Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

Did the hammer send out sweepers?

no, I am pretty certain that's not the work if the hammer. It's pretty far from the hammer. Looks close because of the pic angle.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaahhhh! Stu..id me!

Woke up this morning and though, oh crap! Forgot to shut off the rodi water. No worries, I have an asov in place!!

Ran down stair and basement got wet again. Fish room had almost 2" of water. Pull out the 2 shopvac and hope to clean up before the wife found out! But can't get past her

Turned out that the hose I used to get my water out of the Rodi reservior pinned down the float valve and prevent it from trigger the pressure on the asov! What a dum$ mistake!

Well on the bright side! I get to clean my own basement floor for free!!!

That floor drain is looking better and better everyday....

Sorry to hear that.

That floor drain is looking better and better everyday....

Sorry to hear that.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  No more $$ for floor drain and tons of dyi project to do this summer.

Next "flood," I have, my wife has made clear will be her, or a hobby shutdown.

LOL, yea the purpose of sealing the room is to keep the water in that room...not to keep it out and flood the rest of the basement........But of course you have your screen name which is  a bad omen :laugh:

Good Luck, remind her it is fresh water and you planned this to actually clean the floor! :tongue:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: my screen name is a constant reminder not to flood. but still flooded it anyway. maybe it a good thing, just testing out the boundary! If she don't mind a little wet floor now and then, maybe I can get me an indoor mini swimming pool.

Flood #2! Wife not as mad! Looks like she's used to it.

Man the humidity shot up to 90% down in the basement. Windows opened and running floor blower to dry the floor. Hopefully humidity will drop back down!

Not superstitious, but maybe I should change my screen name!

I already had a "small leak" too. Shop vac'd the carpet but it still has a slight musty smell to it. Figured ill just shampoo the whole thing when my project is done. Hope your done flooding the basement!

I already had a "small leak" too. Shop vac'd the carpet but it still has a slight musty smell to it. Figured ill just shampoo the whole thing when my project is done. Hope your done flooding the basement!

It would help alot if you can pull the carpet partially up and dry the padding below. If not, get a floor fan or carpet blower to help dry faster.

I hope done with flooding. But with this hobby, it's going to be hard!

Floor all dry, but still humid in the basement. 75%-80%. I am continue to run the floor fan for a few more days to see if humidity drop down to 70%. Maybe the water from the tank create all this humidity. might have to get a dehumidifier or install exhaust fan. 

- sps colony has not rnt since...hopefully will recover and grow back!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Updates please!!

Sorry guys! been super busy over the summer but still hang on to the hobby. However, loss a few small colonies for no apparent reason. 

will get some photo when I get a chance.

So, I am back!!!!

Last summer was crazy! tons of projects and chores. 

Anyway, I didn't make any progress toward the tank build. The only thing I got for the basement is a dehumidifier. This thing is awesome and brought down the humidity in the basement to 60%.

C558A1EC-DB88-4895-B2B1-080813F3FBFD_zps

Here is a few shots of the tanks

57695A4A-1F03-460F-BB67-9A7BCE0B55DC_zps

71DAC5BB-2F5F-4C8B-9D5F-A60ED34A7A77_zps

D50E545F-0754-4B56-BD2E-1EE61F89F962_zps

E6C0009E-65F5-4AFC-BEA1-FFCBC069BFD3_zps

(edited)

here is one of the project that I had to build quickly over the summer. Still have lot of landscaping and building to do. But I can take my time with it now that the fish are all transferred into it. 

It's about 4000 Gallons and mostly above ground.

04107BCC-EFE3-4BB8-A6D5-A8403AC7E6D5_zps

A853EF04-8679-46EA-BB56-94E4662464F0_zps

Edited by flooddc

Wow, thats a bunch of pond.  Really cool.

thanks, 

I set 300 cinder blocks, mixed 6400 lbs (80 bags) of cement by hand and wrestle 300 pounds of pond liner all by myself. But, I think it's worth it.  

Chuck, there is a LOT of water in your life, you might actually have enough to really flood DC! Tanks look good!

Flood #2! Wife not as mad! Looks like she's used to it.

Man the humidity shot up to 90% down in the basement. Windows opened and running floor blower to dry the floor. Hopefully humidity will drop back down!

Not superstitious, but maybe I should change my screen name!

Wow I have been paranoid about floods. I have a tub liner in my send and another behind the tank. I folded the corners so they can both hold two inches of water. Hopefully tonight I will get my leak detectors back in. My general strategy is find / fix before its a big problem.

Chuck, there is a LOT of water in your life, you might actually have enough to really flood DC! Tanks look good!

thanks!

growing up by the river during my childhood years so water has always attracts me.    

Wow I have been paranoid about floods. I have a tub liner in my send and another behind the tank. I folded the corners so they can both hold two inches of water. Hopefully tonight I will get my leak detectors back in. My general strategy is find / fix before its a big problem.

well floods were my fault. When I build the fishroom, I sealed around the 2x4's so it would hold about 100 gallons on the floor should there is a leak or flood. Also, I added 3 leak detectors and have been paying more attention when I turn on my rodi. I only run it once a month and shut down when not in use.

Wow, that is impressive pond. I am too have forgot to turn off the rodi several times and have cleaned my basement so many times too.

Thanks

Wow chuck that tank is stunning. Yea any time I get RTN I usually trace it back to alk swings or low alk, calcium. Sometimes it happens weeks before I see RTN and I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to take much. That pond is so cool I need to put one in at my new house also. The property is sloped so I will have to build a retaining wall at lower end. You should drop a channel catfish in that thing! HUGE

Chuck, suggest one of these for your christmas present:

http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/barrel-tender

Or could change his handle to "floodDC_NOVA_MD"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Wow chuck that tank is stunning. Yea any time I get RTN I usually trace it back to alk swings or low alk, calcium. Sometimes it happens weeks before I see RTN and I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to take much. That pond is so cool I need to put one in at my new house also. The property is sloped so I will have to build a retaining wall at lower end. You should drop a channel catfish in that thing! HUGE

yeah! my alk is at the low end and I THINK that the cause of death to some my my colonies and frags. I also, just notice today that I have been running my salinity @ 1.03 for many many months (possible 5-6 months). Just discovered that my refractometer was way off. I usually do about 45 gallons water change and use the whole 50gal bag+some and never bother to re-calibrate my refractometer until today when I have a feeling something was not right and took out my backup refractometer to double check. I wonder if this has anything to do with slow growth of my corals! 

PS! there is a guy on CL (in gaithersburg) selling a large pond liner 41x24 for 250 if you don't have one yet. I paid close to 800 for mine (50x20)

Chuck, suggest one of these for your christmas present:

http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/barrel-tender

sound cool, but I preferred to manually add top-off water to the top-off reservoir. I had a failed sensor once and dumped all the water from the top-off into the DT and almost flood the sump. Also, I preferred to completely shutoff the rodi main water valve just in case one of the JG fitting slipped off. Happened once before and flooded the restroom area. Now I am very carefully and try my best not to ever flood again.

Or could change his handle to "floodDC_NOVA_MD"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol flood DC is plenty enough. No need to flood other area.

Edited by flooddc