody who is volunteering, standby for just a little bit longer!

I'm driving in every day, where's the best place to park that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

There is also street parking in the neighborhoods, but you have to find open spots :cool:

There is also street parking in the neighborhoods, but you have to find open spots :cool:

This is a bit loaded. It's all zoned parking. i believe on Saturday and Sunday they may not have zone restrictions (there are no time limits enforced on Sundays at meters, I'm sure). Wed - Fri there are definitely zone restrictions and in that neighborhood it is at least likely they run until either 8pm or 10pm. I would not count on parking in the neighborhoods.

If you're coming from the east side, there is a parking garage at the Rhode Island Ave metro where you can probably get a spot esp on the weekends. I'm not sure how capacity is on the weekdays there. Otherwise, check around for other garages in the central business district. You may be able to get a spot down there for ~$25/day which is certainly less than $41/day. But either way you'll have to either use MetroRail or MetroBus to get up to the hotel.

Also you better be extremely good at parallel parking and have a small car. That neighborhood is very tight and a spot that's 16'-17' long would be considered large.

OK WAMAS!

So you have your volunteer shifts, I've confirmed with just about all of you on exactly what you will be doing, and when you will be doing it. If you still have any questions about this, LET ME KNOW NOW!

Whether you are an attendee or volunteering, you should download the MACNA app.  It will help you stay on top of everything for the show.  You can download them here: 

For iPhone.
For Android.

The event, as I'm sure you all know, is at the Marriot at Wardman Park. If you are not staying there (and even if you are) parking is expensive. My advice is to take the metro. Here is a map.

Please plan in advance how long it will take you to get on site, and be prepared to arrive 15 minutes early for your shift. If your shift starts at 7am, please be there by 6:45am. You will report to the Volunteer Lounge, which will be located in the front of the atrium, on the left hand side. For those of you using the app, you can see the map there. Here is also a picture, for your convenience. 

lobby_zps2vnznu8q.png

When you check in, I will be providing you with your volunteer T-shirt (if checking in for the first time), and directions on where to go and who to meet with depending on your shift.There is no official uniform, other than the shirt we are providing to you as a volunteer, but I would suggest jeans or shorts if you will be working outside or possibly working up a sweat (feel free to bring a change of clothes if you wish). 

As you are wrapping up your shift, please wait until your relief arrives.  If they are running late, please keep doing your role until relieved.  We will try to keep things on track as best as we can.  When you are relieved, please come to the volunteer lounge and check out with me. I will be at the volunteer lounge half an hour before check in, and half an hour after, for each block shift for check in and check out.  Once you check out, I can provide you with whatever compensation you are eligible for based on the number of shifts worked so far.  Please make sure you receive any compensation at check out.  I have 100+ volunteers to keep track of so if you don't let me issue you the correct compensation or record your shift at checkout, I won't be able to do it later and you will miss out.

If you are a floater, you will still check in with me so I can see where to send you as needed. Please make sure your phone is fully charged, and you have provided me with your number. If we don't need you right away, you can roam the conference for a little bit but we need you ready to come back for a task when the need arises.  If you do not answer your phone when I need you, I might not be able to account for your rewards!  Please be prepared to work a task during your whole shift as there will be places which floaters are need.  As with everyone else, please come and check out at the end of your shift.

At this time we only have 1 T-shirt per volunteer.  Some of you are helping out on multiple days so I encourage you to bring another shirt to change into when you are done volunteering.  This will help keep your volunteer shirt clean for the next day.

Following shortly will be the updated Volunteer Schedule (it is too large to attach to the forum.) Green means that you've confirmed you can do your shift(s.) Yellow means you are going to be late, but you are coming for those shifts. If you do not have a color over your name, and you are scheduled, that means you have not told me you can work what is assigned, and I need you to do so immediately! 

I look forward to working with all of you, and putting on a great MACNA 2015!

Can anyone give me an idea of about how many people are expecting at MACNA?

I am curious. I know lots of things are sold out.

thank

Can anyone give me an idea of about how many people are expecting at MACNA?

I am curious. I know lots of things are sold out.

thank

2000 people. Really.

I just wanted to thank all the WAMAS BOD and staff that spent tireless hours putting MACNA together.  This was my first MACNA and my really first time with spending any time with WAMAS members.  I have been a member for about two years and the meetings are a little far from me and do not make many.  

I met a lot of great members and enjoyed volunteering for the week.  Thanks again.

I just wanted to thank all the WAMAS BOD and staff that spent tireless hours putting MACNA together.  This was my first MACNA and my really first time with spending any time with WAMAS members.  I have been a member for about two years and the meetings are a little far from me and do not make many.  

I met a lot of great members and enjoyed volunteering for the week.  Thanks again.

Cynthia, is that you with the 3 hour drive?  

Hope you guys got the stand home OK.  It was a pleasure working with you.  Wish you guys were closer and could be at more meetings.

2000 people. Really.

Ended up being about 3-400 more than that, plus exhibitors.  Way more single day passes than I expected.  Dave Sun did a great job keeping us all on task under the onslaught.