Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

Installed overflow on the cube today. Hopefully will get the tank clean up and ready to plumbing soon.

image_zpsy0jycbso.jpg

Bought some pipes (1" and 3/4") and fitting last night and realized this morning that I got the 1/2" instead of 3/4". uhh! another trip to the store.

image_zpsywd9gvol.jpg

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grrrr!

Caught up with work and decided to work on the tank. Poured few gallons into the tank and realized it's not leveled. 1/4" off on one side. I leveled the stand before we put tanks on. I thought I double check it. Now got to figure best way to do it.

Got my build posted on RC as well. Got an advice on using leveling compound to level the stand. This would be nice if I take the tanks down. Since I can't wait to get help, I decided to go plan B. With the help of my 9 year old, I managed to lift the 210 up on some 2x4's and removed most screws on the top of the stand.

Drop the tank back down and shims underneath the plywood top.

Tanks are now leveled!

Not fun, but good job :clap:

Nice work! Now the fun part!

Looking like you got some skills boy. Tagging along!!!

Thank you gentlemen! Google is my friend  :happy:

Filling the tanks up with freshwater and will give them a nice clean bath. 

Need to go PU my troughs that I ordered (Home and Farm services). Found them by accident, didn't know there are lot of small local businesses around my area. 

You shoulda called me, chuck. I woulda helped you. I need to drop off your fan too.

Thanks Bro! I know you guys would help. I wanted to test my manhood strength Hahaha!

my little one been bugging me about getting her a small tank so she can have some of my asterina starfish, So I am training her by letting her help.

Beside, I am saving your strength to help me move the water, LR and live stock very very soon...

How the basement? did you have to replace the carpet?

Haha nice.

Getting laminate put down on the first floor. They're almost done with the kitchen. My tank is wrapped in bubble wrap. I'm so nervous about it.

Why? Plan on moving the tank?

They're installing laminate around the tank. Tanks going nowhere

Cool! Newer laminate flooring looks very close to hardwood. Sometime you cam't even tell it apart without getting on your hands and knees.

(edited)

Filled up both tanks yesterday and gave them a nice clean up. Drain them out to the yard. Unfortinately, we don't have drain in the basement and sumps are sealed since we have high level of radon.

Actually, we have rough-in and sanitize sump, but I have not incorporate my plan in using them yet.

Drilled the refugium/sump. Template guide make a drilling so much easier.

D121EF4B-BC1C-4C74-A487-48A43F35CA9B_zps

D329A62D-2EFD-4CDE-897D-8F575642CA60_zps

Edited by flooddc

Actually, we have rough-in and sanitize sump, but I have not incorporate my plan in using them yet

The smaller of what's probably two roughed in drains in the floor is probably for a bathtub or shower. It should have a p-trap built-in below the basement slab. If you can open this and put a temporary cap on it (to close it off when you're not using it), you can run a hose into it and use it as an occasional drain. Just be sure that you cap it off if you're only using it very occasionally. Water in the p-trap seals out sewer gasses so they don't get into the house, so it's necessary to keep water in it if it's not capped off. 

I also flush the P traps with tap water every week at work, the still water sometimes gets stinky if they don't see a lot of action.

The smaller of what's probably two roughed in drains in the floor is probably for a bathtub or shower. It should have a p-trap built-in below the basement slab. If you can open this and put a temporary cap on it (to close it off when you're not using it), you can run a hose into it and use it as an occasional drain. Just be sure that you cap it off if you're only using it very occasionally. Water in the p-trap seals out sewer gasses so they don't get into the house, so it's necessary to keep water in it if it's not capped off. 

Thanks Tom,

I have walk up basement and septic. So any drain in the basement must be pump up into the septic via the sanitize sump. I could probably feed my drain water hose right into the sanitize sump and let it pump dirty saltwater into the septic. However, I read online that saltwater is not good for the septic, but considering it's not that much saltwater (maybe 50 gallons/ bi-week) and will probable diluted by the time it hit the drain field. On the other hand, failed septic not only cost lot of money, but lots and lots of headache :happy:

Maybe I can put a sump pump into the brute trashcan and run a long hose out into the street each time I do water changes. Hopefully the neighbors are not too nosy.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm on septic, too. My basement is walk out, though, so my septic tank is below all of my drains, and emptied by gravity. I don't know much about the sanitize sump, though, and whether salt water would cause issues (over the long haul) with the reliability of the pump that's in there. When I change my water, it goes right into the drain. When you consider how much water we use taking showers, doing laundry, etc., the amount of water that goes in is a fraction of what we use and the salt is not an issue. Plus, as you said, it is very much diluted by the time that it hits the drainfield. 

Thanks Tom,

I have walk up basement and septic. So any drain in the basement must be pump up into the septic via the sanitize sump. I could probably feed my drain water hose right into the sanitize sump and let it pump dirty saltwater into the septic. However, I read online that saltwater is not good for the septic, but considering it's not that much saltwater (maybe 50 gallons/ bi-week) and will probable diluted by the time it hit the drain field. On the other hand, failed septic not only cost lot of money, but lots and lots of headache :happy:

Maybe I can put a sump pump into the brute trashcan and run a long hose out into the street each time I do water changes. Hopefully the neighbors are not too nosy.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I researched this and came up with the feeling that the saltwater will not hurt it. I am going to be running almost 500g of saltwater and am not worried about it with my septic. Supposedly laundry detergent and dish washing soap both have high salt content.

Or you could just get a mag pump and brute and throw a pvc pipe out as if it were a sump pump.....bury the line out to your drain field and just remeber where the line is...aka...wrap it in wire so it can be easily found with those locators

I'm on septic, too. My basement is walk out, though, so my septic tank is below all of my drains, and emptied by gravity. I don't know much about the sanitize sump, though, and whether salt water would cause issues (over the long haul) with the reliability of the pump that's in there. When I change my water, it goes right into the drain. When you consider how much water we use taking showers, doing laundry, etc., the amount of water that goes in is a fraction of what we use and the salt is not an issue. Plus, as you said, it is very much diluted by the time that it hits the drainfield. 

I might use the sanitize sump to drain my saltwater. I don't plan on building a bathroom in my basement since I don't like the idea of pumping waste up and into the septic. Not mention, when the sanitize pump failed (eew!).

I researched this and came up with the feeling that the saltwater will not hurt it. I am going to be running almost 500g of saltwater and am not worried about it with my septic. Supposedly laundry detergent and dish washing soap both have high salt content.

I searched and really there no proof or dis-proof that saltwater damage septic. Same with neutralizer and water softener. Some claimed that backwash damage septic and other claimed it doesn't. So it all came down to, whether you comfortable flushing stuffs into the septic. I am learning from You! always overkill to be safe. 

Or you could just get a mag pump and brute and throw a pvc pipe out as if it were a sump pump.....bury the line out to your drain field and just remeber where the line is...aka...wrap it in wire so it can be easily found with those locators

I am liking this but probably go with the big sump pump. my mag 18 is barely pump much water out the back yard. Took 4 hours to empty 200+ gallons of water.

Flooddc:  "I searched and really there no proof or dis-proof that saltwater damage septic. Same with neutralizer and water softener. Some claimed that backwash damage septic and other claimed it doesn't. So it all came down to, whether you comfortable flushing stuffs into the septic. I am learning from You! always overkill to be safe."

One thing I didn't think of till you mentioned it is the water softener (I think that is what it is, don't have a well, but I know there are 50lb bags of it in the isle at HD.), basically that is pure salt. So if you have well water and a septic field you are already dumping hundreds of pounds of salt in your field every year..

PU my two stock tanks.

Bought the 100G for temporary holding tank and cheap!

Got the 95G because of it's dimension and to use as sump.

Turned out the 100 fit much better. The 95 is too high. Lucky break

1F336737-DB54-4327-8475-5D4F0F4D5EBD_zps

248B9BA3-7322-40DA-A1B9-4DBD5D098A27_zps

Toying around with the return idea today. Originally, I wad going to do a simple flexible tubes return, but decided to make a manifold instead. The plan is to run 2 Mag18 into the manifold and 2 returns to the 210g and 1 return for the 93g. This should give me at least 6-8x turn over rate.849EA878-153B-4F81-B2D8-C76BF48A5953_zps

CB2ABD5C-EDC7-42E7-A77E-B5CB6830E8F4_zps