Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, after several years my ORA tomato clownfish laid her first batch right underneath my frogspawn branch. Her mate is a Fire clown. There are lots of drama between them for quite a while.

Her original mate was another ORA tomato. But a few years ago, the Fire clown decided to woo her and harassed the smaller male tomato. Then a few month ago, he had successfully driven the male tomato to end his lonely life and jump out of the tank. Now they are making babies together.

061CB379-468A-44A5-A36C-42461F6E0F62_zps

98CD4150-9CD4-42B7-A41B-47A4BD821018_zps

• 1 month later...

Well, 

I made a critical error and ended up losing about 1/4 of my fish.  :cry: to marine velvet.

about 6 weeks ago, I added a healthy tiny fish that was in my friend system for more than 6 months, but totally forgot that the fish was in contact with a newly added fish. Anyway, I was quite down and almost call it quit. The remaining fish are doing well for almost 3 weeks now. It appears like they are immune to it now. I GUESSED! I hope. Only time will tell.

chuck, sorry to hear about the deaths - that's tragic and never easy to hear or see it happen. I don't know if more folks are just more willing to share negative experiences or MV from certain suppliers are becoming more prevalent but I've helped a much larger number of folks this year so far than last.

are you certain it was MV? has your friend lost the other fish he had in contact with the new fish (presumably the culprit)? do remember that immunity it is thought to last only about six months. if certain of the diagnosis I would strongly encourage you to begin treatment immediately to avoid further issues now and/or down the road. even if you never add fish and your existing population stays immune forever you still have to worry about contamination via aerosol, corals/frags shared, inverts/macro, basically anything wet that is shared.

if you would like further support or detail on how to put an action plan together, feel free to PM and i'll be happy to assist. thank you for willingness to share my friend. g'luck!

Edited by monkiboy

Sorry to hear. I know it's tough seeing them drop like flies. I only lost a handful of fish to MV and it was hard. I would also recommend setting up a HT and start treating your remaining fish. Let your tanks run through a fallow period to starve it out. Will feel like a major pain, but will give you peace of mind in the long run.

chuck, sorry to hear about the deaths - that's tragic and never easy to hear or see it happen. I don't know if more folks are just more willing to share negative experiences or MV from certain suppliers are becoming more prevalent but I've helped a much larger number of folks this year so far than last.

are you certain it was MV? has your friend lost the other fish he had in contact with the new fish (presumably the culprit)? do remember that immunity it is thought to last only about six months. if certain of the diagnosis I would strongly encourage you to begin treatment immediately to avoid further issues now and/or down the road. even if you never add fish and your existing population stays immune forever you still have to worry about contamination via aerosol, corals/frags shared, inverts/macro, basically anything wet that is shared.

if you would like further support or detail on how to put an action plan together, feel free to PM and i'll be happy to assist. thank you for willingness to share my friend. g'luck!

Thanks Marcos,

I am not 100% certain, but symptoms is very similar to what I read online. Most of the fish that died very quickly, look healthy one day and gone within half a day to a day after I notice spots on them. They died one after another as if they move from one fish to another after the fish died. the two clownfish are the one that seem to put up longer fight 3-5 days. 

The last fish that was infected was the female tomato clownfish  but then within 3-4 days, she back to normal and the rest of the fish seem okay thereafter. Since then (3 weeks), no other sign of disease on any of the fish. 

I have done more frequent water changes to keep the pristine. hopefully will not re-infected again. Thank you for your kind offer to help out.

Sorry to hear. I know it's tough seeing them drop like flies. I only lost a handful of fish to MV and it was hard. I would also recommend setting up a HT and start treating your remaining fish. Let your tanks run through a fallow period to starve it out. Will feel like a major pain, but will give you peace of mind in the long run.

Thanks Eric,

I have too many fish in my system to get them into a HT. Also, I don't want to stress them out even more by trying to catch them. I believed that they are immune and should do fine if I don't put any new fish anytime soon. I HOPE! 

Dang chuck sorry for the loss. Lmk if I can help.

thanks bud! I'll just take it easy until confidence that it's all gone and restock down the line with some hardy damsels :)

I feel you. I had a 100% loss from MV a few months ago. Made me feel like a bad Dad.

wow! sorry to hear! It's sux, but I am glad to see you re-bounce. I'd have call it quit if I loss all. 

I have been very careful over the past few years never to add new fish from suppliers and only get fish from hobbyist that I am sure to have been in their system for a while. This was just one unfortunate accident. On the other hand, it was a wake up call and lesson learned experience. I'll have an observation holding tank  or maybe a QT set up should I obtain new fish in the future.

Sorry I'm so late seeing your picture below, but those 2x8's on the joist hangers appear to be green in color.  Are they pressure treated lumber?  I hope it's just the lighting and camera, and that they are not treated.

Sacrifice 3-4 inches in height and redo the stand using 2x8's and moved added 2 posts closer together for a 5' span instead of 6.6'.

Laminated 3 strips of 8" plywood together and attached to the 2x8's. I think this should be plenty to support the distributed weight of the tanks.

IMG_2853_zpsd9f66ceb.jpg

IMG_2854_zps0f8b475e.jpg

Master electrician is suppose to come by today and install 3 lines for the tanks. One line will be connect to the manual backup generator.  

I've just stopped adding fish! Sorry to hear about the losses, Chuck. I've never heard of any fish surviving MV without treatment, but that's just what I've heard, no first hand experience. Are you sure that's what it was?

(edited)

Sorry I'm so late seeing your picture below, but those 2x8's on the joist hangers appear to be green in color.  Are they pressure treated lumber?  I hope it's just the lighting and camera, and that they are not treated.

Yes, they are pressure treated. Are we not suppose to use pressure treated? 

PS. I have also painted it with dry-lok 

Edited by flooddc

I've just stopped adding fish! Sorry to hear about the losses, Chuck. I've never heard of any fish surviving MV without treatment, but that's just what I've heard, no first hand experience. Are you sure that's what it was?

Thanks Issac,

As I mentioned in earlier post. I am not 100% certain, but the symptoms are relatively similar to what I read online. With so many fatality within a short period of time, it's has to be it. I read that natural immunity treatment is not the best but possible and that if the fish are not stressed, their immune system will eventually take care of the infection.  

My tomato clownfish just laid another batch of eggs. This time they are blue/purple? was a different color (browish) last time. pretty interesting as to why the color changed.

B4F903AA-D2E1-4C6C-8851-7E3E463836F9_zps

Well, My tanks has a bitty fishy activity :happy: . Looks like the six-line is about to spawn anytime soon.

I have seen it pregnant many time but this time appears to be a spawn dance between the pair. 

Enjoy!