Volunteer Coordinator Updates

YHSublime

Was just at this hotel last night and this morning.  Very nice venue, large hotel with it's own full service and outstanding coffee shop, restaurants and meeting rooms.  Woodley park zoo (red line) metro stop is one block away.

converting the metro escalator into a nice marine waterfall would be awesome eye-catching addition if the organizers are looking for a small last minute idea.

getting excited - wish I had more time to spend at MACNA.

is there a place on here that all this info is posted? A list of who's in charge on what? My life, probably like yours, is in such turmoil w a busy job, etc., that I am not on here as much as I'd like. Some of my questions include:

1. is there a command center where we meet each day to confirm assignments, pick up details, etc.?

2. If I am volunteering for 4 days do I also need to purchase a 4 day pass for the show?  

3. I just saw the part about parking, Is Metro an option?

All the other questions I can't think of right now.

BTW Isaac, I am fine with my schedule.  

I don't know if they have it posted of who is in charge of what, I just bother Isaac or Tom when I have a question.

Metro is definitely an option, and probably the best option. If you take the red line to Woodley Park Metro Station, the hotel is pretty much right there. Go towards the zoo after you get off the metro, turn left onto Woodley RD NW and then you are at the hotel!

Here is a map; 7wTdnt.png

Sorry I don't know the answers to your other questions and rather not guess and be wrong.

I'm good with my schedule.

Noted.Thank you.

is there a place on here that all this info is posted? A list of who's in charge on what? My life, probably like yours, is in such turmoil w a busy job, etc., that I am not on here as much as I'd like. Some of my questions include:

1. is there a command center where we meet each day to confirm assignments, pick up details, etc.?

2. If I am volunteering for 4 days do I also need to purchase a 4 day pass for the show?  

3. I just saw the part about parking, Is Metro an option?

All the other questions I can't think of right now.

BTW Isaac, I am fine with my schedule.  

Noted, thank you. In regards to your questions, I'll answer them as best I can:

1.) Yes, we are working on that. It will be the volunteer lounge, and I will update and inform everybody once we get the schedule finalized. Still some stragglers.

2.) From my understanding, each day that you volunteer, you will be able to enjoy the show afterwards, so I suppose it's up to you if you want to enjoy the banquet.

3.) I would metro, it is an option, and it looks like Jessica has put a map up there.

Was just at this hotel last night and this morning.  Very nice venue, large hotel with it's own full service and outstanding coffee shop, restaurants and meeting rooms.  Woodley park zoo (red line) metro stop is one block away.

converting the metro escalator into a nice marine waterfall would be awesome eye-catching addition if the organizers are looking for a small last minute idea.

getting excited - wish I had more time to spend at MACNA.

Thanks for the thoughts. We are definitly looking for more things to do :rolleyes:

Wish you had more time to spend as well.

I don't know if they have it posted of who is in charge of what, I just bother Isaac or Tom when I have a question.

Metro is definitely an option, and probably the best option. If you take the red line to Woodley Park Metro Station, the hotel is pretty much right there. Go towards the zoo after you get off the metro, turn left onto Woodley RD NW and then you are at the hotel!

Here is a map; 7wTdnt.png

Sorry I don't know the answers to your other questions and rather not guess and be wrong.

Thanks for posting this map! YES, METRO. Parking is expensive, METRO will be much cheaper!

Schedule is fine for me.

Is there any chance on my one day there I will be able to get an hour or two to at least walk around? 

Thank you for confirming. Yes, we will give you some time to check out the event!

Will the schedule be posted at MACNA?

We are tattooing it on Isaac's back. That's why everyone needs to confirm asap. He needs enough time to heal so it's legible by then.

Will the schedule be posted at MACNA?

We are tattooing it on Isaac's back. That's why everyone needs to confirm asap. He needs enough time to heal so it's legible by then.

This! So hopefully everybody is good with their schedules, Dave is still getting the hang of the needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! So hopefully everybody is good with their schedules, Dave is still getting the hang of the needle.

Sent you an e-mail

Sent you an e-mail

Replied.

• 2 weeks later...
OK WAMAS!

So you have your volunteer shifts, I've confirmed with just about all of you on exactly what you will be doing, and when you will be doing it. If you still have any questions about this, LET ME KNOW NOW!

Whether you are an attendee or volunteering, you should download the MACNA app.  It will help you stay on top of everything for the show.  You can download them here: 

For iPhone.
For Android.

The event, as I'm sure you all know, is at the Marriot at Wardman Park. If you are not staying there (and even if you are) parking is expensive. My advice is to take the metro. Here is a map.

Please plan in advance how long it will take you to get on site, and be prepared to arrive 15 minutes early for your shift. If your shift starts at 7am, please be there by 6:45am. You will report to the Volunteer Lounge, which will be located in the front of the atrium, on the left hand side. For those of you using the app, you can see the map there. Here is also a picture, for your convenience. 

lobby_zps2vnznu8q.png

When you check in, I will be providing you with your volunteer T-shirt (if checking in for the first time), and directions on where to go and who to meet with depending on your shift.There is no official uniform, other than the shirt we are providing to you as a volunteer, but I would suggest jeans or shorts if you will be working outside or possibly working up a sweat (feel free to bring a change of clothes if you wish). 

As you are wrapping up your shift, please wait until your relief arrives.  If they are running late, please keep doing your role until relieved.  We will try to keep things on track as best as we can.  When you are relieved, please come to the volunteer lounge and check out with me. I will be at the volunteer lounge half an hour before check in, and half an hour after, for each block shift for check in and check out.  Once you check out, I can provide you with whatever compensation you are eligible for based on the number of shifts worked so far.  Please make sure you receive any compensation at check out.  I have 100+ volunteers to keep track of so if you don't let me issue you the correct compensation or record your shift at checkout, I won't be able to do it later and you will miss out.

If you are a floater, you will still check in with me so I can see where to send you as needed. Please make sure your phone is fully charged, and you have provided me with your number. If we don't need you right away, you can roam the conference for a little bit but we need you ready to come back for a task when the need arises.  If you do not answer your phone when I need you, I might not be able to account for your rewards!  Please be prepared to work a task during your whole shift as there will be places which floaters are need.  As with everyone else, please come and check out at the end of your shift.

At this time we only have 1 T-shirt per volunteer.  Some of you are helping out on multiple days so I encourage you to bring another shirt to change into when you are done volunteering.  This will help keep your volunteer shirt clean for the next day.

Following shortly will be the updated Volunteer Schedule (it is too large to attach to the forum.) Green means that you've confirmed you can do your shift(s.) Yellow means you are going to be late, but you are coming for those shifts. If you do not have a color over your name, and you are scheduled, that means you have not told me you can work what is assigned, and I need you to do so immediately! 

I look forward to working with all of you, and putting on a great MACNA 2015!

Getting excited!

Lots of firsts for me!

First MACNA! Yay

First time riding the metro by myself (not so yay,lol)

First time really volunteering for wamas :)

And um yeah when I think of more I will add it to this list!

Can't wait to see everyone volunteering and having a great time!

I am scheduled for 8 hours, so does anyone have any ideas about lunch? Will we have a brief break time? Should I bring something or is there something in the hotel that isn't too high priced?

I am scheduled for 8 hours, so does anyone have any ideas about lunch? Will we have a brief break time? Should I bring something or is there something in the hotel that isn't too high priced?

I know today some refreshments were provided, can't attest to how tomorrow and so on will be (or how vegetarian friendly it will be, saw in your other reply you prefer vegetarian, we had pizza and water, not sure if vege pizza was there). The hotel food is kind of pricey, there are a lot of places to eat within walking distance of the hotel, I however have not been to them. And we are allowed breaks, you just need to have someone fill in for you (talk to Isaac/someone else in charge for more info).

There is a noodles within walking distance (right across the street from the metro) and they are vegetarian friendly.

I might be a few minutes late. Subway loudspeaker just announced a delay.

Still sitting on the subway. It went a couple stops, then announced delay again. Just passing Rhode island stop now.

Getting that sneak peak was fantastic - I think this weekend will be overwhelming!